Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think good teams need exceptional goaltending all the time to win games. And we always have key injuries, that's never changed since I've started watching the team. Injuries are a poor excuse when they are just a fact of life we need to except with the toughest travel schedule in the league.
After their brutal start, they clawed their way back into the playoff race without their best player..They had a scheduled whole week off to recharge, and then covid hit...19 out of the 23 players got covid (Demko had it really bad), and 3 of their starting centres were out.

This isn't to excuse them for their atrocious start... Canucks withstood the injuries, but they were no match for the injuries + covid.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
After their brutal start, they clawed their way back into the playoff race without their best player..They had a scheduled whole week off to recharge, and then covid hit...19 out of the 23 players got covid (Demko had it really bad), and 3 of their starting centres were out.

This isn't to excuse them for their atrocious start... Canucks withstood the injuries, but they were no match for the injuries + covid.

The Canucks were not a playoff team. Full stop. These excuses are tiresome

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks were not a playoff team. Full stop. These excuses are tiresome
Maybe you should chill out...Clearly the season was pretty much lost in the first 3 weeks, and their chances of being a playoff team were cooked right there...but they fought back...and with a full week off, and a recharged Demko..they could have made the playoff race quite interesting..as Montreal and Calgary preceded to go right in the toilet.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

it won’t happen and it’s so far from reality, I hate it’s even being discussed. Especially since Benning has made egregious moves

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Maybe you should chill out...Clearly the season was pretty much lost in the first 3 weeks, and their chances of being a playoff team were cooked right there...but they fought back...and with a full week off, and a recharged Demko..they could have made the playoff race quite interesting..as Montreal and Calgary preceded to go right in the toilet.

Maybe yoou should just chill out?

That’s a whole bunch of ifs and couldas

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This is completely correct..but don't expect it to get acknowledged by the neggies.....

How? Games 20-37 from Feb 17 - March 24 (which is the period OP described that you've bolded: after their first 19 games and before covid) the team only won 9 games (and lost 9). How can it be "completely correct" that "they went 12-6" in a period where they went 9-9?

I apologize if referring to the team's actual record instead of an imaginary one makes me too much of a "neggie."

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How? Games 20-37 from Feb 17 - March 24 (which is the period OP described that you've bolded: after their first 19 games and before covid) the team only won 9 games (and lost 9). How can it be "completely correct" that "they went 12-6" in a period where they went 9-9?

I apologize if referring to the team's actual record instead of an imaginary one makes me too much of a "neggie."
....but you are a 'neggie' Robert Kron...No offence.....Rarely do you put out any real opinion on anything , or leave yourself vulnerable to make predictions like most other posters do.....It's not really that hard to sit on the sidelines, and just pick off 'irregularities' that dont fit the anti management agenda.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
....but you are a 'neggie' Robert Kron...No offence.....Rarely do you put out any real opinion on anything , or leave yourself vulnerable to make predictions like most other posters do.....It's not really that hard to sit on the sidelines, and just pick off 'irregularities' that dont fit the anti management agenda.

Not sure what this has to do with you claiming that it's "completely correct" that they went 12-6 in a period in which they didn't go 12-6. Am I supposed to just nod along and pretend that this imaginary stretch of games was real so as to avoid hurting any feelings?

More relevantly, instead of continuing on this weird tangent about me, you could instead explain what you meant when you said that it was "completely correct" that the team went 12-6 in a period in which they didn't go anywhere near 12-6. That's not really just an "irregularity." It looks more like a boldfaced lie.

Anyway, to bring this back to the original stream: Is it "completely correct" that they went 12-6 in the period that OP described? If not, would that not throw off the entire assessment of the season that you keep posting, given that you were operating based on a mistaken idea of the team's record during the period in which you keep saying they righted the ship?

Like, one would imagine that them going .500 over a period that you thought they went .667 or whatever it is would make a significant impact on your opinion of the season, considering you cite that period as the main indicator that the team was much better than their overall results, would it not?

This leaves me a bit confused about your reaction here, as I would have thought that you'd have appreciated me pointing out that you were operating off of incorrect information if your goal is to reach a real and objective judgement of the team rather than the agenda-pushing for which you so often chastise others.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure what this has to do with you claiming that it's "completely correct" that they went 12-6 in a period in which they didn't go 12-6. Am I supposed to just nod along and pretend that this imaginary stretch of games was real so as to avoid hurting any feelings?

More relevantly, instead of going off on some tangent about me, you could instead explain what you meant when you said that it was "completely correct" that the team went 12-6 in a period in which they didn't go anywhere near 12-6. That's not an "irregularity." It's a boldfaced lie.

So, to bring this back on topic: Is it "completely correct" that they went 12-6 in the period that OP described?
Those are 604's stats, I assumed they were correct...Maybe they were not spot on..Demko had a 920. save % that brought the team to almost .500, before the covid break.. and back into the playoff race..Who knows what might have happened with a rested Demko..?... (if he, and the team , had not have badly been affected by covid)..
https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-demko-vezina-trophy-2021/

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Those are 604's stats, I assumed they were correct...Maybe they were not spot on..Demko had a 920. save % that brought the team to almost .500, before the covid break.. and back into the playoff race..Who knows what might have happened with a rested Demko..?... (if he, and the team , had not have badly been affected by covid)..

But if you assumed that those numbers were correct, and they were in fact super not correct, should you not reevaluate your opinion of the season given that your sense of how things went is detached from reality? They were 5 games under .500 when they went into the eventual covid break, and they were 5 games under .500 after 19 games.

You're basing your assessment of the year off of a belief that after the first 19 games, they jumped to playing .66whatever hockey until the break instead of the reality of a much less significant improvement to .500 hockey during that stretch. If your sense of the season was correct, you'd have realized that OP's numbers looked unrealistic.

Edit: Saw the link you added. So Demko went .950sv in March, and you've previously said that Holtby was also really good after the first stretch of the season, but the team still lost as many games as they won in that period. What are we supposed to expect to have happened "with a rested Demko" after the break to lead to a big surge in the standings? Demko would have just posted shutouts all the way to the cup?

Furthermore, the "back towards the playoff race" sportsnet article linked from that THW piece is from March 18th. The team then proceeded to drop 3 of 4 to go into their break, so it's not like they were roaring into the break nipping on heels.

This is where the Canucks were at heading into their break, rather than the article you posted that was a week before the break. Iain MacIntyre doesn't seem to support your assertion that the team was "back into the playoff race" when they had to stop for covid:
Canucks snap back to reality after another lopsided loss to Jets

. . . It comes too late in the pandemic-shortened season to really help the players, but falls perfectly for general manager Jim Benning. Instead of a stay-cation of sleeping, hiking and playing video games like his players, Benning has an open week to make sales calls.
The Canucks’ playoff chances, already skinnier than Elias Pettersson’s jeans, fell closer to zero Wednesday when the Winnipeg Jets completed a two-game sweep in Vancouver with a 5-1 win at Rogers Arena.

. . .
The Canucks didn’t get what they deserved, but they’ve earned their record, 16-18-3, which makes their fantastical ambition of still making the playoffs all but impossible.
. . .
Luckily, hockey is just hockey. But the NHL is a business, too, and Benning needs to undertake the serious business of leveraging a handful of expiring contracts to see what he is able to extract for his rental players from teams more certain of needing lineup depth for the Stanley Cup tournament.
. . .
The team just hasn’t been good enough this season, and after an admirable 7-1-1 push at the start of March, is suddenly back on a three-game losing streak, going again the wrong way in the North Division standings.
. . .
It has been a painful season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pip

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We need to results and since it’s gms voting, if he makes it to the playoffs he might gets some votes but once again, it’s time for results. Let’s see em.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

This would be pretty much better than a Stanley Cup.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But if you assumed that those numbers were correct, and they were in fact super not correct, should you not reevaluate your opinion of the season given that your sense of how things went is detached from reality? They were 5 games under .500 when they went into the eventual covid break, and they were 5 games under .500 after 19 games.

You're basing your assessment of the year off of a belief that after the first 19 games, they jumped to playing .66whatever hockey until the break instead of the reality of a much less significant improvement to .500 hockey during that stretch. If your sense of the season was correct, you'd have realized that OP's numbers looked unrealistic.

Edit: Saw the link you added. So Demko went .950sv in March, and you've previously said that Holtby was also really good after the first stretch of the season, but the team still lost as many games as they won in that period. What are we supposed to expect to have happened "with a rested Demko" after the break to lead to a big surge in the standings? Demko would have just posted shutouts all the way to the cup?

Furthermore, the "back towards the playoff race" sportsnet article linked from that THW piece is from March 18th. The team then proceeded to drop 3 of 4 to go into their break, so it's not like they were roaring into the break nipping on heels.

This is where the Canucks were at heading into their break, rather than the article you posted that was a week before the break. Iain MacIntyre doesn't seem to support your assertion that the team was "back into the playoff race" when they had to stop for covid:

The Canucks will return to action with a record of 16-18-3.
How a week off will help the Canucks prepare for playoff push

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Didnt we start 6-5-0?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The Canucks will return to action with a record of 16-18-3.

This does not sound like the way you'd end an article about a team that you consider to be in a good position to make the playoffs:

. . . Hopefully, by the time the puck drops against the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night, the Canucks are recharged, fully healthy and ready for the fight of their lives. It’s the only way they’ll be able to survive.

Also, you forgot to address why your judgement of the season would be unchanged when your memory of how the season went was so clearly faulty, and your entire argument is based on something that wasn't real.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Didnt we start 6-5-0?
Yes we did, but most of those early wins were against a Senators team that had no confidence early in the season..the shoe would be on the other foot later in the season (and all the other North division teams would feel it)..

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This does not sound like the way you'd end an article about a team that you consider to be in a good position to make the playoffs:
"With 19 games remaining and only two back-to-backs within that span, Demko will likely see the net until either Vancouver is mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs or until they lock down a spot in the North division."

With Demko hot,... and a favourable schedule...and Calgary and Montreal shitting the bed...who knows?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If I took all my money, sold my house, and spent it all in one year, to the casual, uninformed, observer my net worth would look like a lot more than it is...

Not only did Benning borrow against the future by giving up draft picks, he found a way to shift a bunch of money to this year's roster from next. Now explain to me how this is sustainable.

If that's the kind of thing that gets him GM of the year, my concerns over the growing shortsightedness of our society will be further strengthened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad