Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I like the idea that we should go after bad contracts in exchange for draft picks and quality prospects.

Other than that, I hope to god we don't go and get a big name guy. Unless it's an Erik Karlsson.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."
Not tampering because they simply stated they are targeting a UFA, without saying a specific name. Every of the 31 teams in the league will be targeting specific UFA’s. I bet nearly every team in the league will shoot JT, Carlson, Karlsson, etc. etc. an offer. It’s news that is no news.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
If they don't get Dahlin I could see the Canucks taking on an overpaid D-man because that Defence needs help. If there was a sweetener like a 1st and 2nd for a player like Seabrook or Weber , that would help that young core. I know both of those players like BC, so the NMC would not be a problem.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If they don't get Dahlin I could see the Canucks taking on an overpaid D-man because that Defence needs help. If there was a sweetener like a 1st and 2nd for a player like Seabrook or Weber , that would help that young core. I know both of those players like BC, so the NMC would not be a problem.

Seabrook may make sense; getting Weber would be quite dangerous.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Brent Seabrook/Shea Weber's contract is too long for the Canucks to take on.
I would rather see them offer John Carlson something ridiculous like 13m/season for 3 years, (or even overpay Mike Green for a year or two), than be stuck w/ Seabrook/Weber's contract until 2024. The Canucks have a lot of young players, blue chip prospects, and a high 2018 pick that will command big raises once they enter their prime; even Bo Horvat's contract expires before Seabrook/Weber's does.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Brent Seabrook/Shea Weber's contract is too long for the Canucks to take on.
I would rather see them offer John Carlson something ridiculous like 13m/season for 3 years, (or even overpay Mike Green for a year or two), than be stuck w/ Seabrook/Weber's contract until 2024. The Canucks have a lot of young players, blue chip prospects, and a high 2018 pick that will command big raises once they enter their prime; even Bo Horvat's contract expires before Seabrook/Weber's does.

Also, Canucks might take a toll on recapture penalty, if Weber decides to retire a few years later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also, Canucks might take a toll on recapture penalty, if Weber decides to retire a few years later.

So wrong....

Only Nashville is going to be hit hard by a Weber retirement.

Weber is due $6 million in salary in each of the next 4 seasons. Then it drops to $3 million, then 3 years at $1 million each. So, if Weber became a Canuck, the Canucks take $7.85 million cap hit per year while paying $6 million. They gain zero benefit between cash and cap hit.

So, if Weber retires with 4 years left on his deal, Canucks take $0 in recapture.

Montreal, for the 2 years of Weber would have paid him $24 million and taken a cap charge of just under $16 million, meaning that they would have $8 million of recapture to apply over 4 years, so $2 million per season.

Nashville has to allocate $24 million over 4 years because his deal was so front loaded.

Same situation as Luongo. Canucks have $8.8 million on the books for him between Cash to Cap charge. But, Lu has spent a lot of time on IR the past 2 seasons due to LBI. In the 14-15 and 15-16 seasons, Lu started 61 and 62 games. Last year he started like 40 and this year he'd likely only hit 35 starts. He is likely to end up on LTIR with some type of groin or LBI problem.

Reactions: vanarchy

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
So wrong....

Weber is due $6 million in salary in each of the next 4 seasons. Then it drops to $3 million, then 3 years at $1 million each. So, if Weber became a Canuck, the Canucks take $7.85 million cap hit per year while paying $6 million. They gain zero benefit between cash and cap hit.

So, if Weber retires with 4 years left on his deal, Canucks take $0 in recapture.

Montreal, for the 2 years of Weber would have paid him $24 million and taken a cap charge of just under $16 million, meaning that they would have $8 million of recapture to apply over 4 years, so $2 million per season.

Nashville has to allocate $24 million over 4 years.

Yeah, it's good that I'm wrong, because with recapture penalty on Weber and Luongo, the organization cannot survive.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
How the hell would we be charged with tampering based on what some reporter is saying? Do they have screenshots between Elliote and Jimbo or Jimbo and Carlson?

This website is hilarious sometimes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So wrong....

Nashville has to allocate $24 million over 4 years.

Yeah Nashville along with Vancouver is now in line for this screw job, so hopefully that encourages the league to close the loophole on this Brian Burke screwjob: at retirement the net cap gain/loss of the contract isn't combined if the player was moved to a new team.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yeah Nashville along with Vancouver is now in line for this screw job, so hopefully that encourages the league to close the loophole on this Brian Burke screwjob: at retirement the net cap gain/loss of the contract isn't combined if the player was moved to a new team.

Better hope Luongo retires before the age of 43. :D

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How the hell would we be charged with tampering based on what some reporter is saying? Do they have screenshots between Elliote and Jimbo or Jimbo and Carlson?

This website is hilarious sometimes.

I don't think this will do it but it's really pushing the boundaries, and from a management group that's been fined before for 'tampering'. The problem is while media can speculate endless on who their local team may go after in free agency unless Friedman is being misrepresented here this is an oddly specific thing to leak.

The problem here is while some groups may strategically 'leak' information the current Canuck management team probably projects what they're planning more than any other team, plus Benning tends to be very candid with the media. It's what got him fined before, wasn't anything malicious rather a reporter appeared in front of him and he started talking about how he tried to trade for Suban.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Better hope Luongo retires before the age of 43. :D

LTIR. He's been on IR the past 2 seasons with LBI. He was up to 2 seasons ago, a 60 game starter. 40 last year and about 35 this year. And his salary next season will drop below his cap charge. He made $6.7 million the past 7 seasons. Dropping to $3.4 million next season, then $1.6 million and 2 years at $1 million. Likely end up on LTIR like Lupul/Robidas with what has been ailing him the past 2 seasons.

Parise, with his contract and back issues, all signs point to him ending up on LTIR. These guys won't "retire" until their contract runs out. Probably, originally, he would have retired, but now, if he can't really play and it's not financially beneficial to play, he can still get paid, yet not play.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why would Carlson wanna play for a lottery team and give up his prime years?

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Using Dustin Byfuglien & Brent Burns as a recent comparable, Byfuglien was 31 years old when his 5-year 38million dollar deal started, and Burns was 32 years old when his 8-year 64million dollar deal began. John Carlson wouldn't exactly be crazy to accept a 3-year deal if the money was huge; at 31yo, he'd still probably be offered a long-term deal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He should do the right thing and sign a hometown discount with North America’s team, yeah?

Do the right thing, John.

100+pt cup contender, or 70pt lotto team. tough call

pretty sure he stays in washington, or goes to a good team (ie not the nucks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad