Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs Senators. 7.30 pm ET

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Good to see Cowen being scratched. I doubt he'll be sitting out for long though. Hope it lights a fire under his arse and he'll come back like a player possessed.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Anderson starts again on a back to back after giving up 4 goals last night on 33 shots (.879 save percentage)

What is MacLean thinking.

I don't really understand why Andy is starting again in a back-to-back situation... or why Wiercioch needs to come out. Oh well.

Andy will start theyve got to get him going. plus they let Lehner have the last back to back games. there seeing whos number one right now and they want it to be andy. so andy starts if he doesnt look for him to be traded by the deadline because itll mean ottawa is deciding Lehner is the startr now. as for our chances.......if we go to the net hard and win our share of the draws we can beat these guys there just as nervous as we are.......we need a good game defensive too. but if we have a compete lvl like we did in the back half of the washington game we will win this one.

im thinking my previous thought was right ^^

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Cowen is still exempt from waivers, yes? If so, a conditioning stint in Binghamton would do him well. He'd get a chance to learn how to handle the puck again.

Sure, he'd be making millions to ride buses. I don't give a damn; he needs to spend Christmas and New Years in Bingo and figure out his game.

Send Cowen and Grant down, and call up Pageau to take on Grant's PK duties, and to add an offensive element to the fourth line.

Having 7 defenseman rather than 8 means that the defense corps as a whole stays fresh.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's about time that Cowen got scratched.

So if Wiercioch and Cowen are scratched does that mean Borowiecki is in?

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Corvo
Borowiecki - Gryba?

I don't mind it. Hopefully this makes Cowen work harder and gives his head a bit of a shake...he needs to be better.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
weircoch out baffles me maybe they think theyll have a better chance wih boro in then him more edgy gritty intimidating.....

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
I do agree with your 1st statement, but your 2nd statement remains to be seen. It *could* work out. :naughty:

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever bashed the stash. I like Maclean, I like his personality, the experience he brings to the table, his calm demeanour, poise, etc. The guy is a likeable personality. But I can't rap my head around opting for the rattled anderson, over the solid play of wiercioch & lehner. Boro is good too, but he's taken too many dumb penalties IMO.
:amazed:

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont understand why goalies are played back to back on games that are back to back...

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Why the fk is Wiercoch out? What has gryba done for him to replace wiercoch

It just doesn't make sense. What more can Weircioch do to stay in the lineup. He got 3 points in 3 games and is now back to the press box. Maclean's handling of Wiercioch this year is strange.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Cowen is still exempt from waivers, yes? If so, a conditioning stint in Binghamton would do him well. He'd get a chance to learn how to handle the puck again.

Sure, he'd be making millions to ride buses. I don't give a damn; he needs to spend Christmas and New Years in Bingo and figure out his game.

Send Cowen and Grant down, and call up Pageau to take on Grant's PK duties, and to add an offensive element to the fourth line.

Having 7 defenseman rather than 8 means that the defense corps as a whole stays fresh.

That would be a heck of a test of Cowen's character. Do you think he'd revolt and ask for a trade. Grant's ok but not overly physical for a big guy and his defensive skills can be replaced. He hasn't wowed anyone lately on the pk. I also expected a bit more offensive drive from him. Had we lost last night he may have already been on the ride to Bingo. Frankly, I liked JOB better last time I looked he scored 5 goals before being relegated to the dog house. With all the talent in Bingo, you'd think the Sens could do better. Pageau's pk and faceoff wins tailed off near the end before he was sent down but maybe he's more fired up now. I haven't looked at his AHL faceoff stats. That has to be the key for a 4th line centre.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
That would be a heck of a test of Cowen's character. Do you think he'd revolt and ask for a trade. Grant's ok but not overly physical for a big guy and his defensive skills can be replaced. He hasn't wowed anyone lately on the pk. I also expected a bit more offensive drive from him. Had we lost last night he may have already been on the ride to Bingo. Frankly, I liked JOB better last time I looked he scored 5 goals before being relegated to the dog house. With all the talent in Bingo, you'd think the Sens could do better. Pageau's pk and faceoff wins tailed off near the end before he was sent down but maybe he's more fired up now. I haven't looked at his AHL faceoff stats. That has to be the key for a 4th line centre.

I respond to your comment about it being a test to Cowen's character by saying that Cowen's play has been a test to the character of the entire team. Consistently awful decision making that has tilted the play towards our end for much of his ice time.

Honestly, it would be a relief for the rest of the team to have him off the ice and finding his game down in Bingo. If Zibanejad can start the year down there, Cowen can deal with a mid-season assignment too.

And do I think he'd revolt and ask for a trade? I could only hope so. I'm not a knee jerk guy (I am in none of the trade Spezza/Phillips/Neil camps) but I do believe we ought to get rid of Cowen before he turns into a lemon of a top 10 pick.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I made a chart based on current results. I will update as we go. I believe someone said the Sens will need 90 pts to make it to the playoffs.

Division|Played|Win|Loss|OT Loss|PTS|Gams Remaining|Ratio|Projected
Metro|8|3|4|1|7|16|0.875|14
Atlantic|7|6|0|1|13|23|1.857142857|43
East|15|9|4|2|20|39
Central|3|0|2|1|1|11|0.333333333|4
Pacific|7|1|5|1|3|7|0.428571429 |3
West|10|1|7|2|4|18
Total|25|10|11|4|24|57|-| 88

Last edited:

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I made a chart based on current results. I will update as we go. I believe someone said the Sens will need 90 pts to make it to the playoffs.

Division|Played|Win|Loss|OT Loss|PTS|Gams Remaining|Ratio|Projected
Metro|8|3|4|1|7|16|0.875|14
Atlantic|7|6|0|1|13|23|1.857142857|43
East|15|9|4|2|20|39
Central|3|0|2|1|1|11|0.333333333|4
Pacific|7|1|5|1|3|7|0.428571429 |3
West|10|1|7|2|4|18
Total|25|10|11|4|24|57|-| 88

basically what that says is that we suck against 3 of the 4 divisions including our own.

Beautiful.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Gryba worries me. If he's paired with Phillips its a disaster waiting to happen.

Good to see Cowen out.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
There's so many coaches in this thread today.

When the coach won't do what's glaringly obvious should be done (start Lehner, scratch Cowen) then the peanut gallery is going to pipe up. MacLean has been extremely soft this season and it's cost him points in the standings. Even with the win last night we are still six points back of the wild card spot. We NEED to win tonight and Sunday.

We may be out of the playoffs already with the gab we need to fill. Need a 5-8 game winning streak with the teams we are following losing about the same number of games.
9th to 10th is looking more likely by the day.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Has Wiercioch been worse than Cowen defensively? Because Wiercioch has 9 pts in 18 games, which is pretty damn good. I don't get how he doesn't get into the line-up based on his offensive ability alone.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Can't believe Cowen is a healthy scratch. He's been a rock all year - very reliable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad