Canucks will be the most improved team next year - Benning GM of the Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Covid was one of many reasons why we were bad last year. I don't think this scenario is out of the realm of possibilities. I think Calgary and us will be competing for the last spot in the Pacific.
Canucks got off to a brutal start last season,but the exceptional play of Demko got them back in the playoff race (almost at .500 before the break)…Covid and injuries pretty much killed off the remaining part of the season.

whats Calgary’s excuse?

Reactions: Indiana

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's more likely to get fired, but sure I will agree that there's a non-zero percent chance that the Canucks improve enough to propel Benning to GM of the Year. I mean, that would be great, but I think it lands firmly in the realm of wishful thinking.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Team should be better, and hoping they are, but that's precisely because Benning made big sacrifices in our future so the LEAST you should expect is an improved performance.

For it to be a great off-season the team would need to be turned from just a team that can get into the playoffs to either being a contender or for Benning to find some way to make up for the future damage. For example, if Benning could unload Myers and recoup good picks/prospects, then that would give back our cap flexibility and restock our future pipeline that's been paid away to get us where we are today.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Didn’t he get a few votes like four-five years ago? I think he’ll probably be in the conversation but I think there’s 2-3 other GM’s who’ve done a little bit better than him this year, and we still have the entire season, pre season and lead up to the preseason to go.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I mean, it's not impossible. But nothing to do with Covid.

With how weak the division is, a return to the playoffs is within the realm of possibility. The big jump in the standings could garner quite a few votes from those just looking at the improvement in a vacuum.

The worst part about that scenario is if Benning won GM of the year he'd likely get an extension.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So somebody suggested Benning could win GM of the year, which on the surface sounds ludicrous. But the Canucks were terrible last because of Covid (imo), so with Covid not in the way, and the pieces added this year, the Canucks could make a huge swing from the bottom to the top. This could make Benning look like some kind of genius with his recent acquisitions, and he could quite conceivably get the award.

It would poetic on an epic scale. The looks on peoples faces here would be priceless.

I hope it happens. lol.

Don't get your hopes up.

It won't.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
My hopes are up for the team this year. The Benning part is an interesting scenario that might come about if the Canucks have a huge turnaround, but I far prefer team success over any kind of award Benning could receive because of it.

Then it would be better if you stuck with that, the first few posts had lines in there about laughing at the faces of Canucks fans who've been upset that Benning has been doing damage to this team for years and only want him out because he hasn't yet shown he's good for the team.

Reactions: B-rock and Peter10

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Then it would be better if you stuck with that, the first few posts had lines in there about laughing at the faces of Canucks fans who've been upset that Benning has been doing damage to this team for years and only want him out because he hasn't yet shown he's good for the team.
Despite the bad signings, and whatever other bad moves, the team is positioned to become elite (IMO). It would be an interesting twist if Benning was rewarded for that. It is feasible, and that’s why I posted it.

• Haha
Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canucks got off to a brutal start last season,but the exceptional play of Demko got them back in the playoff race (almost at .500 before the break)…Covid and injuries pretty much killed off the remaining part of the season.

whats Calgary’s excuse?

I don't think good teams need exceptional goaltending all the time to win games. And we always have key injuries, that's never changed since I've started watching the team. Injuries are a poor excuse when they are just a fact of life we need to except with the toughest travel schedule in the league.

Reactions: B-rock

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Off topic, but has anyone ever done a study to find out who the most injury prone teams are and what may be causing it? I feel like that could and should be done. Maybe as some "Player Health and Safety audit" to try and make sure teams are up to code on their medical practices.

Just in general it sounds like it could be an interesting little factoid as well.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Off topic, but has anyone ever done a study to find out who the most injury prone teams are and what may be causing it? I feel like that could and should be done. Maybe as some "Player Health and Safety audit" to try and make sure teams are up to code on their medical practices.

As I alluded to, I think the travel-heavy teams are more prone to fatigue depending on the mental make-up of players. It's a hypothesis, and I'm hardly qualified enough to make any definitive statements on it. But, I think it's commonly accepted that more fatigue leads to more injuries.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
As I alluded to, I think the travel-heavy teams are more prone to fatigue depending on the mental make-up of players. It's a hypothesis, and I'm hardly qualified enough to make any definitive statements on it. But, I think it's commonly accepted that more fatigue leads to more injuries.
Probably, but its always nice to get concrete information. Even if it is some what basic like a "who gets injured the most" factoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad