Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames in Victoria (3 - 4 CGY) / Canucks @ Flames (3 - 2 VAN in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully that Calgary game isn't a complete drubbing

Usually these types of games aren't because the stars on the home team are on cruise control and barely trying while the kids on the road team are absolutely busting their asses to make an impression.

However, when you set up a roster like this you also usually put a good goalie behind the team of kids as protection so they don't get embarrassed. That Bachman-Kielly tandem is horrific. Bachman looked awful in the AHL last year even before ripping his Achilles.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hopefully that Calgary game isn't a complete drubbing

That Calgary game lineup reads as the list of forwards looking to stick in the NHL (for the most part). Having them battle it out against each other in the same game.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
How many NHL regulars do you think they'll give Victoria? Like 5-6?

Teams are required to dress 8 "veteran" players for each pre-season game. To qualify as a veteran, skater's have to have played at least 30 NHL games the previous season, have 100 or more career NHL games, a be drafted in the first round of the most recent NHL draft. Goalies have to have dressed for at least 50 games in the previous year or played in 30.

Canucks have exactly 24 players in camp who fall into the "veteran" category. I expect they will be split evenly between tonight's split squad game and tomorrow's game. The only player in the Canucks' camp who wasn't an NHL regular last year who falls into the "veteran" categor is Reid Boucher.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Usually these types of games aren't because the stars on the home team are on cruise control and barely trying while the kids on the road team are absolutely busting their asses to make an impression.

However, when you set up a roster like this you also usually put a good goalie behind the team of kids as protection so they don't get embarrassed. That Bachman-Kielly tandem is horrific. Bachman looked awful in the AHL last year even before ripping his Achilles.

I was going to say something about this in the training camp thread but since I'm one of the more "negative" (aka psychic) posters here, I decided not to. However, I think the training camp scheduling is utterly stupid this year.

We don't have the Young Stars Tournament and then we go right into a split series against NHL caliber rosters with our coaching staff in multiple places? This seems like a bad way to get young players going while they struggle for attention and momentum. Also, this is going to make evaluating talent more difficult. This seems as hap-hazard, ass backwards and excellently planned as everything in the Benning Administration.

I realize all the work is done in the practice and scrimmage sessions but the scheduling of camp is noticeably different this year and I think to the negative.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I was going to say something about this in the training camp thread but since I'm one of the more "negative" (aka psychic) posters here, I decided not to. However, I think the training camp scheduling is utterly stupid this year.

We don't have the Young Stars Tournament and then we go right into a split series against NHL caliber rosters with our coaching staff in multiple places? This seems like a bad way to get young players going while they struggle for attention and momentum. Also, this is going to make evaluating talent more difficult. This seems as hap-hazard, ass backwards and excellently planned as everything in the Benning Administration.

I realize all the work is done in the practice and scrimmage sessions but the scheduling of camp is noticeably different this year and I think to the negative.

Man you're TOXIC! ;)

I had the same thoughts as MS though when I saw the laughable goaltending for the game.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
^ The way split squads traditionally are iced is you send your weak team on the road, and ice your stars at home for your fans...
That's even the general way the rest of pre-season gms are iced as well...

Cgy hasn't released who is playing at home yet... in that tweet it just has everyone listed... its not a 18 man playing roster.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Man you're TOXIC! ;)

I had the same thoughts as MS though when I saw the laughable goaltending for the game.

I sincerely don't wish to be this negative. I was a huge fan of the Burke Administration and one of the biggest Gillis Administration fans. But my God, is the Benning Admistration just terrible. Virtually every decision they make is dumb and lazy.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Thank god it wasn't the Victoria lineup. Dreams of seeing Petey are going to come true tonight!
NHLers not in Cgy... so potential for the lineup in Victoria:

Pettersson, Horvat, Goldobin, Miller, Ferland, Sutter, Leivo, Pearson, Eriksson
Hughes, Edler, Myers, Benn
Markstrom, Demko

Reactions: Chaflie

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'll never understand the point of even playing veteran regulars in these early preseason games. Calgary dressing their top 6 forwards and top 4 defenseman in a game like this is utterly worthless.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I hate rosters like this. Like, what is the point? What can you possibly learn from the game?

No veterans playing their actual roles, no prospects (except maybe Sautner) put in positions to succeed. But we're going to get a look at how a 31 y/o on an AHL deal looks as a #1 center!
because it's the playoffs preseason.™

751169431_640.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At least MacEwen will be playing with probable Utica linemates.

He should be playing with NHLers. He's literally the only forward prospect with any chance whatsoever of making the team, so he should be played in realistic situations with realistic linemates to see what we have.

Like, I get that you play Pettersson in a home game and give your big UFA acquisition in Myers his preseason debut in a home game. But otherwise, split the teams up evenly so you can create lineups where everything you're doing has a point, and players are put in realistic situations and positions to succeed.

And this isn't just us - every team does this. And it's stupid.

How is playing Woo with Eliot helping either guy?

Reactions: FacepalmBenning
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad