Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs Senators. 7.30 pm ET

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I hope Murray trades Cowen cause he is 22 and makes mistakes. Then when he is 25 and an absolute beast playing #1 minutes for whatever team we trade him to I can LOL at all of the Cowen haters when they cry that we should of kept him. Also I hope we get a pick that pans out to nothing and a player with the offensive skills of Erik Condra and defensive skills of Matt Kassian.

This. People rag on Cowen but forget how young the guy is. He will be a beast one he fixes some minor things. Defencemen his size, you just dont let go especially this early in their careers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To put things in context, if we assume that Lehner's stats would be the same if he played in the games Anderson played in, we would have let in 31 goals in those games rather than 51.

That is more than a goal per game difference between the two goalies. Instead of being sixth last in the in goals against, we would be tied for fifth.

That's not how it works, the team has been pitiful in front of Anderson. They have a bad habit of giving up 5 to 6 glorious chances in the first 10 minutes of every game what do you expect exactly?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This. People rag on Cowen but forget how young the guy is. He will be a beast one he fixes some minor things. Defencemen his size, you just dont let go especially this early in their careers.

While I agree that younger D take time, especially big guys. The things he needs fixing are not minor. Hockey sense is not taught, the only way its developed is by bringing him along slowly. He has been his own worse enemy in that regard, the other issue I have with him is when he is yelling at the ref for taking a bad penalty. Or when he starts pointing at players in the D zone. This means he is not holding himself accountable, meaning its very hard to develop if you cant see whats wrong with your own game. Which also leads me to believe on top of lacking hockey sense he isn't very intelligent.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
It's a stretch to assume that his stats would remain the same given his lighter weaker opponents and his poor games he's already had in that lighter assignment.

His numbers have been consistent for the last 3 years and he has been at his best when he played because the starter was injured. He also played great against tougher west coast teams at the start of the season.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
That's not how it works, the team has been pitiful in front of Anderson. They have a bad habit of giving up 5 to 6 glorious chances in the first 10 minutes of every game what do you expect exactly?

I expect him to stop almost all of them if he is going to be the best goalie in the NHL. Lehner's numbers in the last 4 years are probably the best in that time - with the big caveat that the sample size was super small. If Anderson can't play to Lehner's level, then see how far Lehner can go.

Another fun stat: In the last two years, Lehner has played 23 legit games (like more than 5 SA) and had a worse save% in four of them than Anderson's career average save%.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rangers fan coming in peace. So is Cowen for Del Zotto fair in your eyes?

Can Cowen play RD?

That's the issue no one can. I highly doubt the sens would do that they have Wiercioch already with Ceci and Wideman in the minors don't need more offensive D men. They need a sold right handed D that plays big minutes consistently.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I expect him to stop almost all of them if he is going to be the best goalie in the NHL. Lehner's numbers in the last 4 years are probably the best in that time - with the big caveat that the sample size was super small. If Anderson can't play to Lehner's level, then see how far Lehner can go.

How far do you think a team goes that gives up quality scoring chances at the start of every game? Doesn't matter who the goalie is maybe they are hot for a bit but no one is super man.

My point is focusing on the goalie is like watching the sens blind, its not the problem. If the players infront of them played with a lead maybe it will help with the confidence. Every game going in knowing you will get peppered wears on a players psychy. Frankly I am glad they don't just throw Lehner to the wolves, it could damage him for a long time. Its player development, look at Dubnyk, he was good last year now he cant stop a beachball. Only so much an individual can take, especially a young player in a position that takes the longest to develop.

burf

Mar 27, 2012

Can Cowen play RD?

The Rangers would be getting the worse end of the deal, and neither team would address their needs (both teams need a 2nd pairing RD, and neither of those guys plays RD)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Can Cowen play RD?

MDZ is a free agent after this season, while Cowen is tied up until 2016-2017.

NYR needs to throw something else in the mix. How about Oscar Lindberg? ;)

Btw, Cowen is horrible, haha..

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I really, REALLY like Anton Stralman though. I believe he's severely underrated.

I'd do Stralman for Cowen without thinking twice.

He's got what Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch, Phillips and even Methot lacks - intelligence and vision.

Given age and free agency coming up. Give us Stralman + 3rd and you get Cowen.

Deal?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
While I agree that younger D take time, especially big guys. The things he needs fixing are not minor. Hockey sense is not taught, the only way its developed is by bringing him along slowly. He has been his own worse enemy in that regard, the other issue I have with him is when he is yelling at the ref for taking a bad penalty. Or when he starts pointing at players in the D zone. This means he is not holding himself accountable, meaning its very hard to develop if you cant see whats wrong with your own game. Which also leads me to believe on top of lacking hockey sense he isn't very intelligent.

Ah come on Bert a little harsh, most players ***** when they get penalties I think it's more out of frustration. He hasn't been good at all and it has just snowballed. That west coast trip at the beginning of the year really did a number with some guys confidence and I think he's at the top
Of the list. I agree with not being able to teach hockey sense but I feel he is over thinking and not just reacting a sign of no confidence.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I really, REALLY like Anton Stralman though. I believe he's severely underrated.

I'd do Stralman for Cowen without thinking twice.

He's got what Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch, Phillips and even Methot lacks - intelligence and vision.

Given age and free agency coming up. Give us Stralman + 3rd and you get Cowen.

Deal?

Not at all, Stralman isnt even close to Cowen.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I hope Murray trades Cowen cause he is 22 and makes mistakes. Then when he is 25 and an absolute beast playing #1 minutes for whatever team we trade him to I can LOL at all of the Cowen haters when they cry that we should of kept him. Also I hope we get a pick that pans out to nothing and a player with the offensive skills of Erik Condra and defensive skills of Matt Kassian.

Cowen's going nowhere. The fact is the team committed more than he is worth right now but the commitment is there. He should have sat a long time ago. One game isn't going to hurt him as he still gets paid whether he plays or not. $19000/game for sitting around and getting a rest. You guys can ***** all you want.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Strahlman could be had for much, much cheaper than Cowen.

I agree. That's why I said he was underrated and that NYR should throw in a 3rd rounder.

Stralman is fourth in ice-time on his team, and their defence is on a whole other level than ours looking at guys like McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, MDZ (aside from Anton).

He would be our #2 or #3 at this point. Could Cowen be better in the future? Possibly, since he's 4 years younger, but right now I'd pick Stralman easily - and as a 27 year old he's just coming into his prime years. He's also the only defenceman on the team with a positive +/- rating.

Take it for what it is, which is an opinion. :)

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
It also wasn't that long ago that a young D-man named Chara was looking like a bust on the Island before a certain coach got ahold of him and taught him to play like a beast. Sometimes it takes time and sometimes it takes having a good D coach. Cowen looks like he needs a Jacques Martin type D coach to help guide him more than anything.

It's too early to give up on Cowen. Not saying he will be the next Chara but you also don't want to give up on him so early only for him to become a great D-man down the road for another team. The same people calling for Cowen's head would bash Murray for giving up on him too soon if that happened.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Can this be in the next GDT?

:sarcasm:

jdM7pkJ.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad