Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

so carlson cares more about money then he does about wasting 3 prime years of his playing career on one of the worst teams in the league?

and then if he gets hurt, or play drops off, he wont care that he basically will lose money in the long run?

keep dreamin nucks fans. No one is going there without them overpaying in both salary AND term

Feb 24, 2017
100+pt cup contender, or 70pt lotto team. tough call

pretty sure he stays in washington, or goes to a good team (ie not the nucks)
I’m not saying he should want to play in Vancouver. I’m saying he should sign cheap to play for the undisputed future dynasty spawned from Hayley.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
He should do the right thing and sign a hometown discount with North America’s team, yeah?

Do the right thing, John.

He's leading the D in points + career year + 28 years old

For his last meaningful contract, why he would accept a 10x3 (30M$) from a bad team, when he can get probably 7,5 X 8, (60M$) (double more) from his current team that he likes.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
so carlson cares more about money then he does about wasting 3 prime years of his playing career on one of the worst teams in the league?

and then if he gets hurt, or play drops off, he wont care that he basically will lose money in the long run?

keep dreamin nucks fans. No one is going there without them overpaying in both salary AND term

The Canucks will OFFER. It's up to Carlson if he wants to take that offer or not.
It's a small risk, but the upside is that if he solidifies himself as one of the best defenders in the NHL, and he will get all the opportunity in the world in Vancouver, then he gets paid massively after the 1/2 years he signs for.

If another team offers the term and the money, then by all means he should take that.
But if the best offer is a contract paying 2 million less for 5 years longer, well I know I'd probably risk it.

Feb 24, 2017
He's leading the D in points + career year + 28 years old

For his last meaningful contract, why he would accept a 10x3 (30M$) from a bad team, when he can get probably 7,5 X 8, (60M$) (double more) from his current team that he likes.
The Canucks are the last place I want Carlson to sign.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m not saying he should want to play in Vancouver. I’m saying he should sign cheap to play for the undisputed future dynasty spawned from Hayley.

yup, no where did i mention anything about that.
sensitive much?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Canucks will OFFER. It's up to Carlson if he wants to take that offer or not.
It's a small risk, but the upside is that if he solidifies himself as one of the best defenders in the NHL, and he will get all the opportunity in the world in Vancouver, then he gets paid massively after the 1/2 years he signs for.

If another team offers the term and the money, then by all means he should take that.
But if the best offer is a contract paying 2 million less for 5 years longer, well I know I'd probably risk it.

he wont

he already is one of the best dmen in the league. a lot more risk playing for a team that can barely score in vancouver.
66pts this year. nucks have 0 guys over 55 pts. Carlson would be hard pressed to get 50pts in vancouver.
Bye bye 7-7.5 per year long term deal

Feb 24, 2017
yup, no where did i mention anything about that.
sensitive much?
I’m not sensitive. It has nothing to do with my fave team.

I just happen to know exactly what you’re thinking, and said it.

Halla, balla.

Hayley’s little balla gonna lead the leafs to 10 in 10.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Also note,

Friedman mentions the Canucks are also looking into obtaining bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.

I’m all aboard for the overpay / shorter term strategy, but I don’t think I’d be on board with the strategy of obtaining bad contracts in exchange for picks........although it depends on what the bad contracts are.

Over the past few days, I’ve flirted with the idea of the Canucks taking on the likes of Lucic/Seabrook, etc with the expectation that we would get their 1st, but the long term cap ramifications would be too risky.....especially in light of the Roberto Luongo situation if Luongo chose to retire before his contract expired.

If Benning wants 1st round picks with the expectation that he’d take on “high ticket” guys that are signed long term and are under delivering (I.e. Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Seabrook, etc.), then I think it’s a bad idea. You’re looking at a very messy cap situation once guys like Boeser, Pettersson, etc., need to be reupped.

However, if Benning is looking at taking on some shorter term contracts while accepting 2nd or 3rd rounders, then I’m all aboard (Troy Brouwer + 2nd to Vancouver in exchange for a late round pick).

Hindustan Smyl’s conclusion:

1) Offer John Carlson or John Tavares the shorter term huge cap hit offer.
2) accept 2nd and 3rd round picks for decent plugs that are signed for 2 years (Brouwer).
3) Do NOT accept guys like Lucic, Seabrook, Okposo, etc. for a 1st round pick as this would leave the Canucks with a very messy future cap structure. IF you go this route, then trade Louie Eriksson + 2019 1st to another team to counter the incoming salary.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Those are definitely the type of deals the Canucks would be looking to make

I would be quite upset if the Canucks made that deal.

The only way I’d be happy with this deal was if the Islanders (or another team) were willing to accept Louie Eriksson and our 2019 1st.

Last edited:

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Watch this be something so underwhelming like Jack Johnson for a 2 year 8M deal or something stupid like that. We all know he needs money badly so it would make sense for him to accept a quick payout deal. Plus JB wants to add toughness and he's at least a physical presence. It's not like I'm an advocate to make this move, but it would make somewhat of sense based solely on past headlines.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So you would take $30 mill over 3 years vs $50 million over 7 years, cause you hope to still get a 4 year sea afterwards at $6-7 million to bring you total to between $54-58 million.

The risk is hat if you suffer injuries during your 3 year deal you won’t get the payday at th nd. Hockey players are more risk averse than risk takers for the most part. So to risk $20 million to gain an extra $5-7 probably isn’t likely to happen.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
We actually have the quotes from Friedman now (released in 31 thoughts):

2. All of a sudden, Vancouver has more than $20 million to play with for 2018–19. Word is they were very interested in Mikael Backlund before Calgary re-signed him. They have young players with top-six skill - Jonathan Dahlen,
Adam Gaudette
and Elias Pettersson — who might not be ready for full-time top-six roles. How do they bridge that one-, two- or three-year gap? One possibility is they offer some short-term, bigger-money contracts to the group of available free agents.

Their interest in Backlund has opponents thinking they could be an aggressive participant in the market. The other is by leveraging their cap space like Vegas did last summer. We’ll help you, the Canucks can say, but you are going to help us. Two calls I’d be making would be to Chicago and Ottawa. Could the Canucks pitch taking some or all of Marian Hossa’s cap hit and/or Bobby Ryan’s contract, as long as the Blackhawks and Senators make it worth their while? (Ryan would have some control over his destination.)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
not saying it will happen to Carlson, but we've seen players like Vanek fall off and are now hanging around the league on short-term, ~2-million dollar contracts.

if I were Carlson, I'd stay on a good team, take a long-term, 7x7 deal or whatever and keep the security compared to what a 10x3 could do. That's just me, though.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
So you would take $30 mill over 3 years vs $50 million over 7 years, cause you hope to still get a 4 year sea afterwards at $6-7 million to bring you total to between $54-58 million.

The risk is hat if you suffer injuries during your 3 year deal you won’t get the payday at th nd. Hockey players are more risk averse than risk takers for the most part. So to risk $20 million to gain an extra $5-7 probably isn’t likely to happen.

That's fair.
But Carlson is still decently young. The chance that he gets a career ending injury at 28/29/30 is not that high. Even if he ends the year with the Tanev bug, so like 60 games per season, I still think someone will sign him for at least 4-5 million over the same time span. So effectively, theres a situation where he doesn't do great, and still gets the same or more money.

I don't see him signing with Vancouver :)
Offers like these are rarely accepted, but if he is feels like taking the risk on then he could bring in some serious money. It would have to be a generous offer though. I feel like it might be a tad bit more than 10 million, and it might be less than 3 years - maybe 12 over 2.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Honestly, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Sign him with the loads of cap-space the Nucks have, give the fans a little star power and your prospects a mentor.
The best part is, they can deal him at the deadline in 3 years and get a return similar to NYRs when they dealt McD.

It's a high risk, high reward play for Carlson though.

OT: Keep an eye out on this because it could turn into tampering.
It's not Tampering when Benning/Linden didn't say it... it's Friedman.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Good players in their prime want to play for teams with a chance for a Cup. A Stanley Cup, not a coffee cup.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Why is a big name D taking less years? Are they trying to get injured and miss out on millions?

Because he can set his family up for life either way, and a gamble could lead to him earning even more. I think I saw people saying the Caps might offer something like 7-8M per year for 6-8 years. That'd be 42-64M. What if the Canucks tabled an offer for 10-12M for 3 years? He earns 30-36M - still set for life - and is still only 31 years old at the end, meaning that if he continues with his good play he's still in a great position to negotiate a long-term deal at a time with a higher cap (i.e. he could make another 30-50M depending on how he plays). Of course it's riskier, but (setting aside any personal reasons, which we don't know) I could see some people taking a chance. People do bet on themselves sometimes.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It will be Ilya Kovalchuk, its a perfect scenario for him. He's 35, interested in big money from the NHL, and will likely only want a short term contract. Canucks can offer him 8-9 million over 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad