Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
who else would love to see sopel's hair and johnny canucker show us how it is done and negotiate a solid deal whenever they want from jp barry when he is agent for their two best young players.

i know i would, and the side effect of hell freezing over would also be cool.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
who else would love to see sopel's hair and johnny canucker show us how it is done and negotiate a solid deal whenever they want from jp barry when he is agent for their two best young players.

Buckaroo I'm at least smart enough to know I'm dumb. I stand behind my takes, and I believe that they are always good and smart and perfect and right

This is the lamest type of post too. "Are you the professional in this position?? Then stop having an opinion." If this was a trump card in any discussion, just shut down the board entirely and recreate it as a monument to the concept of appealing to authority

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
It took only 8 years to build a team that might compete for the playoffs in the mighty Pacific. If you don't realize how impressive that is, some sharks live to be over 300 years old, so 8 is nothing.
Plus we have Jet Woo waiting in the wings, and we've only traded away our 1st and 2nd last yr, 1st, 3rd, and 4th this yr, and a measly 2nd next yr.
GM of the Year? Unless he gets robbed again, absolutely.

*We also added a 5th and a 6th this yr!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I personally believe that my own experience first as an officer and later a guild leader for my World of Warcraft guild would make me eminently qualified to handle contract negotiations with a seasoned player agent with a law degree. Handling the fragile egos of my fellow guildmates as I had to ascertain who got which magical sword is not unlike understanding the needs of a professional athlete. Furthermore,

(This is not meant as a dig at you, BrentSopelsHair, just some self-depreciation)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This Pacific Division is shaping up as a bit of a train-wreck this season. The top three teams in the division are guarantied playoff spots.

So conceding playoff spots to Vegas and Edmonton, then it means the Canucks have to find a way to beat out the likes of the Flames, Kings, Ducks Sharks and the Kraken for third in the division.

If they can't do that with the roster they have, then the owner will be justified in bringing out the broom next spring.

Why are we conceding a spot to Edmonton? Unlike Vegas, Edmonton lacks season to season consistency and they're relying on a 39 year old goalie coming off his best year in almost a decade. I think they still lack scoring depth up front. Guys like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto might take another step forward or they might not. If they do the Oilers will be better.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Buckaroo I'm at least smart enough to know I'm dumb. I stand behind my takes, and I believe that they are always good and smart and perfect and right

This is the lamest type of post too. "Are you the professional in this position?? Then stop having an opinion." If this was a trump card in any discussion, just shut down the board entirely and recreate it as a monument to the concept of appealing to authority

you're missing the point. i couldn't sign them any time i wanted either. it takes two to tango.

if barry wants to play a long game then you either blink or you play along.

listening to his recent interview it is pretty clear he is politely playing a long game.

and try not to be so thin skinned. not everything is about you much less about deplatforming you. you made a bad post that made a bad point. deal with it. we all do it sometimes.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
you're missing the point. i couldn't sign them any time i wanted either. it takes two to tango.

if barry wants to play a long game then you either blink or you play along.

listening to his recent interview it is pretty clear he is politely playing a long game.

and try not to be so thin skinned. not everything is about you much less about deplatforming you. you made a bad post that made a bad point. deal with it. we all do it sometimes.
I don't disagree with that at all, moreso like everything with the Canucks our predicament is of our own making and as futile as it is to imagine that things were different, it still feels good. Barry has immense leverage and is using it to get his clients their best possible deal, and full power to them, players should get theirs at all times.

And fair point, I guess it just hit a nerve (on my side). No worries, but if you can't see that my original point was facetious I don't know what to tell you

Reactions: geebaan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think Berry is well aware of Benning's current position and in no rush to get a deal done.

The longer this takes the more leverage Berry has over a desperate GM trying to save his job this season.
Jim-Benning-Canucks-1.jpg

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Yah there’s no way I could have made all those fantastic signings that JB made (which he later bought out or traded before the aforementioned contracts were up).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Will the Canucks improve next season?....it's hard to see how they can't.

But will it be because they're better on the ice, or will it be because they're returning to the old Pacific Division? The Pacific is shaping up as the NHL's version of Moe, Larry and Curley attacking another reno project. It's bad, folks.

So if the Canucks fail to make the playoffs next year then the owner will have no choice but to bring out the broom. It's the playoffs or bust for this regime.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Why are we conceding a spot to Edmonton? Unlike Vegas, Edmonton lacks season to season consistency and they're relying on a 39 year old goalie coming off his best year in almost a decade. I think they still lack scoring depth up front. Guys like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto might take another step forward or they might not. If they do the Oilers will be better.

Are you convinced Vegas is better than Edmonton after this offseason?
Feels like they'll take a step back at the very least as they won't have guaranteed elite goaltending for the entire season.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Just re-signed Brisebois..is there anything this GM can't accomplish?

Keeps on adding to the depth of tweener defenceman who will provide little at the NHL level.

A day to day mindset keeps Jim employed and "you know" busy and stuff.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you convinced Vegas is better than Edmonton after this offseason?
Feels like they'll take a step back at the very least as they won't have guaranteed elite goaltending for the entire season.

I've underestimated Vegas every year so until I see otherwise I won't do so again, at least not in the regular season.

I don't see how they wouldn't be better than Edmonton. Edmonton has McDavid and Drais but Vegas has more depth on the wings. They acquired Dadonov who is a bounce back candidate. The same goes for Patrick. Even if both disappoint I don't think it would have much of an impact. I think they are better on D. It's a group that has largely played with each other for years and knows what it takes to win hockey games.

As for goaltending, I would feel much better going into the season with Lehner and Broissoit combo than what Edmonton has.

I think Edmonton has better forward depth than years past but the depth consist of players who (until proven otherwise) are a bunch of players who are 2nd line wingers at best. You split up McDavid and Drais and you have Puljujarvi, RNH, Yamamoto, Foegle, and Kassian (I assume Hyman will be a reliable top 6 winger) vying for top 6 spots. The talent is there but RNH is the only player proven capable of even putting up high end 2nd line production. You play McDavid with Drais and Hyman and the second line consists of RNH, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto? Can Puljujarvi continue to take steps forward or produce away from McDavid? Yamamoto could be better but again he's no sure thing. I think there are a lot of question marks there. Their D is improved but again they are relying on a 39 year old goaltender coming off his best season in like 9 years. How will Smith perform having to play 50-55 games? Are the Oilers going to carry 3 goaltenders? Stalock is a capable backup if playing behind a good defense. Otherwise he's quite average. Koskinen can bounce back I guess but you can't be comfortable going into the season with that goaltending trio.

I think McDavid, Drais and the Oilers PP can win a lot of games for Edmonton. So they definitely can make the playoffs handily. But I don't see them as being a good team or sure thing to make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad