Proposal: Cap Casualties & Dumps To/From other team(s).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With the upcoming Cap Squeeze set to start & the ensuing buy-low type opportunities we'll undoubtedly see some crazy deals.

1. What Cap Casualties & Dump(s) will your team offer/accept in a trade. (outline specific trade proposal if possible). (all teams)

2. Red Wings have $35,240,834 in Cap, not including LTIR in 20-21. Our immediate needs are 1LD/2LD or at least a Top4, 1A/B G, 2C (preferably RHS). C/D prospects & picks also welcome. What are you willing to trade us for Cap Relief?

More AHL/tweeners & NHL 3rd & 4th liner may go to KHL/Europe, as they begin to feel the trickle down effect on players, ie., some 2nd liners paid like 3rd liners etc.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not really a dump, as it's one bad contract for another, but I have to assume Montreal either buys Alzner out, or deals him for a similar contract.

Slight chance to deal him either in a big trade, or pay assets to dump him..

My reasoning for him being done is turning down a return to play for the habs and subsequently his number being given to Romanov.

Perhaps the habs get lucky and he retires, or holds out, but unlikely..

So, your cap dump for him ? If your player is slightly useful Alzner and a pick for yours?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not really a dump, as it's one bad contract for another, but I have to assume Montreal either buys Alzner out, or deals him for a similar contract.

Slight chance to deal him either in a big trade, or pay assets to dump him..

My reasoning for him being done is turning down a return to play for the habs and subsequently his number being given to Romanov.

Perhaps the habs get lucky and he retires, or holds out, but unlikely..

So, your cap dump for him ? If your player is slightly useful Alzner and a pick for yours?

MTL should just eat Alzner and take on another cap dump for assets tbh. They should have the room barring a big signing and they def have the financials to do it. I think they really only have Domi to re-sign right?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
MTL should just eat Alzner and take on another cap dump for assets tbh. They should have the room barring a big signing and they def have the financials to do it. I think they really only have Domi to re-sign right?

Yup.

I think thet should, too, but they might look to offload him and have a go with another player vastly underperforming relative to their contract and be "competitive"

Just as an example, a guy like Loui Eriksson.

Eriksson is better than Alzner, but it saves the canucks 1.4 and they might not have to ship off a 1st, a promising prospect, or both to get rid of Eriksson. Might only cost a 2nd, or 3rd in 2022.

Erickson's last good season was with Boston under Julien I believe.

Habs fans seem to think because we have a lot of ufas after next season we don't want cap problems, but most of them aren't young players. They're players we already have and this team still sucks.

Maybe Eriksson reaches 20/20 with Montreal. They trade him at 50, or a little less at 40% retained and Montreal is now saving on the cap because at 50, he's only 3 mill hit where Alzner even in the minors would be around 3.6

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If I were a team with cap I would be looking to get some picks with dumps rather than getting some skill as the dump.

Not sure if the OP intended the later when referring to wanting a top pairD, 2C and starting goalies. If you’re lucky enough to be a in a good spot like the avs you can take on that last piece. Otherwise, I don’t think a team like the red wings should take an aging high cap hit ok top pair guy if that even exists as a cap dump.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Brendan Smith now costs a bunch less in real $$ than Cap Hit, and rebuilt his rep last year, he could be of value to rebuilding and/or Cap Floor team (hello Sens?)
but if during summer play he continues to be great partner for Trouba,
maybe NYR keep him, but the flat Cap makes it tough

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What would the Wings be willing to pay for Ryan Murray? He's not really a cap dump per se; it's just that the injury problems means that it's difficult to get value for him that reflects his on-ice ability while acknowledging his unfortunate frequent unavailability. But when he is on the ice, he covers that #1/2LD spot just fine.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Brendan Smith now costs a bunch less in real $$ than Cap Hit, and rebuilt his rep last year, he could be of value to rebuilding and/or Cap Floor team (hello Sens?)
but if during summer play he continues to be great partner for Trouba,
maybe NYR keep him, but the flat Cap makes it tough

There is no such thing as a cap floor team. No team is struggle to meet the cap floor.

Unless Smith is accompanied by a 2nd round pick or equivalent prosp, no team would have interest.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What would the Wings be willing to pay for Ryan Murray? He's not really a cap dump per se; it's just that the injury problems means that it's difficult to get value for him that reflects his on-ice ability while acknowledging his unfortunate frequent unavailability. But when he is on the ice, he covers that #1/2LD spot just fine.

Contract term, injury history and cost to acquire probably means Detroit wouldn't be interested.

Besides Detroit doesn't have anything to offer that would be valuable enough/realistically available.

Reactions: Oddbob

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yup.

I think thet should, too, but they might look to offload him and have a go with another player vastly underperforming relative to their contract and be "competitive"

Just as an example, a guy like Loui Eriksson.

Eriksson is better than Alzner, but it saves the canucks 1.4 and they might not have to ship off a 1st, a promising prospect, or both to get rid of Eriksson. Might only cost a 2nd, or 3rd in 2022.

Erickson's last good season was with Boston under Julien I believe.

Habs fans seem to think because we have a lot of ufas after next season we don't want cap problems, but most of them aren't young players. They're players we already have and this team still sucks.

Maybe Eriksson reaches 20/20 with Montreal. They trade him at 50, or a little less at 40% retained and Montreal is now saving on the cap because at 50, he's only 3 mill hit where Alzner even in the minors would be around 3.6

We're not retaining half of Eriksson's contract and taking Alzner back. That's just asinine to even discuss, even as an example.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There is no such thing as a cap floor team. No team is struggle to meet the cap floor.

Unless Smith is accompanied by a 2nd round pick or equivalent prosp, no team would have interest.
Prob not gonna bribe any team, just ride out the season, and its 4 expiring Cap Hits, as had been anticipated all along

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
We're not retaining half of Eriksson's contract and taking Alzner back. That's just asinine to even discuss, even as an example.

You misread it.

Montreal, after a year and presumably Eriksson does alright with a season around 20g 20a, Montreal retains half to deal him

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You misread it.

Montreal, after a year and presumably Eriksson does alright with a season around 20g 20a, Montreal retains half to deal him

Well, that's better then my misread. But 1.4 million isn't enough of an incentive to do anything like this, when we could retain half and save 3 million, if a team was willing to take him on.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With the upcoming Cap Squeeze set to start & the ensuing buy-low type opportunities we'll undoubtedly see some crazy deals.

1. What Cap Casualties & Dump(s) will your team offer/accept in a trade. (outline specific trade proposal if possible). (all teams)

2. Red Wings have $35,240,834 in Cap, not including LTIR in 20-21. Our immediate needs are 1LD/2LD, 1A/B G, 2C (preferably RHS). What are you willing to trade us for Cap Relief?

More AHL/tweeners & NHL 3rd & 4th liner may go to KHL/Europe, as they begin to feel the trickle down effect on players, ie., some 2nd liners paid like 3rd liners etc.
If I were a team with cap I would be looking to get some picks with dumps rather than getting some skill as the dump.

Not sure if the OP intended the later when referring to wanting a top pairD, 2C and starting goalies. If you’re lucky enough to be a in a good spot like the avs you can take on that last piece. Otherwise, I don’t think a team like the red wings should take an aging high cap hit ok top pair guy if that even exists as a cap dump.
Edited my OP to include picks(but I thought that'd be a given initially).

We just need to be able to ice a roster that's not historically bad while having the (core) largest portion of the the team be young/youngish. So a 1-2yr. LD Top2/3 Dman that is expiring just keeps us in "competitive", keeps us from losing 75%+, shields the kids a bit til Seider & Co. take over. Losing a lot is bad for the kids & organization. We can lose but still not be blown out by 2-5G too often.

Reactions: Fenris

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Derek Stepan for Artem Anisimov

Doesnt free up as much space as Arizona would like but still frees up 1.95 million in cap space. Arizona gets similar production out of Anisimov as they have gotten out of Stepan over the last 2 seasons. If letters are to indicate anything then Stepan being an assistant captain would mean he is a good player to have around a young team in the locker room. Plus Stepan being younger is the better bounce back option of the two so there is a chance that he can be flipped for more value at the trade deadline

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think what we are going to end up seeing, is that there will be less negative value cap dumps moved. There won't be enough teams with cap space to to make a lot of those deals. The cost will be too high. It won't be efficient.

Instead, teams will have to resort to moving good (probably young) players for a soft return of non-cap assets.

Most of the negative value contracts moved will be situations where they have a low base salary. Derek Stepan on Arizona might be an example. I could see a team like Ottawa giving up an asset like a mid round pick or a B prospect to get him at 1M per even if it goes against conventions that they should get an asset for taking on that contract. I don't think we'll see many Marleau to CAR type transactions unless a team pays through the nose.

Reactions: Fenris and rt

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Johnsson+Dermott+Kerfoot
none are dumps but all can be had in 1 pkg

Now isn’t the right time to sell Dermott. He’s a guy who’s shown flashes of top 4 potential but will come cheap on an extension because he hasn’t had the consistency to stick (and for the same reason probably wouldn’t have a tremendous trade return). Exactly who we need to hang onto in a flat cap world.

Johnsson is probably gone this fall with how much the team is raving about Mikheyev and the emergence of Robertson as a top LW prospect. Kerfoot is a good fit at 3C but that will depend entirely on whether they want to go after anyone in free agency. I would feel better about running a bare bones bottom six if we picked up a good defenseman.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs could offer a 7th round pick to Toronto for Johnsson just so TML can get that contract off their books and taking nothing back on the cap. I’d offer the same deal to Chicago for Saad. Could make that offer to many teams this offseason. Find a winger and offer nothing but a late pick for them to free up cap space.

selling cap space alone for a middle six forward. It’s an alternative to using UFA for teams with cap space.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

2. Red Wings have $35,240,834 in Cap, not including LTIR in 20-21. Our immediate needs are 1LD/2LD or at least a Top4, 1A/B G, 2C (preferably RHS). C/D prospects & picks also welcome. What are you willing to trade us for Cap Relief?

Detroit, IMO would need to begin turning things around before the likes of Larkin, Mantha, etc. get too accustomed to losing, and losing badly. Be very strategic about picking up assets. Think they would be wise to acquire a JT Miller type of cap crunch player for 2nd round picks with the tighter cap squeeze for example. Rather than simple take on less productive $5 million cap hits for 2nd round picks and the like.

And they should target needs in free agency. Detroit last made the playoffs in 2016. So, this is already year 4 out of them, and the one they performed the worst in.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Detroit, IMO would need to begin turning things around before the likes of Larkin, Mantha, etc. get too accustomed to losing, and losing badly. Be very strategic about picking up assets. Think they would be wise to acquire a JT Miller type of cap crunch player for 2nd round picks with the tighter cap squeeze for example. Rather than simple take on less productive $5 million cap hits for 2nd round picks and the like.

And they should target needs in free agency. Detroit last made the playoffs in 2016. So, this is already year 4 out of them, and the one they performed the worst in.
Re: JT Miller, yes agreed, however those better players also make our immediate standings better, potentially not finishing bottom 5 if all goes right/healthy etc. Otherwise, yes we'll take 27 yr. old JT Miller & current contract "casualty", if they wanna keep Brock Boeser & the gang... JT's age doesn't fit our Core, but can be the liasion til Veleno is ready to be 2C, which is probably 2+ yrs.

Re: trades....Except we wanna add to our pool of picks, not deplete. We have Cap to sell, great problem to have for the next 3 yrs & beyond. So Yzerman'll weaponize his Cap to benefit/stabilize the on-ice product, whether short/med/long term, still generating revenue etc., & not deplete from the template. In 2-3 yrs, we could look much different or similar, but either way should be Much Better. We'll need to unearth some Gems via drafts.

Last edited:

StonebeatsMcdavid

Jul 3, 2020

Why would Vancouver trade a player who scored a little over a point per game over a 70 game sample size for 2nd round picks? People are really panicking over this flat cap thing. I'm not even a Vancouver fan but that's awful.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Why would Vancouver trade a player who scored a little over a point per game over a 70 game sample size for 2nd round picks? People are really panicking over this flat cap thing. I'm not even a Vancouver fan but that's awful.

He said a Miller type of cap crunch player. Pretty sure he was referencing Miller's trade last year as an example.

Reactions: StonebeatsMcdavid

StonebeatsMcdavid

Jul 3, 2020
Re: JT Miller, yes agreed, however those better players also make our immediate standings better, potentially not finishing bottom 5 if all goes right/healthy etc. Otherwise, yes we'll take Boeser.

Re: trades....Except we wanna add to our pool of picks, not deplete. We have Cap to sell, great problem to have for the next 3 yrs & beyond. So Yzerman'll weaponize his Cap to benefit/stabilize the on-ice product, whether short/med/long term, still generating revenue etc., & not deplete from the template. In 2-3 yrs, we could look much different or similar, but either way should be Much Better. We'll need to unearth some Gems via drafts.

He said a Miller type of cap crunch player. Pretty sure he was referencing Miller's trade last year as an example.

Ok, I misunderstood, my bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad