Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames - Shredder def. Turtles 3 - 2 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outside99*

Imagine if Kassian becomes permanent with the Sedins and Burr successfully makes the transition to 3rd line center (which if anybody can do it, its Burr). That domino effect would be a huge upgrade for this team.

4th line looking good too - when kes and booth are back, you'd have Schroeder, a much improved Wiese, an improved Volpatti, Lapierre and Malhotra.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Why so much flak for AV on the shootout? It wasn't that bad.

Burrows is easily our best shootout guy. We lead off with him. Right choice.

Edler is easily our 2nd best shootout guy. Right choice.

After that we don't even really HAVE any good shootout guys.

So we send the Spin-o-Rama kid, who traditionally eats the Flames.

Our only 40 goal scorer.

And arguably the hottest hand on the night, who ended up winning it.

Daniel is the obvious question mark because Sedins are such hilarious gaffe masters in the shootout, but these guys are incredibly talented and incredibly smart, you'd think they'd figure it out eventually.

Hindsight is 20/20, and everything. It's not like he sent out Weise and Volpatti for heavens sake.

Have you seen what Kassian can do in shootouts?!? The kid has sick hands. This is not news and AV should know this. He's easily our best bet in the SO and this should have been known for awhile.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
As I mentioned in the other thread, I thought Burrows played a really solid game considering he's never played center at this level before. Probably won't be used in this role when we're healthy but it'll be nice having that option in the future.

Didn't like Burrows game tonight at all. Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Lapierre need to give us more.

Garrison hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did in Florida. Expect him to come around sonner than later - this is not another Keith Ballard.

Kassian on the 1st line? That was the hill Y2KCanuck was willing to die on. :laugh:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Garrison hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did in Florida. Expect him to come around sonner than later - this is not another Keith Ballard.

This was a bad game but I thought he looked pretty good in the first 2 games, especially compared to how everyone else played in those games. But honestly, even on a bad night like today he looks so far ahead of what we've seen from the bad version of Ballard.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thoughts on tonight...

- Great night for the young guys. Kassian and Tanev were particularly strong, and Schroeder had a good first showing, IMO. His passing is light years better than Ebbett's, who constantly misses his mark. Schroeder was also in good position many times defensively. One area he needs to improve is his physical awareness, but that will come with time. Kassian with another beastly game, and I thought Tanev - along with Ballard - was our best defender.

- Schneider with a nice bounce back game. Big shootout, too.

- Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa in no particular order, all seemed to be fighting the puck tonight.

- Raymond was great. Not just offensively, he skated the puck out of danger multiple times in his own end. He's great at backing defenders and forecheckers alike away with his speed and giving his teammates time to move.

- Weise had a couple of glorious chances in the slot that he misfired - one wide, one high. Needs to settle down a bit, but he's been quite strong to start the year.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
w00t. Victory! (sorta).

Thoughts:

--Kassian is a freaking beast. I love him with the Sedins; he can actually cycle the puck and find them with passes! That's the thing, when he's got the puck, he can make really good plays. Sure, he ****s up now and again, but who in our lineup doesn't? Even when (if) we ever get fully healthy, I'd leave him up on the top line. Kudos to AV for caving in to the obvious and leaving that line intact for PP time later in the game.
--Even on bad days, Kassian brings an element we haven't had in a long, long time. Intimidation. Runs over Kipper...no Flame even looks at him. Regardless of whatever Hodgson develops into (and I sincerely hope it's a star, honestly) he'll never have that. And it's been sorely lacking around here since Bertuzzi did his...thing.
--Burrows looked a lot better.
--Can our D hit the net? Please?
--Lame, lame series of plays late in the 2nd to hand the Flamers enough chances to get back into the game.
--Get Wiese back on the 4th line STAT.
--Best game from Raymond in a long, long time. If Schroeder is somehow his rabbit's foot that enables him to stay upright, keep the kid around. God help me, Raymond looked like a top 6 player on a good team tonight.
--Good game by Schroeder after he got over his nerves. Actually saw him throw a hit, and wasn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. Short in height but not heart tonight. More than a couple of times, I saw he and Raymond doing good things in the Flamers' zone, then the play goes to Wiese...and dies.
--Also best game from Ballard in a long, long time.
--Tanev played great, as long as the play was defensive. Oh well, somebody has to focus on being a defenseman. Slap shot...uh, not really...
--Hamhuis and Bieksa...wake up, guys.
--Edler and Garrison were very good. Intermittently. Garrison's looking like a terrific signing.
--Give Hansen props for trying, but keep him away from PP time.
--Higgins...also game, but not much going on there.
--Volpatti okay for what he did...Malhotra's a sad case. It's just that I'll remember the player he was before the eye injury, and anything he does now just pales in comparison to the defensive beast he once was. Now, he might as well just head to the bench without crossing the red line.

1-1-1. Well, could be worse.

Next!

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
This was a bad game but I thought he looked pretty good in the first 2 games, especially compared to how everyone else played in those games.

Even in the 1st couple games I thought he bobbled the puck more than usual and didn't look as steady or composed. He was a rock in Florida - haven't seen him at that level yet.

Edler really hasn't been looking at Garrison on the point for some reason. Hopefully there's more emphasis on getting Garrison some looks. He has a better shot than Edler IMO - no windup, low, hard and accurate.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
w00t. Victory! (sorta).

Thoughts:

--Kassian is a freaking beast. I love him with the Sedins; he can actually cycle the puck and find them with passes! That's the thing, when he's got the puck, he can make really good plays. Sure, he ****s up now and again, but who in our lineup doesn't? Even when (if) we ever get fully healthy, I'd leave him up on the top line. Kudos to AV for caving in to the obvious and leaving that line intact for PP time later in the game.
--Even on bad days, Kassian brings an element we haven't had in a long, long time. Intimidation. Runs over Kipper...no Flame even looks at him. Regardless of whatever Hodgson develops into (and I sincerely hope it's a star, honestly) he'll never have that. And it's been sorely lacking around here since Bertuzzi did his...thing.
--Burrows looked a lot better.
--Can our D hit the net? Please?
--Lame, lame series of plays late in the 2nd to hand the Flamers enough chances to get back into the game.
--Get Wiese back on the 4th line STAT.
--Best game from Raymond in a long, long time. If Schroeder is somehow his rabbit's foot that enables him to stay upright, keep the kid around. God help me, Raymond looked like a top 6 player on a good team tonight.
--Good game by Schroeder after he got over his nerves. Actually saw him throw a hit, and wasn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. Short in height but not heart tonight. More than a couple of times, I saw he and Raymond doing good things in the Flamers' zone, then the play goes to Wiese...and dies.
--Also best game from Ballard in a long, long time.
--Tanev played great, as long as the play was defensive. Oh well, somebody has to focus on being a defenseman. Slap shot...uh, not really...
--Hamhuis and Bieksa...wake up, guys.
--Edler and Garrison were very good. Intermittently. Garrison's looking like a terrific signing.
--Give Hansen props for trying, but keep him away from PP time.
--Higgins...also game, but not much going on there.
--Volpatti okay for what he did...Malhotra's a sad case. It's just that I'll remember the player he was before the eye injury, and anything he does now just pales in comparison to the defensive beast he once was. Now, he might as well just head to the bench without crossing the red line.

1-1-1. Well, could be worse.

Next!

Halfway through the game now and from what i have seen Kassian was that line.

It good to see the potential he has. He can own a line. Easily.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Female on a hockey board
owns Kassian jersey
has her own hair.

autowin.

Don't get too excited. Seems to good to be true.

We don't want to see HF posters getting Catfished, ala Manti Te'o.

craigcaulks*

Even in the 1st couple games I thought he bobbled the puck more than usual and didn't look as steady or composed. He was a rock in Florida - haven't seen him at that level yet.

Edler really hasn't been looking at Garrison on the point for some reason. Hopefully there's more emphasis on getting Garrison some looks. He has a better shot than Edler IMO - no windup, low, hard and accurate.

Garrison was on 1040 a couple of days ago and he mentioned the big difference in style of play. Like most moron hockey players he couldn't put it into words, but clearly the game is different. He has size, he can move and he can think. No worries here.

Last edited by a moderator:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Imagine if Kassian becomes permanent with the Sedins and Burr successfully makes the transition to 3rd line center (which if anybody can do it, its Burr). That domino effect would be a huge upgrade for this team.

4th line looking good too - when kes and booth are back, you'd have Schroeder, a much improved Wiese, an improved Volpatti, Lapierre and Malhotra.

I'm not entirely sure Burrows would stay a center once Booth and Kes get back.

I would like to see him move the second line with those two. He and Kes have lots of experience together and he could get back to playing his natural position. Leave Schroeder to centre Raymond and whoever else(Hansen/Weise) than you can still have a fourth line with Higgins+lappy and whoever

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Forgot to comment on Schroeder's physicality/compete level. That was a very pleasant surprise.

For all of Tanev's smoothness defensively and calm plays with the puck, he can't seem to generate offense to save his life. :laugh: Regardless, he's a really steady guy back there.

I know Volpatti got some flak for being kept around, but I think he's been contributing decently over the first three games. Hits everything, doesn't handle the puck like its a grenade, and doesn't get caught too badly out of position.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Halfway through the game now and from what i have seen Kassian was that line.

It good to see the potential he has. He can own a line. Easily.

His goal was all his. The Sedins really fell off in the latter part of the game, imho. Kassian was dominant all on his own.

Which rules in a big, big way. :D

------------------------------------------------

*edit* Can people not ***** and moan about Booth in a thread about a game he didn't even play in for things that have nothing to do with hockey? Thanks.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Agree, good summary. Was slightly less happy with Edler - thought he made a couple of jumpy plays in the second half - would rate a 'good' for sure though. Was slightly more happy with Garrison - wasn't awful, just average IMO.

Sedins were interesting, maybe it's because I expect a lot from them, but I was wholly unimpressed with their second half. As you mention, they seem to be having serious difficulty getting the puck out of the d zone and into the o-zone.

Was not impressed with the whiffs and wobbles from Edler in the latter part of the game, you can obviously see the lack of conditioning from such a long break and coming back from surgery has not been kind to Eddie's performance. The short season for him may be an up and down one.
Same can be said for Garrison, but his was more decision making with the puck, he looks to be thinking a little too much, and should be worrying about playing it safe and smart right now till he finds confidence playing beside Eddie.
I'll give these guys a pass for now, but if they continue to make such plays I'd look to break up this pairing for a bit and try Biek with Garrison, Biek seems to need a bash brother, he has been a little soft. Putting someone like Garrison who isn't the most physical guy, but was rarely out muscled may benefit both. Biek likes to join the rush too, where Garrison is more of a defensive guy (or at least needs to remember this).

Tanev and Ballard were shaky in the Anaheim game, but I liked how those two read off each other and can D to D the puck so well. If one of them can ever find the net with their Willie Mithell-esque shooting style, maybe we can get some production outta that pair.

Hammer was rusty, but seemed to be like Garrison, thinking too much while trying to do a little too much. He needs to tighten it up and go back to his Aaron Rome style safe Dman.

It'll come for the D core, we had a couple guys recovering from surgery or minor injuries which probably hampered each when it comes to staying in shape.
Other than the rookies and Raymond, everyone is still just rounding into game shape.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I agree ideally if kassian can stay with the sedins, higgins burrows hansen would be a great 3rd line.

My concern is with the 2nd raymond kesler booth will just never have enough chemistry.

I still dont know what happens with the 2nd line.

Pseudonymous*

Forgot to comment on Schroeder's physicality/compete level. That was a very pleasant surprise.

For all of Tanev's smoothness defensively and calm plays with the puck, he can't seem to generate offense to save his life. :laugh: Regardless, he's a really steady guy back there.

I know Volpatti got some flak for being kept around, but I think he's been contributing decently over the first three games. Hits everything, doesn't handle the puck like its a grenade, and doesn't get caught too badly out of position.

do you think a guy who is completely incapable of generating offense can be a top 4 guy (on a top team in the league). or do you think he will eventually become a player who can to where hes good enough to be in the top 4... because not long ago, a big debate occurred where most people said he was a shoe in for a top 4 eventually

now its 2013, i wonder if people are going to keep being confident about it

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I think you absolutely have to come back with Schneider against the Ducks. He was solid (not spectacular) tonight, and deserves a chance to redeem himself.

It doesn't make any sense to keep alternating him with Luongo. He played well tonight, let him build off that momentum.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
do you think a guy who is completely incapable of generating offense can be a top 4 guy (on a top team in the league). or do you think he will eventually become a player who can to where hes good enough to be in the top 4... because not long ago, a big debate occurred where most people said he was a shoe in for a top 4 eventually

now its 2013, i wonder if people are going to keep being confident about it

His defensive game is/can be good enough for it. Pair him with an offensive guy to compensate. I would wager his offensive game will improve, but it won't reach the lofty heights of guys like Edler or Bieksa.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I'd also like to see Kassian get an extended look on the first unit PP, at least until Kesler comes back.

PK units will have to pay close attention to him in front of the net or along the end boards. You could see how much more room the Sedins had to operate off the half boards tonight because of his presence.

If AV goes back with Hansen next game on the PP, I will lose my mind.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Interesting and exciting finish, but not exactly what we want vs Calgary. Never critique a win though :D

Kassian- Bossly (obviously)
Raymond and Schroeder- So exciting and deserved assists on Weise's chance that he flubbed.
Ballard/Tanev- played very well imo
Sedins- dominant in stretches, want a better PP though
Schneider- came clutch when necessary and got new by two very good shots, money in the shootout
Liked Hansen/Burrows/Higgins line, but found Higgins invisible offensively which was highlighted by the fact that burrows and Hansen both created a lot of chances. Burrows' best game so far!

Outside99*

I'm not entirely sure Burrows would stay a center once Booth and Kes get back.

I would like to see him move the second line with those two. He and Kes have lots of experience together and he could get back to playing his natural position. Leave Schroeder to centre Raymond and whoever else(Hansen/Weise) than you can still have a fourth line with Higgins+lappy and whoever

they used to have chemistry but at even strength, they're too similar IMO. assuming Schroeder can take over the 3rd line permanently and in the playoffs is probably asking too much but possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad