Post-Game Talk: Cap team 5, Mickey Mouse team 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I totally overlooked the rest of that quote and didn't even listen to the rest after being flabbergasted when I heard ''They're a cap''.

He's saying Tyler Johnson is still backchecking during a 5 to 1 games. So basically he's almost also saying if not subconsciously that he's not doing a good enough job getting the guys to compete. That's almost what that sounds like to me.

So if that's the case, he can't keep using that excuse after we have 3 or 4 more of these if he's still here.

What's he gonna say next game? ''You see LA, they're a really hardworking team. They got a lot of guys who just pressure you and don't give up. They beat us to a lot of 50/50 pucks and were better with puck management''. Just wait until he starts saying that about teams that aren't good. It'll be like ''Tough Building'' in every building across the league, no matter where. And god forbid he implicates himself to be a worse motivator than Willie frickin Desjardins or Randy Carlyle.

This is getting into "Tough Building" and "Ya Know" territory. But that was already mentioned earlier in the GDT tonight. I forget who, but it was rightly placed and timed.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was genuinely curious at what your thoughts since you are goalie-audit-ground-zero for us here. I may have missed some of your earlier posts this season saying similar....so thanks if rehashed (and pulling it back in the live thread).

Cory shouldn't be entitled, i feel, but at least should get a bit more leash that a starter should get, particularly post-recovery this season.. I guess maybe its the same thing, perhaps and given Hynes is about to get canned if he keeps it up, i understand where Hynes is coming. I guess my point is, part of it Hynes fueled the problem himself.

I do agree that it is very telling that Hynes has chosen Kinkaid over Cory and that is really bad, but I guess I was looking at it not being only Cory sucking, but a combination of bad player management, personal bad play by Cory when it counted. I guess I feel he's still got stuff left in tank in career and it is more a coach-able problem than a career-ending skills-drain problem. If you get me?
I've been of the opinion that no matter what happened last year with the playoffs, Cory's likely not returning to being good again. The best we can hope for is an average goalie and I think that's too much to ask for right now. Of all the once elite goalies that lost their game for multiple years, only Pekka Rinne has returned to form. I mean, even the guy across the river. Yeah, he wasn't that good the last couple seasons and he looked like he was definitely declining, even though he's been great this year and looks like the Lundqvist of old. But even he wasn't as bad as Cory's last two years in his last two years.

I have no problem with Hynes lack of usage with Cory. The only time I think he could have used Cory more was in that Toronto game where he left Keith in there all night, despite the fact that he allowed 5 in 2 periods. He could have given Cory a warmup for the rest of that game instead of throwing him in against Winnipeg the next game where he was quickly demolished. If he was gonna play him in Winnipeg anyway, he should have put him in the blowout game before, just like he did tonight in this game.

And he probably should have played one of the games this past weekend, but that's easier for me to say because I've given up on the season. I haven't seen shit in these last 21 games to make me think this is not a lost season already. That this was not a lost season two weeks ago. This team has been a mess since the first Tampa game a month ago. Things have been looking bleak since then and definitely went off the rails after the 2-0 blown lead to Ottawa, which became a blowout loss. Hynes was still coaching this weekend like we had a chance at the playoffs, which I don't blame him.

As far as Cory goes, I don't think he's gonna look like 51 year old Cujo coming out of retirement for the rest of his career, like he has this year. He'll have some good games, a couple wins and even just some games where he doesn't get scored against on the first shot or even in the 1st period. But long term and not just cherrypicking split stats which you can do with anybody? He's pretty much 2014 Marty for me. I don't see a difference. Both looked shot on the eye test, both looked shot on paper. Doesn't mean every single game either played at those points were bad, although Cory has certainly looked bad for about 17 or 18 consecutive regular season games now. I'd like to know what the difference is between 2014 Marty and 2018 Cory? So many people here wanted Marty gone in 2014 and I was one of them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is getting into "Tough Building" and "Ya Know" territory. But that was already mentioned earlier in the GDT tonight. I forget who, but it was rightly placed and timed.

Yep you guys hit on something...Hynes' 'outworked' is becoming Pete's 'tough building/hot goalie' and MacLean's 'yaknow'. I mean coaches can't help but speak in cliches so eventually you notice these kind of things but it's still amusing in a sense.

Reactions: Oneiro

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
At least the titles of the post game threads have been spot on :laugh: much easier to watch games now when the season is flushed.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The thing is, they shouldn't need the f***ing coach to constantly get them motivated. Just last year these same players saw what working their asses off got them, which was back in the playoffs. It seems weird that they would abandon that 4 games into the season. This team showed resilience last year during that road trip that was supposed to end our season, yet fold like a cheap tent this year. I just don't get it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hynes excuse last game: They were rested & waiting for us, and we were back-to-back.

Hynes' excuse this game: They're a cap team with good players.

These are the comments of a loser. Just horrible sound.

It's also very un-Skeletor-like to be making pathetic excuses like this. Either he's about to have a nervous breakdown, or he thinks he's about to be fired.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the ''Ya Know'' and ''Tough Building'' for Hynes is ''Puck Management'' or ''50/50 battles''. He mentions those almost every post game. One other thing he used to love to say was ''We didn't give ourselves a chance to win. We didn't do the things necessary or collectively as a group to give ourselves a chance to win a hockey game''.

Reactions: liquid1988

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think the ''Ya Know'' and ''Tough Building'' for Hynes is ''Puck Management'' or ''50/50 battles''. He mentions those almost every post game. One other thing he used to love to say was ''We didn't give ourselves a chance to win. We didn't do the things necessary or collectively as a group to give ourselves a chance to win a hockey game''.

He also uses "compete level" IIRC
Well I'm going to the west coast to catch all 3 devils game, this is going to be a thriller

Fml

Prayers.... and most likely you won't get to see the other #17 for better or worse.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The "cap team" comment is a bit of a low moment for him.

Whether it's a slip of the subconscious or not, it's revealing in the wrong way.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The thing is, they shouldn't need the ****ing coach to constantly get them motivated. Just last year these same players saw what working their asses off got them, which was back in the playoffs. It seems weird that they would abandon that 4 games into the season. This team showed resilience last year during that road trip that was supposed to end our season, yet fold like a cheap tent this year. I just don't get it.

That first Tampa or Winnepeg game when the game fell from their jaws in the 3rd period, started the rest of the 3rd period fails that pretty much followed after. The team hasn't recovered except for like 1 game in between where they looked amazing again. That was 1 game in between like a shit sandwich of 7 of fails, in glorious fail possibility.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I've been of the opinion that no matter what happened last year with the playoffs, Cory's likely not returning to being good again. The best we can hope for is an average goalie and I think that's too much to ask for right now. Of all the once elite goalies that lost their game for multiple years, only Pekka Rinne has returned to form. I mean, even the guy across the river. Yeah, he wasn't that good the last couple seasons and he looked like he was definitely declining, even though he's been great this year and looks like the Lundqvist of old. But even he wasn't as bad as Cory's last two years in his last two years.

I have no problem with Hynes lack of usage with Cory. The only time I think he could have used Cory more was in that Toronto game where he left Keith in there all night, despite the fact that he allowed 5 in 2 periods. He could have given Cory a warmup for the rest of that game instead of throwing him in against Winnipeg the next game where he was quickly demolished. If he was gonna play him in Winnipeg anyway, he should have put him in the blowout game before, just like he did tonight in this game.

And he probably should have played one of the games this past weekend, but that's easier for me to say because I've given up on the season. I haven't seen **** in these last 21 games to make me think this is not a lost season already. That this was not a lost season two weeks ago. This team has been a mess since the first Tampa game a month ago. Things have been looking bleak since then and definitely went off the rails after the 2-0 blown lead to Ottawa, which became a blowout loss. Hynes was still coaching this weekend like we had a chance at the playoffs, which I don't blame him.

As far as Cory goes, I don't think he's gonna look like 51 year old Cujo coming out of retirement for the rest of his career, like he has this year. He'll have some good games, a couple wins and even just some games where he doesn't get scored against on the first shot or even in the 1st period. But long term and not just cherrypicking split stats which you can do with anybody? He's pretty much 2014 Marty for me. I don't see a difference. Both looked shot on the eye test, both looked shot on paper. Doesn't mean every single game either played at those points were bad, although Cory has certainly looked bad for about 17 or 18 consecutive regular season games now. I'd like to know what the difference is between 2014 Marty and 2018 Cory? So many people here wanted Marty gone in 2014 and I was one of them.

Thanks Bleed, fair opinion :)

Reactions: Bleedred

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
At some point they will right the ship and go on a win streak but hopefully it occurs soon enough to make the season relevant.

There's not a lot of time left to make this sesason relevant, that window is closing very quickly, even in a shitty division. A 7-10 game winstreak will change things, but that seems quite unlikely (cue Lemaire and 2010-11 crazy insane run).... unfortunately Lemaire only works for Lou, and frankly, even by Lemaire standards, he's probably getting old (for real this time).

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You know, people can say we're not at December of 2016 levels yet with this one, but I don't see how we're not.

We've played 26 games now? Correct? And we're 9-12-5? We have 23 points on the season.

26 games into 2016-2017, we were 12-8-6. We probably had a couple shootout/OT wins by then, I know we did, but we also had even more OT losses than we do now.

Game 26 of 16-17 was that 5-2 loss to Montreal on December 8th, where we were outshot like 49-20 or something and Price assaulted the f*** out of Palmieri. This game is what began a 7 game losing streak, 6 of those 7 were in regulation, including the first 5. That game followed a 2-0-1 stretch, but even with that we were already 3-4-3 in the 10 games prior to that game against Montreal. So the real streak started right around this time.

But we weren't even below NHL .500 until game 32 on December 20th of 2016 that year.

I reference that year because that's our worst year under Hynes and Shero and the first real ugly stretch for Hynes. And this year we may even finish worse than that team did. We're on pace for 73 points to that year's 70, but we were at NHL .500 (25-25-12) at game number 62 of that season, before losing 17 of our last 20 games. We were actually 25-23-10 as of game 58 of that year, before losing 21 of our last 24 games that year in either OT or regulation. 23-21-10 after 54 games that year, before losing 23 of our last 28 games in regulation or OT.

At this rate, I find it hard to see us at NHL .500 in February.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
The current incarnation of the NJD employ too much deadweight. I thought the Wood contract would be a steal but the only thing that’s a steal so far is what Wood is doing to Josh Harris to get that $. Time for PZ to score more than he has. Enough of the silver linings in that he’s “Playing well and doing good things”. And outside of TZ I would be happy if I never had to see another one of the current players on this team over the age of 30 at the conclusion of this blasted campaign. Boyle has been fine but it would also be a mistake to re-up with him beyond this year. Greene, Lovejoy, Stafford, Schneider, to the glue factory with all of them. It’s good to have vets but most of these vets are so long in the dentures.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Maybe even more of an owner jab than a GM jab, if you look at it.
Oh, for sure. I’m not of the opinion that the owners are against spending like some of our fellow forum creatures but it could be a dig at them too. Even if they’re alright with eventually spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad