Proposal: Cap Casualties & Dumps To/From other team(s).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My understanding is a lot more than the 3.6. Arizona will have 9 forwards and 6 dmen signed for next year, meaning they will most likely need 4 forwards and 1 dman at least. If we assume that Hall gets at least 8 million a year and the rest of the players get around the minimum (900k), it would mean they need 11.6 million in cap space and are only projected to have 1.5 million.

Dumping Hossa makes a lot of sense but if they arent taking cap back in the deal the other team would need to be compensated. Maybe ottawa needs to be compensated less since melnyk but would still need to be compensated imo

I think there will be a lot of trades made on draft day... Teams are going to want to clear that space before free agency. Should be interesting to see how aggressive some GM's get

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My understanding is a lot more than the 3.6. Arizona will have 9 forwards and 6 dmen signed for next year, meaning they will most likely need 4 forwards and 1 dman at least. If we assume that Hall gets at least 8 million a year and the rest of the players get around the minimum (900k), it would mean they need 11.6 million in cap space and are only projected to have 1.5 million.

Dumping Hossa makes a lot of sense but if they arent taking cap back in the deal the other team would need to be compensated. Maybe ottawa needs to be compensated less since melnyk but would still need to be compensated imo
You have to factor Hossa into the equation first, since he will be on LTIR. If the Coyotes are say at $65 mill committed for next season, that would include Hossa at $5 mill. So, they actually are at $60 mill, assuming they spend to the cap ceiling. But, it does make things easier for them if they move him.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
You have to factor Hossa into the equation first, since he will be on LTIR. If the Coyotes are say at $65 mill committed for next season, that would include Hossa at $5 mill. So, they actually are at $60 mill, assuming they spend to the cap ceiling. But, it does make things easier for them if they move him.

With hossa out of the cap equation it brings them to 74 million. Also doesnt the LTIR cap count for the offseason where the team can only go a certain amount over? Genuinely asking

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With hossa out of the cap equation it brings them to 74 million. Also doesnt the LTIR cap count for the offseason where the team can only go a certain amount over? Genuinely asking
Cap remains at 81.5. So they can be at almost $90 mill (10% over) in the off season. But I doubt they get to that amount since how would they clear an extra 3.7 mill in cap room once the season begins? Can only save $1 mill by burying a one way contract in the A.

Reactions: TheNewEra

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
What would the Wings be willing to pay for Ryan Murray? He's not really a cap dump per se; it's just that the injury problems means that it's difficult to get value for him that reflects his on-ice ability while acknowledging his unfortunate frequent unavailability. But when he is on the ice, he covers that #1/2LD spot just fine.

What would you be looking for because I think LA could be interested?

Kris Russell and a 3rd, and 5th for a conditional 7th

What would the cost be for LA for Russell + Puljujarvi?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

What would the cost be for LA for Russell + Puljujarvi?

I might be in the minority, but I think Puljujarvi will still turn into a player. I am not willing to move that potential out to clear a one year cap hit of a player that can still fill a role for us albeit at to much money.

If you want Puljujarvi I would include Neal with 1 million retained.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I might be in the minority, but I think Puljujarvi will still turn into a player. I am not willing to move that potential out to clear a one year cap hit of a player that can still fill a role for us albeit at to much money.

If you want Puljujarvi I would include Neal with 1 million retained.

Neal's contract is horrible! 4 more years; no thanks! Puljujarvi is not proven enough to be the main + for Neal. To move Neal it starts with Bouchard/Broberg++

Neal, Bouchard, Puljujarvi + 2020 1st for Amadio + Villalta.

But I think a deal with Russell + Puljujarvi could work for both teams. Edmonton sheds Russell's last year and get out of the headache of Puljujarvi. We just need to find something Edmonton needs for LA. Id probably give up the Vegas pick straight up for Puljujarvi but add in Russell and that goes down. So depending on what Edmonton needs I think a 3rd + prospect/roster player could work

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Neal's contract is horrible! 4 more years; no thanks! Puljujarvi is not proven enough to be the main + for Neal. To move Neal it starts with Bouchard/Broberg++

Neal, Bouchard, Puljujarvi + 2020 1st for Amadio + Villalta.

But I think a deal with Russell + Puljujarvi could work for both teams. Edmonton sheds Russell's last year and get out of the headache of Puljujarvi. We just need to find something Edmonton needs for LA. Id probably give up the Vegas pick straight up for Puljujarvi but add in Russell and that goes down. So depending on what Edmonton needs I think a 3rd + prospect/roster player could work
If you are being accurate Neal has 3 more years and somehow you think us trading him away is worth what it would take to get a serious player of value. Please feel free to move on to your next target team for weaponizing your cap space because your offer is a headshot to the oilers future.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Would Sharks trade Erik K. for Alzner?

Is this a real question?

Were you actually drunk while posting Drunk? Sharks are not looking to trade Karlsson at all.

Alzner with a decent/large plus for Vlasic could work. That's about it.

Strange to point a ridiculous idea and then follow it up with a ridiculous idea.

Montreal probably doesn't do Alzner for Vlasic if they were getting the decent/large plus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The guy's top-pairing when he's healthy, but he's rarely healthy. So we'd be looking at picks that start out at about what he might be worth as is - like, maybe a 2nd and another late pick - with conditions that they move up depending on how many games he plays.

As for non-pick assets... well, the Jackets' big roster need is a #2C, but that's probably not going to happen with a Murray trade. Beyond that... there kind of aren't any. While having the most man-games lost to injury this season was frustrating, it did adequately demonstrate that our depth really is as good as we thought it was, so...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Alzner for Beagle and Roussel.

Beagle and Roussel still contribute. Alzner can't cut it in the NHL anymore. Even assuming he's buried, we lose roster contribution and only make 2.3 ish in cap space. This is utterly not worth it for the Canucks.

Alternatively, I offer Eriksson for Alzner.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
What would the Wings be willing to pay for Ryan Murray? He's not really a cap dump per se; it's just that the injury problems means that it's difficult to get value for him that reflects his on-ice ability while acknowledging his unfortunate frequent unavailability. But when he is on the ice, he covers that #1/2LD spot just fine.

Avs would also be interested

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Beagle and Roussel still contribute. Alzner can't cut it in the NHL anymore. Even assuming he's buried, we lose roster contribution and only make 2.3 ish in cap space. This is utterly not worth it for the Canucks.

Beagle is terrible and should be buried like Alzner so the only good piece is Roussel. 2.3M isn't much but it'll help you sign Guadette and Virtanen who are better than both.

I don't see the incentive for Montreal to take Eriksson. Cap wise Beagle and Roussel is the same as Eriksson but it will be easier to move one or both of them down the line than Eriksson if they wanted.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Beagle is terrible and should be buried like Alzner so the only good piece is Roussel. 2.3M isn't much but it'll help you sign Guadette and Virtanen who are better than both.

I don't see the incentive for Montreal to take Eriksson. Cap wise Beagle and Roussel is the same as Eriksson but it will be easier to move one or both of them down the line than Eriksson if they wanted.

So Beagle for Alzner (retained, or with Baertschi, or something) then, if you view no benefit to Beagle.

Including Roussel in the deal without getting some manor of benefit is just hurting the on ice product at this stage then.

Bringing Gaudette and Virtanen back with the saved cap hit is fine, but then we have 2 more roster spots to fill, and even at league minimum, we'd be looking closer to 1.3 in cap space as a difference, while losing Roussel's on ice production (how ever limited one wishes to see it).

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Alzner for Beagle and Roussel.

Can't see the Habs accepting that. They need the roster spots for Kotkniemi/Poehling/Evans/etc. Alzner sucks and is overpaid, but he's worked for LD depth.

Lol to the bolded.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lol to the bolded.

1.3 million dollars difference for a 4th line (some still somehow argue 3rd line) forward that scores 20ish points isn't outlandish.

Let's not overlook the fact we have depth LD in Vancouver coming out the wazoo, so Alzner has 0 value to us as a roster asset. So taking Alzner does nothing for us, save the slight cap savings.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
1.3 million dollars difference for a 4th line (some still somehow argue 3rd line) forward that scores 20ish points isn't outlandish.

Let's not overlook the fact we have depth LD in Vancouver coming out the wazoo, so Alzner has 0 value to us as a roster asset. So taking Alzner does nothing for us, save the slight cap savings.

Montreal has forward depth as well. THis season they've had 15 forwards that have been on their roster this year that have paced at least 20 points. So Eriksson has 0 value to them as well. So taking on Eriksson does nothing for them except adding more cap liability.

Hence the lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad