Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Most improved team?
Possibly. It will be one of the bottom feeders for sure and the Canucks fit that category. But there was a lot of optimism after the playoff run and we know how that turned out. I have to say that I’m cautiously optimistic that we should compete for a playoff spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have made a lot of changes.....and on paper, they should be better. But there are still a lot more 'ifs' than 'guarantees'.

"If' OEL can recover the form he showed four seasons ago now; 'if' Demko can replicate the form he showed basically in the last 30 games; 'if' Hoglander doesn't suffer through a sophomore let down; 'If' Hughes can be a lot better than he was last season; 'if' Pettersson can stay healthy; and if guys like Garland, Podkolzin, Pearson, Highmore and Motte can produce a better bottom six; 'if' their right side of 30-plus guys like Schenn, Myers and Hamonic can hold up; and 'if' one of Poolman, Hamonic or Schenn can be an effective partner for Quinn Hughes.

Some of those 'ifs' might work out....but history shows that some of them won't. I guess the silver lining is that the reconstituted Pacific Division is shaping up as one of the NHL's weakest. They'll really have to implode not to make the playoffs.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Covid was one of many reasons why we were bad last year. I don't think this scenario is out of the realm of possibilities. I think Calgary and us will be competing for the last spot in the Pacific.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It is too early.

If Pettersson and Hughes end up with stupid deals, the odds are much lower.

Also, GM Armstrong in Arizona has a mile lead on every one IMO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks make one of the biggest improvements points/standings wise he deserves to be a finalist for the award given the moves that were made.

Reactions: Indiana

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It is too early.

If Pettersson and Hughes end up with stupid deals, the odds are much lower.

Also, GM Armstrong in Arizona has a mile lead on every one IMO.

No, he really doesn't. This has historically been a very results orientated reward - no one cares that Armstrong is building a team that might be really good in 5 years.

For sure though, hf boards would anoint Armstrong as GM of the year carrying a long standing tradition of completely over-rating draft picks. Sarcasm aside I do like what Armstrong's committing to moving forward

Reactions: Indiana and dwarf

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

When I was in college, everyone in the class bombed an electronics controls midterm. We got a chance to take our midterms home, correct our own mistakes and hand it in. For this, we got half credit. So if you had 50%, got all the corrections right, the maximum 'corrected midterm' mark would be 75%. Some students still made mistakes on the take-home corrections anyway.

JB bombed while out on the job, not as a student, yet he still got a chance to correct his mistakes. If they all work out, he gets 'half credit' too, since he is only correcting his own mistakes. Like, that's nice, but why were you signing these bad deals in the first place? You had to flush picks and eat dead cap (the 25% left on the table) to correct your mistakes. Yeah, hopefully he has learned and it all works out, but it would be pretty hard to reward him for this. His reward for everything working out is not getting fired in May 2022.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Remember when the Canucks were already terrible when they got COVID, and many of us here joked at the time about how that would be applied retroactively as an excuse anyway? Good times.

Let’s also not forget the Canucks had a brutal schedule last year. If I recall correctly, they played the most games up until the schedule break they got. When the break finished was when covid spread around the team making them sit out for weeks. After which they played another condensed schedule of games to finish off the season.

Half of their opponents are on the other side of the country and 3 hours ahead. And even Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton are not that close.

Not too mention, playing a significant portion of the season without the best player.

I think this team would improve this season even if we iced the same team we iced last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

I hope it happens. lol.

Would be amazing to see him catch up to Mike Gillis. Are you also predicting that Benning will deliver a President's Trophy and Stanley Cup final?

w640xh480_GettyImages-117115722.jpg

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Here's the past 10 year GM of the Year award winners. Unlike the coach of the year it doesn't just go to the team that made the biggest improvement. The only real outlier I can see is the 2010 award to Don Maloney of Phoenix. So I think Benning has almost no chance unless the team wins its division. Travis Green could however get coach of the year if the Canucks are the most improved team as that is often how that award is determined.
  • 2021: Lou Lamoriello, New York Islanders
  • 2020: Lou Lamoriello, New York Islanders
  • 2019: Don Sweeney, Boston Bruins
  • 2018: George McPhee, Vegas Golden Knights
  • 2017: David Poile, Nashville Predators
  • 2016: Jim Rutherford, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 2015: Steve Yzerman, Tampa Bay Lightning
  • 2014: Bob Murray, Anaheim Ducks
  • 2013: Ray Shero, Pittsburgh Penguins
  • 2012: Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues
  • 2011: Mike Gillis, Vancouver Canucks
  • 2010: Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I hope it happens. lol.

Wasn't that you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad