Post-Game Talk: Capitals 3, Penguins 1 - Rage Rage Against The Dying Of the Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I would love Zucker to be producing more, but he's not the reason Geno's slumping. But, again, swap the top two LWs. By all means. Whatever gets the lines working better and/or quiets the "Zucker sucks, we wasted assets, he's the reason Geno's not scoring" crowd. Not saying that's you, but it seems pretty prevalent around here lately.

I think Geno's just getting old, and has zero confidence in his game right now. That combo results in a mess on the ice.

He doesn't suck but he also isn't especially good. He tries hard and has good skills and skating, but doesn't have the offensive IQ to complement play at all. He'd be better an an elite bottom-sixer who can create goals out of random bouts of individual skill, or with a center who plays a simpler game than Malkin & Crosby.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is what I sit and want to say to Sully :laugh:

But if you are talking about my thoughts on the team. My track record is impeccable so I will trust my gut. Even if @KIRK is nervous out of his ass.

I'm not nervous.

As I told you a month ago, every Penguins game for me is a win-win right now.

Last game was good for a short-sighted cheap pop as a Penguins fan.

This one was good because it put things one step closer to the type of changes that actually might still have a chance to make a difference.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This is what I sit and want to say to Sully :laugh:

But if you are talking about my thoughts on the team. My track record is impeccable so I will trust my gut. Even if @KIRK is nervous out of his ass.

I'm talking about Sullivan and the organization. The team has potential and we only need a few pieces. But this coach shows no sign of being able to put them together. There are line combinations that have not been tried at all that could help but because Sullivan can't stand being wrong he will not try them. Players are individuals out there.

Reactions: ColePens

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He doesn't suck but he also isn't especially good. He tries hard and has good skills and skating, but doesn't have the offensive IQ to complement play at all. He'd be better an an elite bottom-sixer who can create goals out of random bouts of individual skill, or with a center who plays a simpler game than Malkin & Crosby.
The Zucker you're seeing is the Rust we've seen time and again when he's not on a streaky scoring run. They're the same player, imo.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They should split up Malkin and Zucker but let's not kid anyone, that 2nd line is struggling because Malkin is playing like ass. And has played like ass all this year.

And if he stops playing like ass when they are split, it will be because he stopped playing like ass and not because it was a cluster**** with Zucker . . .

Am I doing this right?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Zucker you're seeing is the Rust we've seen time and again when he's not on a streaky scoring run. They're the same player, imo.

Rust is better than Zucker.

Rust can run hot and cold but understands space and offense better than Zucker. And he's right handed which is rarer somewhat.

I get the similarity though.

I don't think Zucker's a fit here unless we intend him to be the main offensive threat on L3.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
And my last picture after watching more... this is the exact problem on our 5 v 5
upload_2021-2-16_19-14-46.png

I can show you multiple shots of the Bruins in the same instances. Our system is f***ing bad...
1. notice the depth vs ours
2. notice they can challenge all positions
3. they don't go crazy and charge just close the gap and make you pass or shoot fast.
upload_2021-2-16_19-21-23.png

This is the Islanders vs us... same thing. I'd rather pressure and lose instead of watch the other team cycle on us for 2 minutes.

You can't fault our players for this deep of a drop. No way you can make it to points or pressure puck. This coach is dogshit.... and by extension Sully is too.
upload_2021-2-16_19-25-34.png

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Rust is better than Zucker.

Rust can run hot and cold but understands space and offense better than Zucker. And he's right handed which is rarer somewhat.

I get the similarity though.

I don't think Zucker's a fit here unless we intend him to be the main offensive threat on L3.
I'd love to run a Zucker-TB-Kapanen 3rd line. That'd be an insane 3rd line. But we have no LW depth whatsoever, and while I was hopeful one of the kids would force his way onto the team outta camp, didn't happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd love to run a Zucker-TB-Kapanen 3rd line. That'd be an insane 3rd line. But we have no LW depth whatsoever, and while I was hopeful one of the kids would force his way onto the team outta camp, didn't happen.

You can't tell me ZAR-Malkin-Tanev + Zucker-TB-Kap could be any worse than Zucker-Malkin-Kap + BART.

(I know it's not saying much, but it's also true)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And if he stops playing like ass when they are split, it will be because he stopped playing like ass and not because it was a cluster**** with Zucker . . .

Am I doing this right?

If Malkin is the kind of player that plays like shit unless you have the perfect linemates for him, he's guilty of a felony level robbery from the Penguins by taking a $9.5 million salary.

But yes, keep trying to excuse Malkin's performance because he doesn't play with literally the perfect linemates. Apparently his struggles are justified because he's not playing with the RIGHT top-6 wingers, just playing with 2 top-6 wingers isn't good enough.

Same can be said about Zucker. He gets no benefit of doubt from me. He sucks.

Zucker has performed way closer to his pay grade this year than Malkin has.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I'd love Zucker-TB-Kappy. Move Tanev up with Malkin and trade Dumo for a winger who compliments them. I'd rather have Tanev at LW personally. I don't like wingers on their opposite sides.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk the fact that Malkin sucks with 2 wingers as good as Kapanen and Zucker tells me one of 2 things:

1. Malkin is a shell of what he once was, because he used to be an excellent forward with shit like Boychuk, Tangradi and whatnot on his LW
2. Malkin is committing highway robbery by getting paid $9.5 million, because a player who needs specific top-6 linemates to not play like shit isn't a $9.5 million player

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You can't tell me ZAR-Malkin-Tanev + Zucker-TB-Kap could be any worse than Zucker-Malkin-Kap + BART.

(I know it's not saying much, but it's also true)
I mean, you'd better be giving that Geno line 4th line minutes. :laugh: A badly slumping Geno with two bona fide 4th liners does not inspire a lot of confidence. But, that TB line should be unreal, so I don't know.

I have no clue what to even think anymore. I'm basically just ready for The Big Sell™ already. Trade Letang this off-season. Ask Geno if he wants to chase a 4th Cup somewhere else or if he wants to finish his contract (and probably NHL career) here. Listen to offers on Rust, Zucker, Dumo, Kap, Hell, even Jake.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I hear you, but I don't know what the options are without breaking up the one good thing working - Guentzel-Crosby-Rust.

Do you really want to put Aston-Reese and Tanev with Malkin? If Jared McCann were healthy, I'd suggest him. Geno needs someone to remind him to be aggressive and at least McCann will shoot. I don't think a couple of grinders is what he needs right now, because Zucker and Kapanen are both capable of playing along the boards.

The only palatable option for Geno right now is Guentzel and Rust. Maybe you split the difference. But I worry you're going to completely torpedo the team if you break up the one line that's generating scoring chances.
they are not

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Idk the fact that Malkin sucks with 2 wingers as good as Kapanen and Zucker tells me one of 2 things:

1. Malkin is a shell of what he once was, because he used to be an excellent forward with shit like Boychuk, Tangradi and whatnot on his LW
2. Malkin is committing highway robbery by getting paid $9.5 million, because a player who needs specific top-6 linemates to not play like shit isn't a $9.5 million player
3. Geno's head is a mess and he's got zero confidence in himself after shitting the bed two playoffs in a row and starting this season playing miserable hockey.

Probably a combination of all three, to some degree or another.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
If Malkin is the kind of player that plays like shit unless you have the perfect linemates for him, he's guilty of a felony level robbery from the Penguins by taking a $9.5 million salary.

But yes, keep trying to excuse Malkin's performance because he doesn't play with literally the perfect linemates. Apparently his struggles are justified because he's not playing with the RIGHT top-6 wingers, just playing with 2 top-6 wingers isn't good enough.

Your posts are so off I'm glad I'm ignored. Yeah, because Malkin has needed the perfect linemates on his way to a Hall of Fame career. Geez

Reactions: bganch17

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Someone had a nice red herring for dinner.

Because Malkin sucks with Zucker, he's only good with perfect linemates.

You literally just argued that.

Truth be told, all of your bad takes through the years, that one may rank as the worst one yet.

Well done.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
3. Geno's head is a mess and he's got zero confidence in himself after shitting the bed two playoffs in a row and starting this season playing miserable hockey.

Probably a combination of all three, to some degree or another.

Actually, Malkin was more productive than Crosby against the Islanders, but the rest of your point is in the ballpark.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad