Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I’m all aboard for the overpay / shorter term strategy, but I don’t think I’d be on board with the strategy of obtaining bad contracts in exchange for picks........although it depends on what the bad contracts are.

Over the past few days, I’ve flirted with the idea of the Canucks taking on the likes of Lucic/Seabrook, etc with the expectation that we would get their 1st, but the long term cap ramifications would be too risky.....especially in light of the Roberto Luongo situation if Luongo chose to retire before his contract expired.

If Benning wants 1st round picks with the expectation that he’d take on “high ticket” guys that are signed long term and are under delivering (I.e. Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Seabrook, etc.), then I think it’s a bad idea. You’re looking at a very messy cap situation once guys like Boeser, Pettersson, etc., need to be reupped.

However, if Benning is looking at taking on some shorter term contracts while accepting 2nd or 3rd rounders, then I’m all aboard (Troy Brouwer + 2nd to Vancouver in exchange for a late round pick).

Hindustan Smyl’s conclusion:

1) Offer John Carlson or John Tavares the shorter term huge cap hit offer.
2) accept 2nd and 3rd round picks for decent plugs that are signed for 2 years (Brouwer).
3) Do NOT accept guys like Lucic, Seabrook, Okposo, etc. for a 1st round pick as this would leave the Canucks with a very messy future cap structure. IF you go this route, then trade Louie Eriksson + 2019 1st to another team to counter the incoming salary.

I 100% agree taking Lucic, Seabrook, Okposo(guys with 5+ years) would be foolish, but you can still put yourself in a position to take 3-4 year long contracts if you don't dive head first into Free Agency like this management has done a couple times already. Becoming the 3rd party in a Karlsson trade involving Bobby Ryan( 4 years left) wouldn't be horrible for example. Leave room for the Boeser extension, Pettersson and whomever we draft these next few drafts would be needing new deals around that time, so we'd be fine if Benning shows restraint.

To the idea of trading the 2019 first I say that would be very foolish. We're not going to be a playoff team next year, if anything I think we'll be worse. The draft will be in Vancouver next year and we should under no circumstances trade it before we see where we land at the end of next season.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Canucks need and want somebody with name recognition as well as a good player. They desparately need to put bums in the seats next year and beyond.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."

Oh you know its just hearsay that they may or may not want to offer a UFA a shit load of money if he were to you know possibly hear that rumor and explore other options than signing with the team he's been with his entire career.

nothing to see here :rolleyes:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks need and want somebody with name recognition as well as a good player. They desparately need to put bums in the seats next year and beyond.
We shall see if the ownership stands by their rebuild or will they allow business to override the hockey decision.

No one with name recognition is going to sign in Vancouver. Those guys are in their late 20’s and want to win, they will get paid regardless.

What is left is the mid tiered guys like the eriksson, ladd, backes of a couple years ago that looking for one final payday. Those you want to avoid.

But would not surprise me if the Canucks went out and handed hat money out. Par for the course with this owner. Too short sighted.

To help this young group, they really need a guy like malhottra was back in 2010. That’s the type of player that is needed for this group. You’re not going to get a scorer here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
- Possibility of an injury (injuries)
- Playing with inferior players on a inferior team = stats will drop = less money for the next contract
His stats would have to tank pretty hard to not get a meaningful contract at age 31. Not that I expect him to actually sign with Vancouver, but let's not pretend that a 3 year deal is going to be his last one.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."
Are they? How do you know this has any merit to it at all? It's only tampering if you can prove that the team leaked it specifically to deter the player from re-signing.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Offer Carlson 9 per 7 and we have our number 1 locked up. Trade Stecher and Hutton call up Juolevi keep Biega and Pouliot as 7/8 depth players.

Edler Carlson
Juolevi Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Pouliot Biega

That's an average defense but most definitely has potential to be better. Carlson improves PP and lets Tanev step back to 2nd unit and mentor Juolevi. It allows Edler to be more of a defensive player and hopefully he bounces back with less pressure not having to be the offensive guy. 9 per sounds like a lot but with cap going up a #1 D will be getting that more often then not and probably more within 2-3 years. Carlson is 28 and in his prime he could anchor the defense for years to come while the kids upfront come into their own. Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser is a solid base upfront possibly but how often does a true #1 come available? We have the cap space and the need I say do it.

Reactions: gianni

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The Carlson idea, while interesting, likely has very little chance of being effective. Top tier free agents will always get money and term and it's highly unlikely any high profile player is going to ditch long term security.

I wonder if Mike Green would be a more likely target? Offer him a one year deal with a high enough AAV($8M?) that he'd forgo a NTC and try and flip him with 50% retention at the deadline? Probably more realistic than signing Carlson.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The Carlson idea, while interesting, likely has very little chance of being effective. Top tier free agents will always get money and term and it's highly unlikely any high profile player is going to ditch long term security.

I wonder if Mike Green would be a more likely target? Offer him a one year deal with a high enough AAV($8M?) that he'd forgo a NTC and try and flip him with 50% retention at the deadline? Probably more realistic than signing Carlson.
If your gonna offer Green 8 why not make it 9 and get Carlson for the next 7 years and have our #1?? Heck I'd even go 9.5 to get it done.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I 100% agree taking Lucic, Seabrook, Okposo(guys with 5+ years) would be foolish, but you can still put yourself in a position to take 3-4 year long contracts if you don't dive head first into Free Agency like this management has done a couple times already. Becoming the 3rd party in a Karlsson trade involving Bobby Ryan( 4 years left) wouldn't be horrible for example. Leave room for the Boeser extension, Pettersson and whomever we draft these next few drafts would be needing new deals around that time, so we'd be fine if Benning shows restraint.

To the idea of trading the 2019 first I say that would be very foolish. We're not going to be a playoff team next year, if anything I think we'll be worse. The draft will be in Vancouver next year and we should under no circumstances trade it before we see where we land at the end of next season.

I forgot about the draft being in Vancouver next year, lol. In any case, I would hold onto the 2019 1st, but would only explore moving it (along with Eriksson) IF Benning decides to take on (HighTicketSignedLongTerm + 1st).

I didn’t realize Bobby Ryan “only” had 4 years left. That option might be worth exploring, but I haven’t done the math in terms of long term ramifications.

As far as Karlsson goes, I’d be careful trading for him. It might be risky. Not only has Karlsson had a lot of injuries recently, but he just experienced some massive tragedy. That’s the type of thing that changes a person.

You’re likely too young to remember this, but Kirk McLean’s game went south in a hurry after the whole Jeff Brown thing took place. Karlsson is Karlsson, and the Canucks could obviously use a guy like that, but I think there are risks now involved.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
bad gamble to make 6 mil extra on a 3 year and risk losing 34 m total if injured (8x8 -30m)
but if it was 15m for 3 years.. you risk losing 18m, but if u can sign another 8x8 in 3 years you're up maybe 40m+ on your career. not bad... id still take the guaranteed though.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Prettty sure Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi and whoever we draft this year will put bums in the seats. We don’t need an overthe hill bum just because of name recognition aka Spezza or Lucic etc

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I forgot about the draft being in Vancouver next year, lol. In any case, I would hold onto the 2019 1st, but would only explore moving it (along with Eriksson) IF Benning decides to take on (HighTicketSignedLongTerm + 1st).

I didn’t realize Bobby Ryan “only” had 4 years left. That option might be worth exploring, but I haven’t done the math in terms of long term ramifications.

As far as Karlsson goes, I’d be careful trading for him. It might be risky. Not only has Karlsson had a lot of injuries recently, but he just experienced some massive tragedy. That’s the type of thing that changes a person.

You’re likely too young to remember this, but Kirk McLean’s game went south in a hurry after the whole Jeff Brown thing took place. Karlsson is Karlsson, and the Canucks could obviously use a guy like that, but I think there are risks now involved.

If management kept spending to a minimum and left space to sign Boeser we'd be fine for a few years until Pettersson, Juolevi and whoever else makes the team on ELCs needs raises. We'd need to resign our RFA's this offseason (Virtanen, BaetscBae etc.), but I believe it can work.

I think you've mistaken my part about taking Ryan in a Karlsson deal. I don't want to take any part in the Karlsson sweepstakes due to where our team is at the moment. It's been suggested though Ryan would potentially go out in a Karlsson deal or another/3rd team could enter the deal to make it less of a burden for the acquiring team.

If the situation arises I'd like the Canucks to be the team taking Ryan and gaining pieces from Ottawa and the team getting Karlsson for playing the 3rd party. Of course I don't know if Benning has the initiative to puraup such options and I have doubts he would do something like it.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If management kept spending to a minimum and left space to sign Boeser we'd be fine for a few years until Pettersson, Juolevi and whoever else makes the team on ELCs needs raises. We'd need to resign our RFA's this offseason (Virtanen, BaetscBae etc.), but I believe it can work.

I think you've mistaken my part about taking Ryan in a Karlsson deal. I don't want to take any part in the Karlsson sweepstakes due to where our team is at the moment. It's been suggested though Ryan would potentially go out in a Karlsson deal or another/3rd team could enter the deal to make it less of a burden for the acquiring team.

If the situation arises I'd like the Canucks to be the team taking Ryan and gaining pieces from Ottawa and the team getting Karlsson for playing the 3rd party. Of course I don't know if Benning has the initiative to puraup such options and I have doubts he would do something like it.

Oh ok cool, fair enough. Yeah that Bobby Ryan scenario does sound quite creative. Would be interested to see what that would look like, and what our short term and long term cap would look like.

As far as Baertschi goes, I think the Canucks should move him for a draft pick. Ditto for Ben Hutton. Goldobin takes Baertschi’s spot, while Juolevi replaces Hutton. I think Goldobin has earned that spot. I like Baertschi to an extent, but Goldobin seems to be more dynamic/explosive when he’s on. I think there is some definite growth potential with Goldobin. Ditto for Virtanen.

Bye bye to Hutton, Baertschi, and Granlund for me.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It will be Ilya Kovalchuk, its a perfect scenario for him. He's 35, interested in big money from the NHL, and will likely only want a short term contract. Canucks can offer him 8-9 million over 3 years.

And he retires in the middle of the next season to go back to KHL.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
What friking difference will ANY big ticket F.A make to this team?

THEY ARE OBSESSED WITH SHORTCUTS

Do they not understand they have spent a half decade trying to find a "Quick Fix"?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
3yrs is the max I will do on taking a high contract. 3yrs from now Pettersson will need his new contract. What if they get Dahlin, that is at least 16 M right there and probably more

I will try to send Gagner back other way as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad