Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames - Shredder def. Turtles 3 - 2 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieCrumbs*

I'm hoping he doesn't wait for the off season. We dump Malhotra's salary and we got far more flexibility in the Luongo trade or in bringing up people from the minors.

I'm saying that Andrew Gordon is a much better player. Gordon would totally outplay Malhotra in every category and brings grit and heavy body checking. Indeed Gordon is probably better than Volpatti.

The fact that the horrible Malhotra clings to a job over someone like Gordon is as much of a joke as Ebbett playing ahead of Schroeder.

If they don't do something with the Malhothra situation then this organization is short changing the fans. Malhotra should be on the waiver list by tomorrow morning.

I know the team has stressed the loyalty factor but in this case it is being carried to ridiculous extremes. Make Malhotra a playing coach with the Wolves with the clear indication that a nice job awaits him in the future with the team. But also call a spade a spade do do what is right for the team.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Gordon is BARELY 6 foot and BARELY 190 pounds. Grit and heavy body checking? Are you thinking of the same Andrew Gordon?

Outside99*

The biggest problem with hanging on to marginal players is that it blocks your upside as a 23 man roster - the prospects never get a chance so you have no possibility of getting an unexpected upgrade - the analogy is if you don't shoot, you can't score. The upside comes from the youth and the bottom of the roster (eg. Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder - early days) and when they're good, it has a domino effect on the rest of the lineup. Like tonight, Kassian, moves up to play with the Sedins and all of a sudden the 3rd line gets an upgrade.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
This was the gillis quote in the extended interview.

“It’s difficult when you have a good team to turn over a lot of players. Ideally, next year, I think we’ll have more turnover, because the cap changes and we have some younger players we feel will be ready to make the step.

“So we won’t have to sign the older, kind of journeyman player.

“Our hope now, as some of these younger guys step into our lineup, is that we start to get younger over the next couple of years, and we’ll retain our core guys that they’ll learn from, and it seems to be the kind of process that allows you to stay pretty good over a long period of time.â€

$3.9M cap room

UFA's 2013-2014 / Age
Malhotra / 32
Alberts / 31
Ebbett / 30
Higgins / 29
Raymond / 27
Lapierre / 27
Volpatti / 27
Barker / 26

RFA's 2013-2014
Schroeder
Weise
Tanev

I could see MG letting Malhotra and Ebbett walk, they seem to fit the 'older journeyman' description. Possibly Higgins too. Clearly they will have to move salary out, especially if a Luongo trade doesn't happen by next season. I also doubt that he would want to bargain from a disadvantage of needing to move salary out and everyone knowing it.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
One thing I hope fellow canucks fans keep in mind regarding us playing the flames is they are getting cervenka and hudler this weekend.

Thats a pretty decent boost, we are also down kesler and booth, but cervanka looks like a damn good goal scorer, will be interesting to see if he can make the jump to the nhl.

Last edited:

Crows*

Kassian is getting an up close and personsl view of learning how to be a pro and consistant playing with the twins.

Pseudonymous*

$3.9M cap room

UFA's 2013-2014 / Age
Malhotra / 32
Alberts / 31
Ebbett / 30
Higgins / 29
Raymond / 27
Lapierre / 27
Volpatti / 27
Barker / 26

RFA's 2013-2014
Schroeder
Weise
Tanev

I could see MG letting Malhotra and Ebbett walk, they seem to fit the 'older journeyman' description. Possibly Higgins too. Clearly they will have to move salary out, especially if a Luongo trade doesn't happen by next season. I also doubt that he would want to bargain from a disadvantage of needing to move salary out and everyone knowing it.

if we lose higgins (or anything valuable - lapierre?) while ballard is still on this team, i will lose my mind

hes taking so much capspace up to be a 6th d man who plays a side where we're stocked up on (LD)

3.8+luongo trade+ballard trade

we're set. doing anything different than that would be dumb

i could understand losing higgins or lapierre if we were replacing them with someone better but keeping them while maintaining excess fat elsewhere. itll seriously drive me insane

i dont care if we get equal value on the trade for ballard, you dont need to win them all, you win with the capspace you save. you can still get a 2nd for him atleast

Last edited by a moderator:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Gordon is BARELY 6 foot and BARELY 190 pounds. Grit and heavy body checking? Are you thinking of the same Andrew Gordon?

Did you go the games in Abbotsford????? Gordon was leveling people.

Have you watched the Wolves this season??? Gordon has gone hard to the body all year.

When is the last time you saw him play????

I am going off what I am watching on almost a game to game basis not some stats sheet. He is playing tough physical hockey and with Sterling has been far and away the best player on the Wolves for the past month. And I would say he was better than Schroeder during that time

This past off season he made a commitment to getting more strength. He has always been a feisty player and this year seems to have the ability to go hard to the body.

Before some serious injuries that Gordon was a serious prospect. Washington had him pegged for their checking line and only injuries seem to have prevented him from making it. Now that he is injury free he might well be a consideration once again.

You seem to think it is ridiculous to suggest Gordon could be prospect for the Canucks. What do you base that on??

Also even if Gordon is not some overall solution to improving the 4th line I believe he is absolutely better than Malhotra and based on his play should deserve a chance.

The difference in salary alone and the potential for the Canucks to use that salary space should at least be a considedration.

Anyhow I be interested in knowing on what you base your views on

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The biggest problem with hanging on to marginal players is that it blocks your upside as a 23 man roster - the prospects never get a chance so you have no possibility of getting an unexpected upgrade - the analogy is if you don't shoot, you can't score. The upside comes from the youth and the bottom of the roster (eg. Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder - early days) and when they're good, it has a domino effect on the rest of the lineup. Like tonight, Kassian, moves up to play with the Sedins and all of a sudden the 3rd line gets an upgrade.

Good points.

Then next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Kesler-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Raymond
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Deadly.

If that came to be, then holy...! :amazed:

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Also, AV needs to be imaginative and flexible enough to adjust the system to use the talent he has. That may mean varying at times from the locked own, fixed systems AV likes to use. His inability to adjust has been apparent in the playoffs and you wonder now if he will be able to adjust to the players he must now go with. Schroeder has talent and if used in the right way he could be helpful to this team.
Considering that Schroeder logged nearly 15 minutes of icetime in his debut and wasn't benched late in the third or overtime in a tie game, I think it's safe to say that AV really likes his play, especially in his own end. AV game Schroeder much more rope than he ever gave Hodgson, but considering how Schroeder plays D much better, it makes sense.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
tumblr_mh4b0pYVuE1rk31f9o1_400.gif

Dirtyyyy.

Auger

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
I like burrows but seriously the love affair fans have with him sometimes.

I agree with you. Our team will look way better with Kassian on the top line, and Burrows playing with Kes. Get Booth off the 2nd line and hopefully replace him with someone who can make a pass and we're all good.

brandon4679

May 13, 2011
thought the sedins had some good moments a little suprised to see AV call them out kass was a monster burrows looked good at center i still think higgins lappy and hansen can be better defence had some blunders not as many though ballard looks solid tanev best dman tonight well ballard tanev best pair i thought and Schneider stood tall can't wait for kes and booth to get back gonna be one sick lineup also hope kassian sticks with the twins

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I agree with you. Our team will look way better with Kassian on the top line, and Burrows playing with Kes. Get Booth off the 2nd line and hopefully replace him with someone who can make a pass and we're all good.
Im not saying Kaddian would look better per se.

I just find it irritating that Burrows:

A) can do no wrong
B) is somehow the only fit for the sedins, has some sort of god given right to that positon.

I totally get that hes a very good player. I totally get that he was unbelievable value for his contract.

Personally i think burrows will be a better fit for the second line over kassian. I think kassians game style is not a great fit with 2 off the rush players. But we wont know until its tried.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Im not saying Kaddian would look better per se.

I just find it irritating that Burrows:

A) can do no wrong
B) is somehow the only fit for the sedins, has some sort of god given right to that positon.

I totally get that hes a very good player. I totally get that he was unbelievable value for his contract.

Personally i think burrows will be a better fit for the second line over kassian. I think kassians game style is not a great fit with 2 off the rush players. But we wont know until its tried.

Kassian isn't exactly an ideal fit on the top line either. While it gains better ability to cycle, it loses something in the way of puck pursuit.

I like Burrows more on the top line than I do Kassian, but I also understand that Kassian is now a viable option there should Burrows be struggling there.

The fit with the 2 rush players is an interesting take. He seems to like to make plays, which we know Booth and Kesler don't do well. As a result, for Kassian to succeed on the second line, he must adopt the role of the pure distributor. Something akin to what Voracek could do here if brought in. Remains to be seen if he can make such an adjustment.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Besides, it is far better to have a physical presence on the ice with the Sedins, come playoffs.

Crows*

Having two great options to play with the twins that give two totally different styles is nothing but a bonus for this team,especially come playoff time.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This is probably the first positive post i made about raymond in 2 years, but did anyone else think he really worked on his wrist shot during the time off? Its to early yet to start singing his praise but...

That goal on kipper was the same one against lou in scrimmage, it was one hell of a wrist shot, and instead of typically fluttering high and wide, its hitting corners.

If he can keep that up, thats a big boost we need in our top 6, someone who can pick a corner.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
This is probably the first positive post i made about raymond in 2 years, but did anyone else think he really worked on his wrist shot during the time off? Its to early yet to start singing his praise but...

That goal on kipper was the same one against lou in scrimmage, it was one hell of a wrist shot, and instead of typically fluttering high and wide, its hitting corners.

If he can keep that up, thats a big boost we need in our top 6, someone who can pick a corner.

He certainly looked more effective, but he needs to drive the net.. Still a perimeter player.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He certainly looked more effective, but he needs to drive the net.. Still a perimeter player.

Well if hes playing with booth Im sure he will take care of that.

If raymonds shot is that good and its not just a fluke i would tell him to just get in the slot and shoot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Yes, his shot seems better. Offseason workout time on his back will help there.

Other than his goal, look what a sniper can do with a natural playmaker? Schroeder is bringing out the best in Raymond's game. Something Kesler has not done since Raymond's breakout year.

Forget top 6, a top 9 where Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian are a set line can be a positive thing 5 on 5. Which only helps the remaining Kesler/Booth/Higgins/Hansen mix divvy up the remaining offense between them...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well our top 4 is bieksa/garrison/hamhuis/edler

So if you say lofty heights of bieksa who i consider 4th best if garrison turns out as i expect, then how is he top 4? top 4's on good teams generally are real good no?

or do you just mean he could be a top 4 d on a lousy team where hes playing above his means

Remember i said a top team.
if AV sent him out with Hamhuis in a pure shut down role would you consider them the 3rd pairing?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Giving the Malhotra situation a second thought, I realize my suggestion of waiving him and using his cap space is off base. He's got a one way contract and my understanding is that it counts regardless. Best hope, I guess, is to get him on IR.

However, given the studious way he avoids all contact, this would seem unlikely.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Putting someone like Garrison who isn't the most physical guy, but was rarely out muscled may benefit both. Biek likes to join the rush too, where Garrison is more of a defensive guy .

Actually I've been noticing that Garrison likes to jump up into the play more than I thought he would, considering all the "defensive defenseman" talk I heard about him in Florida.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yeah that doesn't tell you a whole lot about what they may do with manny though, considering they sort of considered him part of the core. and definitely used him to mentor young players

I love him as a player (pre injury), so its tough to swallow but has to be done

I know manny is a leader, but i never considered him part of the core anymore playing on the 4th all last season, great leadership, but when he said core i thought kesler, burrows, sedins, bieksa.

I also have no idea how we keep manny around unless hes willing to take a million less to stay here at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad