Post-Game Talk: Capitals 3, Penguins 1 - Rage Rage Against The Dying Of the Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This isn't a pretty good team, and they aren't lazy. The analysis coming out of these games has gotten as unbearable as the games. The lines don't fit and they haven't all season. It's a bunch of individuals out there and Sullivan is stale. What do you want? The puck moves faster than players and we are always behind.

I remember reading this back in 15. I remember people calling me crazy and saying they need a full rebuild with no prospects.

But I digress.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Meh. Hextall clearly has some work to do. Thought Jarry was pretty good so that’s a positive. Zucker and the 4th line are obvious problems right now. Don’t know if Zucker is turning into Perron or what but a guy like him who plays a simple game shouldn’t be having such a hard time doing it.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I missed the first two periods and saw only the third, but based on what I saw, IF that's true, then yikes.
he was skating, on PP he was commending, distributing, shooting, had really goo 4-5 shots that could easily get in...anyways..really low bar but he was in control of puck, like Tanev thing just to go in corners and fight for pucks...hope there is someone better than zucker to play with

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
sometimes we need a little bit of luck got zero tonight...even with 5 or whatever PKs we had 46 shot attempts...most from the blue line but still, no tips, no rebounds and tips, lucky bounces...first two posts we score...different game...

we had some bad post luck on the PP but after that it wasn’t bad luck...we got no rebounds, tips etc because we weren’t in position in front of the goalie to get them...also has anyone noticed that we really only have four skilled forwards and the Caps have like 6 players who can really shoot the puck...

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I remember reading this back in 15. I remember people calling me crazy and saying they need a full rebuild with no prospects.

But I digress.

ALe4.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

But I digress.

Sid and Geno are 5 years older.

And it took a coaching change and the GM nailing every single in season move for the turn around to happen.

Hextall has the pieces (Zucker, one of Pets/Dumo, etc) to make moves like JR made in November and December 2015. BUT, if he doesn't change coaches first, it will be all for naught.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
:laugh: Probably, and I don't think it'd change much anyway. Geno's in his own mind too much right now, and linemates aren't changing that.

Zucker certainly isn't.

NOT Zucker might.

At the very least, replacing Zucker with NOT Zucker couldn't make things any worse.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Of course Malkin isn't playing well, and that's an obscenely charitable way to put it.

Which is why most coaches (almost every coach to be exact) would change the one constant during the entire slump.
I hear you, but I don't know what the options are without breaking up the one good thing working - Guentzel-Crosby-Rust.

Do you really want to put Aston-Reese and Tanev with Malkin? If Jared McCann were healthy, I'd suggest him. Geno needs someone to remind him to be aggressive and at least McCann will shoot. I don't think a couple of grinders is what he needs right now, because Zucker and Kapanen are both capable of playing along the boards.

The only palatable option for Geno right now is Guentzel and Rust. Maybe you split the difference. But I worry you're going to completely torpedo the team if you break up the one line that's generating scoring chances.

Reactions: canadianguy77

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
At some point a decent team on a 4 game skid will play well which the Capitals did but as I've said, not blaming this just on Defense player or Jarry but god damn.

The 3 goals were "textbook" f***ing bad... Like I said, go back and look at the last other 15, we need to start f***ing covering people. I wish the media would bring this shit up...

upload_2021-2-16_19-9-47.png

upload_2021-2-16_19-10-57.png

upload_2021-2-16_19-11-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-16_19-10-23.png
    upload_2021-2-16_19-10-23.png
    517.1 KB · Views: 1

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hear you, but I don't know what the options are without breaking up the one good thing working - Guentzel-Crosby-Rust.

Do you really want to put Aston-Reese and Tanev with Malkin? If Jared McCann were healthy, I'd suggest him. Geno needs someone to remind him to be aggressive and at least McCann will shoot. I don't think a couple of grinders is what he needs right now, because Zucker and Kapanen are both capable of playing along the boards.

The only palatable option for Geno right now is Guentzel and Rust. Maybe you split the difference. But I worry you're going to completely torpedo the team if you break up the one line that's generating scoring chances.

Actually, yeah, I want ZAR and Tanev with Malkin. Or a flip of ZAR and Zucker.

Failing that, I'm afraid Ron Hextall is the last hope here.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I wouldn't say this team needs a rebuild to win. The key players are still here. What they do need, though, is a spark to get them back to a competitive level.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think Sully has run his course.

At best a coaching change sparks the whole lineup, and we extend the window a little longer before the inevitable.

At worst we find out coaching wasn't the problem at which point....the inevitable comes quicker.

Oh it is most certainly the coaching. This system (sponsored by red bull) is the problem.

Sully wants to create plays from pressure. No actual play making takes place when you watch these games.

Last game they actually made a few, but those were the outliers this season.

Caps weathered the storm and just took over with slow methodical hockey... something the penguins have not done for a long... loooooooong time.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Guentzel Crosby Rust isn't working. They are three good players and they looked good against shitty teams. Just one week ago they looked awful. People hyping them up like they are unstoppable.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker certainly isn't.

NOT Zucker might.

At the very least, replacing Zucker with NOT Zucker couldn't make things any worse.
I would love Zucker to be producing more, but he's not the reason Geno's slumping. But, again, swap the top two LWs. By all means. Whatever gets the lines working better and/or quiets the "Zucker sucks, we wasted assets, he's the reason Geno's not scoring" crowd. Not saying that's you, but it seems pretty prevalent around here lately.

I think Geno's just getting old, and has zero confidence in his game right now. That combo results in a mess on the ice.

Reactions: canadianguy77

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't say this team needs a rebuild to win. They do need, however, is a spark to get them back to a competitive level.

A couple of sparks.

A coaching change and a couple of other shrewd moves by the GM.

Like 2009 or 2015.

It's not a guarantee, but it's the only way there's a chance.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Actually, yeah, I want ZAR and Tanev with Malkin. Or a flip of ZAR and Zucker.

Failing that, I'm afraid Ron Hextall is the last hope here.
I think any combination of Zucker, Kapanen, Aston-Reese, Tanev, or Lafferty is going to result in the same.

When Malkin is engaged, then those types of players can do well for him. But when he's in his head like he is now, he needs more offensive firepower. He needs someone who can convert the handful of positive plays he generates and put them in the back of the net.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would love Zucker to be producing more, but he's not the reason Geno's slumping. But, again, swap the top two LWs. By all means. Whatever gets the lines working better and/or quiets the "Zucker sucks, we wasted assets, he's the reason Geno's not scoring" crowd. Not saying that's you, but it seems pretty prevalent around here lately.

I think Geno's just getting old, and has zero confidence in his game right now. That combo results in a mess on the ice.

It would be a lot easier to find out if you're right if the coach actually changed the last constant variable during Malkin's slump to see if it made a difference. :laugh:

(I know you agree, by the way)

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think any combination of Zucker, Kapanen, Aston-Reese, Tanev, or Lafferty is going to result in the same.

When Malkin is engaged, then those types of players can do well for him. But when he's in his head like he is now, he needs more offensive firepower. He needs someone who can convert the handful of positive plays he generates and put them in the back of the net.

f*** I mean you and other people say that but you don't want to try it to see. Who the f*** cares what MIGHT happen? Try it. Because we KNOW what is happening isn't working.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Two of those five players are not the same as the other three right now.

Lafferty is ******* awful, and Zucker isn't far behind. Kapanen, ZAR, and Tanev are light years better than those three right now.

It may NOT make a difference separating Malkin and Zucker, but it's simply pathetic coaching on Sullivan's part not to at least try, because it couldn't possibly be any worse.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

And sorry, but no. Malkin doesn't gain confidence by people he has no chemistry with putting a couple pucks in the net. He gains confidence from puck possession and cycling in the offensive zone leading to chances. Those chances always lead to goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad