Proposal: Cap Casualties & Dumps To/From other team(s).

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
IF and it a big if the king strike out on ufas could see him as a option

What would you offer for Puljujarvi ? Holland reportedly turned down a 2nd . He is asking for a 1st . I rather have an NHL ready 3C or a winger . Keep in mind Puljujarvi has said recently never say never about returning to the Oilers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nothing I am not a fan of his at all. I think your dreaming about getting a first. He does not have value imo after playing in a lesser league over the nhl

I don’t think we will get a first . I said it’s been reported that Holland is asking for a first . I still think there a player in Puljujarvi just not a high end pplayer like he was hyped up to be . Maybe a 20/20 guy . I also don’t want him back . Edmonton is weak on wing . If he can not make it in Edmonton he is making it . Also I don’t want to keep a guy what ran off crying . He may do it again

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hard to say what AZ would offer. Comes down to whether they can extend Hall. If they can't then they likely don't need to dump Hossa.

If I am AZ, I target Ottawa for the destination for Hossa if the Sens are watching their budget and wanting to just hit the cap floor, while paying the lowest amount of cash. Hossa will cost them $200K in cash to cover the non-insured portion of his contract. If there are limited fans for 20-21, then that's very possible that Ottawa seeks out these remaining back diving deals (like Zetterberg as well), to pay as little as possible, while just hitting the cap floor, similar to this season.

This is a fair point, i really hope ottawa is able to extract value out of any of these deals

That being said ottawa shouldnt struggle to hit the cap floor at least not as bad as it is made out to be. If we go with the guys that at minimum I expect ottawa to sign it is Connor Brown, Rudolf Balcers, Christain Jaros and Filip Chlapik. If we go 4.5 and 1.5 for the rest thats 9 million right there. That puts Ottawa at 50 million cap hit for next season while only being at 13 contracts. If we promote 10 rookies (ie going full melnyk) we hit the cap floor or at the very least get really close.

Thats not counting other RFA's Tierney, Duclair and Paul.

I do agree with you that the obvious destination is ottawa for Hossa. If ottawa can trade a useless contract (surprisingly we have very few) for the higher cap hit then it makes sense in melnyk land. I really hope from a gm view dorion still is able to extract a solid asset.

2022 first round pick arizona+hossa for reilly and any one of our middle of the pack 2nd round picks this year?

Ottawa might need to take on more cap, but I would love that 2022 first as a future lottery ticket. If Arizona shits the bed then that is very valuable, if not then ottawa got a middle of the pack first round pick. Either way its a win. 2022 is supposed to be a good draft year and Arizona doesnt have a first this year. Going based off the price toronto had to pay to get rid of Marleau and factoring in Melnyk.

Feel free to attack haha

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
the best i can see him fetching is a 3rd and a 5th conditional on him playing in the nhl and making 60 games and i pray its not with the kings. I don't want him give my prospect ideas
Yep & I hope it's not from the Wings, Islanders, Lightning, Kings, Rangers, nor Buf, Fla. I could see AZ or ANA taking a chance for some reason @ that price (or less), likely just a high 3rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Let's hear from fans of all other teams that need relief: TBL, NYR, NYI, etc.

Palat/Johnson/Gourde/Killorn

Georgiev? Trouba? Strome maybe?

Leddy?

I'm guesstimating ~18-20 teams will be trying to dump cap dumps and/or cap casuaties. I guesstimate ~10 teams with Cap Space, but some may have internal cap, so ~7 Cap Space teams as sellers.

Your thouhts?

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Former 5th overall pick, injury trifecta of knee hip and back in each of his last three seasons, still shows enough hints he's ready for an NHL shot, but he keeps getting buried. Probably not the top 4 anchor most fans are hoping he becomes, and definitely not the top pairing fixture management had hoped for, but as a second pairing rounded D man he is on track....barring another freak injury. He does everything reasonably well, but needs to work on his mobility following his last surgery, but the others didn't slow him down for long.

He’s hardly a sweetener in a L.E dump. Nucks would need to add a 1st round piCk +

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Let's hear from fans of all other teams that need relief: TBL, NYR, NYI, etc.

Palat/Johnson/Gourde/Killorn

Georgiev? Trouba? Strome maybe?

Leddy?

I'm guesstimating ~18-20 teams will be trying to dump cap dumps and/or cap casuaties. I guesstimate ~10 teams with Cap Space, but some may have internal cap, so ~7 Cap Space teams as sellers.

Your thouhts?

Killorn has a modified NTC so we will shop him to all the teams on his list for the best offer. The other three have NTC so if they are willing to waive they all could be available. The problem is that we don't consider any of them a cap dump so wouldn't be paying to move them. We know with the flat cap that we won't be getting good value but we will still be looking for the best offer even if it's a mid pick.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Killorn has a modified NTC so we will shop him to all the teams on his list for the best offer. The other three have NTC so if they are willing to waive they all could be available. The problem is that we don't consider any of them a cap dump so wouldn't be paying to move them. We know with the flat cap that we won't be getting good value but we will still be looking for the best offer even if it's a mid pick.
Yes, but Cap Casualty applies to at least 1 of them to sign Serg & Cirelli. I know they're actual decent to good players, not actual Cap Dumps.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, but Cap Casualty applies to at least 1 of them to sign Serg & Cirelli. I know they're actual decent to good players, not actual Cap Dumps.

I mentioned in the post if they're willing to waive we'd move them. So the casualty will be whichever decides to do that. It really doesn't matter if it's Gourde or Palat they aren't key pieces and could be replaced from within. Obviously Gourde has the longest contract so would probably be the one we prefer, then Johnson with Palat being the last.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I mentioned in the post if they're willing to waive we'd move them. So the casualty will be whichever decides to do that. It really doesn't matter if it's Gourde or Palat they aren't key pieces and could be replaced from within. Obviously Gourde has the longest contract so would probably be the one we prefer, then Johnson with Palat being the last.
I could see Yzerman & Breezy make a deal. If TJ was only 1-2yrs, we'd probably have slight interest assuming TBL included pick/prospect to dump a casualty. But 4yrs is too long, especially @$5M. Like the player though. Like Palat, but we're deep with wingers & more upcoming. Not a Gourde fan really, but he's buried as 3rd line depth, contract even longer then TJ.

So TBL will be paying a premium to some team for those 4yr casualties.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I could see Yzerman & Breezy make a deal. If TJ was only 1-2yrs, we'd probably have slight interest assuming TBL included pick/prospect to dump a casualty. But 4yrs is too long, especially @$5M. Like the player though. Like Palat, but we're deep with wingers & more upcoming. Not a Gourde fan really, but he's buried as 3rd line depth, contract even longer then TJ.

So TBL will be paying a premium to some team for those 4yr casualties.
Tampa won't be paying a premium to move any of those players. If we trade Killorn and Paquette this year and replace them with youngsters making 700-800k we should have roughly 7.6M to sign Cernak Cirelli and Sergachev. Might not seem like enough but with the flat cap these guys will be getting less than normal years. We can do 3M Sergachev 3M Cirelli and 1.6M Cernak for the year. Next off-season we have Johnson and Palat with modified NTC so we can move either of them then and the expansion draft we should work out a deal to get other money off the books. That should free up money we can then give to those 3 players again. We are in a cap crunch but it's not a dire one and should be just for this next season.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Tampa won't be paying a premium to move any of those players. If we trade Killorn and Paquette this year and replace them with youngsters making 700-800k we should have roughly 7.6M to sign Cernak Cirelli and Sergachev. Might not seem like enough but with the flat cap these guys will be getting less than normal years. We can do 3M Sergachev 3M Cirelli and 1.6M Cernak for the year. Next off-season we have Johnson and Palat with modified NTC so we can move either of them then and the expansion draft we should work out a deal to get other money off the books. That should free up money we can then give to those 3 players again. We are in a cap crunch but it's not a dire one and should be just for this next season.
7.6m is not enough. A second player has to go. 3m for serge is fantasy island.

I would be surprised if a team gives up an asset and pays full 5m cap for Johnson or Gourde. Palat yes i can see him. Whether that is TBL retaining cap or adding a 2 we shall see.

Somewhere there is a correct medium between TBL will get assets for Johnson and the league will collude and have to trade Serge or Cirelli.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
7.6m is not enough. A second player has to go. 3m for serge is fantasy island.

I would be surprised if a team gives up an asset and pays full 5m cap for Johnson or Gourde. Palat yes i can see him. Whether that is TBL retaining cap or adding a 2 we shall see.

Somewhere there is a correct medium between TBL will get assets for Johnson and the league will collude and have to trade Serge or Cirelli.

3M might be a bit low but I don't think it will be that low in the end. I can't see how he gets 4.5M or more like Werenski and McAvoy when they play a bigger role and were signed with an expected rising cap. Plus it's just for one year and then he'll be paid. He will get a decent raise going to 3M already and then can cash out, I'm not suggesting 3M for a few years. The same goes for Cirelli.

If it costs significant assets to move Gourde or Johnson we will just move someone else or find other ways to free up cap. We can take back some salary it just can't be too much. They are both good players so we aren't in a rush to move them even if it seems like we're desperate for cap space.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
3M might be a bit low but I don't think it will be that low in the end. I can't see how he gets 4.5M or more like Werenski and McAvoy when they play a bigger role and were signed with an expected rising cap. Plus it's just for one year and then he'll be paid. He will get a decent raise going to 3M already and then can cash out, I'm not suggesting 3M for a few years. The same goes for Cirelli.

If it costs significant assets to move Gourde or Johnson we will just move someone else or find other ways to free up cap. We can take back some salary it just can't be too much. They are both good players so we aren't in a rush to move them even if it seems like we're desperate for cap space.

Somebody other than Killorn and Paquette has to go. We can discuss who but someone else is toast. And if that means retain 750k a year on Johnson or Gourde then so be it. I'll buy Serge take a discount for 4m for one year but no way 3m.

It seems like you are desperate for cap space BECAUSE YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR CAP SPACE. It doesn't mean Serge or Cirelli will get traded. But one of Palat, Johnson, Ryan mc, Gourde has to go and that is the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad