Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Good and fair analysis.

My two comments on Defense:

1. After Pettersson and Hughes are signed along with Dickinson.....the Canucks should have some extra cap space with Ferland LTIR plus leftover dollars. I don't think you can assume 'that's it' for the defense. Poolman isn't necessarily OEL's partner. Personally, I think the Canucks need to trade Juolevi for a draft pick and use his money plus the surplus cash and get a top 4 defender.

2. Brad Shaw - absolutely necessary. Defense has been criticized during Green's tenure...and maybe he and Brad Shaw need to adjust the playing style to prevent less turnovers, etc. I really believe Brad Shaw is an important addition to this team overall.

Chaput

Re: OJ, what money? He'll be replacing someone of basically the same value. They won't have anything left over

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Is Conor Garland 1988 Mario Lemieux or something?

Of course that isn't fair. It's mostly the same group as last year and that didn't happen, with a far better defense.
Well, Garland makes our second line a lot stronger than last year, and podz and Dickinson make our 3 rd line a lot harder to play against. Our defence will benefit greatly from this. IMO.

Reactions: Jimnastic

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Miller - Horvat - Boeser
Pearson - Sutter - Garland
Hoglander - MacEwan - Motte
Highmore - Petan - Bailey

OEL - Myers
Juolevi - Hamonic
Rathbone - Poolman

Demko
Halak

This roster is garbage. WTF are you talking about? Benning has planted some flowers and built a new deck on a house that could be condemned if the foundation isn't properly secured.
What does posting this roster even contribute to the conversation? I'm sure you're well aware that won't be the team the Canucks ice next season.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
If the Canucks make the playoffs, Benning definitely stands a good chance of winning GM of the year (I'd be shocked if he wasn't nominated).

1.) Team previously made playoffs.
2.) GM makes lots of moves (many of the biggest moves of the Summer).
3.) GM locks up his stars (given the cap space, this is hopefully locking them both up long-term).
4.) Team (presumably in this hypothetical) sees big points improvement and makes playoffs.

It's a script we've seen time and time again with the GM of the year award. Its the flaw of evaluating a GM's performance based on a one year picture, but that's the award.

He won't even be nominated unless we make some miracle run and win the division, (which ain't happening), he made moves to clean up the mess he created and really didn't get anyone worth mentioning but Garland. He also created a potentially bigger mess by trading for one of the most overpaid hockey players in the NHL.

It has been widely reported that these will be bridge deals, not long term, which he could've done if not for the bloated contracts such as the one he traded for.

I'm pretty sure everyone voting would be aware of these things, I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't vote for him based on these things.

As has been said, anyone actually believing this crap is living in a fantasy land.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This Pacific Division is shaping up as a bit of a train-wreck this season. The top three teams in the division are guarantied playoff spots.

So conceding playoff spots to Vegas and Edmonton, then it means the Canucks have to find a way to beat out the likes of the Flames, Kings, Ducks Sharks and the Kraken for third in the division.

If they can't do that with the roster they have, then the owner will be justified in bringing out the broom next spring.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Tyson Nash, colour commentator for Arizona ,believes that OEL will thrive in the Vancouver market, especially having been unburdened with being the captain of the Coyotes.

If he can't handle being captain in a market where nobody cares what do think happens in this crazy market where Benning publicly stated that he expects him to be a top pairing defender that will play in all situations?

Reactions: MS and timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If he can't handle being captain in a market where nobody cares what do think happens in this crazy market where Benning publicly stated that he expects him to be a top pairing defender that will play in all situations?
He can just concentrate on playing hockey, and not be the spokesman for the team...I'm sure the Sedins have filled him in on the scrutiny of the fans and media...It seems as though OEL has wanted to be a Canuck for some time.

Nash believes that playing in a hockey market will reinvigorate OEL.
Tyson Nash: OEL a 'perfect fit' with Canucks, Garland will rise to the occasion - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's alright, Vancouver fans love to cut slack to players underperforming absolutely massive contracts. It's why Eriksson was an instant fan favourite.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Being captain of at team in a hockey market where basically nobody cares, should be a snap, right? I'm not so sure.

OEL committed to the Coyotes by signing an eight year deal, and probably started regretting it after only a season or two. Arizona Coyotes are one of the unstable franchises in the entire NHL. The ownership deck has been reshuffled more times than anyone can count. The NHL has hinted the franchise can't survive without a new downtown arena, but the chances of that happening seem remote at best.

Predictably with a franchise that's bleeding red ink, the team has had more ups and down than an out-of-control elevator. They've geared up with high priced veterans to try and compete; and then dismantled the entire team. Their previous GM John Chayka ran the franchise into the ground before he quit. And the team was stripped of a first and second round draft pick for entry draft irregularities. At present they're in the process of a complete teardown, and it might be five seasons before they're competitive again.

I mean you wouldn't be human if being captain of this listing Titanic of a franchise, didn't weigh on you. Sure the media isn't in your face after every loss, but it's still the equivalent of playing pro hockey in the Bermuda Triangle.

So it really isn't a stretch to think that he'll be a lot better in Vancouver where he's just another guy on the blueline. All the Canucks really need out of him is to be a reliable top-four guy, not necessarily the Norris-caliber guy he used to be.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
So it really isn't a stretch to think that he'll be a lot better in Vancouver where he's just another guy on the blueline. All the Canucks really need out of him is to be a reliable top-four guy, not necessarily the Norris-caliber guy he used to be.

He isn't just another guy

“We think he’s going to be our number one defenceman,” said Benning in a call with the media after the trade.

Benning: Ekman-Larsson “is going to be our number one defenceman” - Vancouver Is Awesome

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
All the Canucks really need out of him is to be a reliable top-four guy, not necessarily the Norris-caliber guy he used to be.

I keep seeing this and there's a couple of things that come to mind:

- Benning clearly doesn't see him that way. He unequivocally anointed him as a #1 and went on to state he was mystified as to what had happened with him the past 4 years, arguing he'd be in Norris contention every year if he played out East. This speaks to an unrealistic role for OEL to fulfill based on Benning's perception of him.

- The Canucks D sort of need him to be better than a middle of the pack top 4 guy. Assuming that Juolevi is continuing with his progression of becoming Lukas Krajicek 2.0 and that Poolman might see a slight advancement, that still leaves the rest of the Canucks blueline lacking someone who can reliably munch minutes.

In other words, Jim Benning sees him as a Norris caliber guy and the Canucks kinda sorta need him to be to not be a complete dumpster fire on the backend.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is the bit that's ridiculous.

People are actually saying that there will be less pressure on him when he's being asked to be the #1 defender in a major hockey market with no supporting cast on the blueline than when he was in Arizona when he was being asked to be the #3 defender in a market where nobody noticed if he played badly.

He isn't going to Tampa to be the #5 defender and blend into the crowd. He's coming to Vancouver where he's expected to be the saviour.

Reactions: Nucker101

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is the bit that's ridiculous.

People are actually saying that there will be less pressure on him when he's being asked to be the #1 defender in a major hockey market with no supporting cast on the blueline than when he was in Arizona when he was being asked to be the #3 defender in a market where nobody noticed if he played badly.

He isn't going to Tampa to be the #5 defender and blend into the crowd. He's coming to Vancouver where he's expected to be the saviour.

While I agree I bet we will see media for the most part go easy on him for “some” reason no matter how he plays.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While I agree I bet we will see media for the most part go easy on him for “some” reason no matter how he plays.

This is probably true. The media didn't say boo about Eriksson until he rejected a move to Edmonton at the 2019 deadline that ticked off management, and then it was open season.

Fan pressure will still be huge.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i believe he said oel "can" play all situations. it's rather doubtful he will play in all situations like a true 1d and particularly not pp1 situations or from behind.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Would it be fair to say, because of our forward depth and quality, the Canucks will be spending less time in the defensive zone, and wouldn’t that make the d’s job easier/make them look better statistically?

It would be just as fair to say , the forwards will get the puck way less as the defensmen feeding them the puck are much worse. Also they will have more trouble defending meaning forwards have to come back and help.

Reactions: racerjoe

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
How is this hard ? They are both (different class) RFAs lol. A monkey could do this deal.
It shouldn't really be, in Pettersson's case we should be backing up the moneymobile and telling him to take what he wants for max term and extending Hughes for 6 years. However, we instead have mucked up our cap in a truly singular way by prioritizing aging defenders and pricey forwards rather than the actual engines of the team, and we're gonna get bitten for it in the future once Benning is in the OBC cigar room

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad