Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Makes sense in theory but why on earth would Carlson do it

- risk of an injury, what if he suffers something serious in like year 2 and is never able to play at the level he’s now, should’ve taken that long-term deal

- Canucks have shown nothing to get excited about, i get that they have some nice young players but we haven’t really seen them all together yet.. Pettersson and Dahlin playing on the same team would be exciting but at this moment it’s not concrete

- Wsh is his home, he’s playing for a good team and they are willing to pay him. Would he really want to go through the hassle of saying goodbyes to everyone, moving, etc just for a quick buck ? He’s already made like 20M in actual cash in his career. I doubt he has financial issues..

I mean Canucks can try all their want but i doubt they’ll attract any big names yet. Maybe in a couple years.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

- risk of an injury, what if he suffers something serious in like year 2 and is never able to play at the level he’s now, should’ve taken that long-term deal.

Agreed... but this could work if the Canucks offer the same total amount of money for less years.

Example: Some team offers 5 years, 25M. The Canucks 3 years, 24M.

They’d be paying way above market value though.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, I don't really see why the FA in question would do this. It's nice to make a lot in less time, but with guaranteed contracts I think they'd want to get the largest total payout, which will likely be the deal with the most term.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Like many have said, would be ridiculous risk to leave 30 mills on the table. Reward vs risk is just not worthy.

Most happy about these kind of ”leaks” is player agencies. Every agent in the game now has that ”mystery guy” who Canucks is offering short term millions, if you ask them.

Jan 21, 2018
Lucic + 2nd for a 7th.

Get a Vancouver guy (who could turn it around IMO - worst case LTIR in a few years) + a high 2nd.

LOL you think a 2nd round pick is all it takes to dump Lucic's contract?

The sad part is you feel Vancouver should be adding a 7th too. Thanks for pointing out it will be a high 2nd though, that made your offer 10x less terrible.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

- risk of an injury, what if he suffers something serious in like year 2 and is never able to play at the level he’s now, should’ve taken that long-term deal

- Canucks have shown nothing to get excited about, i get that they have some nice young players but we haven’t really seen them all together yet.. Pettersson and Dahlin playing on the same team would be exciting but at this moment it’s not concrete

- Wsh is his home, he’s playing for a good team and they are willing to pay him. Would he really want to go through the hassle of saying goodbyes to everyone, moving, etc just for a quick buck ? He’s already made like 20M in actual cash in his career. I doubt he has financial issues..

I mean Canucks can try all their want but i doubt they’ll attract any big names yet. Maybe in a couple years.

I agree. Doesn't make much sense. Canucks in 2021 maybe.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think it would be a smart move for both if it were a 2 year deal for more $. Realistically he’d only be there for 1.5 years before being moved at the TDL (assuming a trade with cap retained). His cap hit will be way more, and he’d have a opportunity to re-enter free agency while in his prime age, seems like a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad