Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
Can OEL bounce back to a #1 D?

Will Hughes learn how to play defense over the off-season?

Will Myers stop getting caved in on defense enough to anchor a second pair?

Will Poolman turn into a Tanev-esque defender?

Can Luke Schenn handle actual third pair minutes not on a stacked team?

Will Juolevi stop playing fortnite long enough to improve his skating?

Is Rathbone the real deal and will he get adequate playing time amongst the glut of defensemen?

Find out on the next season of Benning Ball Z!

Reactions: Christina Woloski

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
upload_2021-8-3_20-6-56.jpeg

I don't think we like to fight people with their "hands tied behind their back"...I think we're baffled why people with their hands tied behind their back are so eager to look for a fight with the people who aren't tied up.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Gotta sign your best players first. The hardest job is somehow retaining your top talent.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Good and fair analysis.

My two comments on Defense:

1. After Pettersson and Hughes are signed along with Dickinson.....the Canucks should have some extra cap space with Ferland LTIR plus leftover dollars. I don't think you can assume 'that's it' for the defense. Poolman isn't necessarily OEL's partner. Personally, I think the Canucks need to trade Juolevi for a draft pick and use his money plus the surplus cash and get a top 4 defender.

2. Brad Shaw - absolutely necessary. Defense has been criticized during Green's tenure...and maybe he and Brad Shaw need to adjust the playing style to prevent less turnovers, etc. I really believe Brad Shaw is an important addition to this team overall.

Chaput

Returning Defense

Quinn Hughes - After the bubble we though we were watching the 2nd coming of Eric Karlsson after last year were questioning if he can be effective 5v5. The sophomore slump is real and while its fair to say players and coaches have figured out how to break Hughes down and he has some rather large deficiencies defending i think it's also fair to say he had a horrendous year with mental gaffs, coverage and puck management. Quinn's best attribute is his smarts and i fully expect he will figure out a lot of his mistakes. He will get back to being a Corsi and possession beast and a PP wizard. (Expect++)
Tyler Myers, Travis Hamonic, Olli Juolevi - Hoping that Hamonic can stay healthy and Olli can keep improving. Expecting mostly the same and potentially some age related decline. (Small -)

summary - Expect marginal improvement overall with Hughes and Myers having to eat less minutes and having better support group from the forwards and in the depth of the defensive group.

Who's out and who is in.

Out - Alex Edler, Nate Schmidt, Jordie Benn, Jalen Chatfield
In - Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jack Rathbone, Tucker Poolman, Luke Schenn,

summary - A lot of this will hinge on OEL. If he can get back to being motivated and playing as a legit top4 that can be relied upon in all situations then him vs Edler should be a nice upgrade. I'm not gonna get too worked up about his last few yrs in Arizona it's clear he played with hot garbage in a hot garbage system and was fed up and tuned out. Have to give him a chance and see. Massive X factor here because if he's legit top pair like Benning seems to think we could see a big injection to the group.

As far as Schmidt Benn Chatfield vs Rathbone Poolman and Schenn your basically replacing 2 non NHLers with 2 serviceable guys and the X factor here is can Rathbone be nearly as effective as Nate Schmidt was? If not then we lost a good #3 defenseman and will be patching it together with lesser player which wont bode well. If Rathbone builds on his confident and impressive start to his pro career then we may look back and be happy about moving on and allocating the cap elsewhere and being a deeper group. Huge wait and see here with it relying heavily on OEL and Rathbone. (A small +) for ridding ourselves of unhappy and poor players and adding a more balance prime aged competitive group and a huge dose of hope and faith. Lots of ??????

Coaching - Shaw should be a good add and i fully expect better from Travis with a camp and internal competition and competent depth. (Big ++) if they can figure out gap control and get better support from the forwards in possession scoring and positional play.

The farm being in Abbotsford should also be a help for call ups and assisting the growth of the kids. (Small+)

Absolutely we could be the most improved team but a lot of it will hinge on chemistry coaching and young players taking big steps in the right direction and our top forwards staying relatively healthy. A lot will have to go right and every off season bring this type of optimism if your looking for it. Reality is there will be unforeseen failures and players will get hurt and how will others adapt to new roles and pressure and the Rathbone OEL vs Schmidt Edler impacts will have a lot to say about it.

Depth wise we are definitely better and an uptick in Hughes and Peteys impacts should reflect in a team fighting for playoffs at least

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Most things we say here are click bait, or provocative. Like what you just said. Canucks being the most improved team is a realistic possibility, so as a side to that, I said maybe Benning gets consideration for gm of the year. Nothing wrong with that. You guys are just looking for ways to censor positive things about the team. Like when you guys plead to the mods about alleged trolling. And now click bait.

not positive ; realistic

it’s always been the problem. positivity is fine, but when I crosses a line into being very unrealistic, it’s fantasy and most people don’t want to discuss that

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Miller - Horvat - Boeser
Pearson - Sutter - Garland
Hoglander - MacEwan - Motte
Highmore - Petan - Bailey

OEL - Myers
Juolevi - Hamonic
Rathbone - Poolman

Demko
Halak

This roster is garbage. WTF are you talking about? Benning has planted some flowers and built a new deck on a house that could be condemned if the foundation isn't properly secured.

I think my favourite part of looking at this roster is the complete disregard for Edler (and Tanev).

Those were good defensman. A reliable veteran everyone keeps saying “has lost a step” is still a reliable veteran defensman.

the comedy around needing exactly the type of defensman that Tanev is should be talked about more

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

upload_2021-8-3_23-21-20.gif

Oh the fantasy world you Benning Bro's live in. Completely destroys a team, turns them from one of the best run organizations into a laughing stock, makes a trade which clears one hole by filling another, and now suddenly he is gonna win GM of the year?

WOW.

WOW.

Also who suggested this? I'm honestly curious.

Reactions: Flik and MarkMM

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't believe this is the case. Is it great? Nope. Before you say it is the worst, wait to see how OEL plays for the first 25 games of the season. Also - it's August 2nd. Wait until training camp. I don't think Benning is finished.

I've seen OEL play for years. He's not going to magically get better just because he's a Canuck. To me the whole "wait to see how he plays" argument is just lazy and reeks of not watching hockey outside of Vancouver. He's not a rookie, he's a veteran. People have seen him play for years, and what we have seen from him is supported by the analytics. He's a bottom pair calibre defenseman who was crushed in a second pair role last year. And before you, or anyone, claims Arizona was a bad team so it isn't fair to judge him: Vancouver was worse than Arizona this past season.

You don't think Benning is finished? What else is he going to do besides re-sign Pettersson, Hughes and Dickenson? There is no cap space. There might not be cap space to re-sign all 3 of those guys, let alone bring in anyone worthwhile on defense. The Canucks see OEL as a top pairing defenseman. They see Myers as a top 4 defenseman. Edmonton might have a slightly worse defense than the Canucks, but Vancouver's D is certainly not in the top 30 of the league.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
View attachment 459232

Oh the fantasy world you Benning Bro's live in. Completely destroys a team, turns them from one of the best run organizations into a laughing stock, makes a trade which clears one hole by filling another, and now suddenly he is gonna win GM of the year?

WOW.

WOW.

Tbh it’s not outside the realms of possibilities considering the amount of gaslighting they’ve done in the last 7 years.

Reactions: MarkMM

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
The absolute reality-ignoring positivity required to assume that OEL will become a 1st pair Dman for the first time in 4 years is extreme enough to border on fantasy. And the fun part is, the Canucks' ability to be a playoff team at best over the next few years relies on this fantasy becoming reality. I, for one, am not sure I'm going to be happy with a declining OEL being on the Canucks when Brock Boeser walks next year

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The absolute reality-ignoring positivity required to assume that OEL will become a 1st pair Dman for the first time in 4 years is extreme enough to border on fantasy. And the fun part is, the Canucks' ability to be a playoff team at best over the next few years relies on this fantasy becoming reality. I, for one, am not sure I'm going to be happy with a declining OEL being on the Canucks when Brock Boeser walks next year

You would have to live in a fantasy world at this point if your still sticking up for Benning, it means they all are dumb enough to believe Benning when he says OEL is a top pairing Dman.

Just like they believed when Benning said Sutter was a "cornerstone player", hahahaha

Last edited:

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Elias Pettersson - If he's healthy and hits that peak that we expect this will be a massive addition vs mostly a non factor and disappointment being hurt and his awful start. (Big +++)
JT Miller - Should be happy to be competitive and not spend the large portion of the season like last year disgruntled. (+)

The rest are fine but wanted to mention these two.

Due to Pettersson's injury being so severe it will be a good result if he only gets back to matching last year's form. He just started shooting last week or so? Expecting massive +++ improvement seems way over optimistical.

And your logic on Miller is wack. The team will be improved because Miller will be happy. And why is Miller happy? Because the team improved! It's self defining. The 1st part causes the 2nd and the 2nd part causes the first.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
OEL being the form he was 5 years ago is a bit far fetched, but being a top 4 D man isnt..Considering the situation he had in Arizona,I think there is good reason him to rebound (Tyson Nash, colour commentator for Arizona ,believes that OEL will thrive in the Vancouver market, especially having been unburdened with being the captain of the Coyotes).

With an improved top 9, the Canucks shouldn't be spending as much time in their own end...

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The only way I see us being a sure-fire top ten team that’s a contender rather than a pretender is if OEL plays like a top pairing defender and Poolman is really prime Tanev waiting to break out.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The only way I see us being a sure-fire top ten team that’s a contender rather than a pretender is if OEL plays like a top pairing defender and Poolman is really prime Tanev waiting to break out.

One of those things Stats says just can’t happen, the other everyone who watched says won’t happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Have people, like, actually looked at this defense?

People realize you need to have defensive defenders to match up against top opposition players, right?

Reactions: Hyzer

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
OEL will be a top 4 defenseman, even though he struggled last season and will be given an expanded role because he's gotten rid of the pressures of being captain in an apathetic market by walking into the hyper-critical Vancouver fishbowl.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Have people, like, actually looked at this defense?

People realize you need to have defensive defenders to match up against top opposition players, right?
Would it be fair to say, because of our forward depth and quality, the Canucks will be spending less time in the defensive zone, and wouldn’t that make the d’s job easier/make them look better statistically?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
View attachment 459232

WOW.

WOW.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, Benning definitely stands a good chance of winning GM of the year (I'd be shocked if he wasn't nominated).

1.) Team previously made playoffs.
2.) GM makes lots of moves (many of the biggest moves of the Summer).
3.) GM locks up his stars (given the cap space, this is hopefully locking them both up long-term).
4.) Team (presumably in this hypothetical) sees big points improvement and makes playoffs.

It's a script we've seen time and time again with the GM of the year award. Its the flaw of evaluating a GM's performance based on a one year picture, but that's the award.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would it be fair to say, because of our forward depth and quality, the Canucks will be spending less time in the defensive zone, and wouldn’t that make the d’s job easier/make them look better statistically?

Is Conor Garland 1988 Mario Lemieux or something?

Of course that isn't fair. It's mostly the same group as last year and that didn't happen, with a far better defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad