Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames in Victoria (3 - 4 CGY) / Canucks @ Flames (3 - 2 VAN in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say?

The team didn’t play well and were generally dominated by a worse-on-paper Calgary team, and few players put their hand up in any meaningful way. Especially guys who had to play well like Gaudette and Goldobin if they want to make the team.

Of course it’s one very early game and everything I’m saying is taking that into account. But in a slow-paced game, it’s disappointing when no young players can put a stamp on it ... as guys like Dube and Phillips for Calgary did.

Apparently there were some better performances in the other game but I can’t find a taped stream so I can’t comment.

I hear you. I dont agree Goldy was terrible. I think he has to bury chances like last year, but i thought his positioning and compete level was a little better. He moved the puck decently.

Reactions: mossey3535

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Happens after every draft. People are so enamoured with the prospects because of highlights they see and hype they get from some analyst and the draft is always considered a success before the prospects hit NHL ice.

The Canucks have no quality prospect. No D prospects and the later round picks are not panning out.
How?? Juolevi, Woo and Brisebois are all solid defensive prospects. Tryamkin hopefully comes back as well. Teves and Rafferty are solid AHL players that can be okay call ups. It’s still early to evaluate later round picks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hear you. I dont agree Goldy was terrible. I think he has to bury chances like last year, but i thought his positioning and compete level was a little better. He moved the puck decently.

Everything is relative to expectations. Obviously if Focht had played the exact game that Goldobin did, I'd be raving about it.

But Goldobin has the most riding on these games. He was probably the most purely skilled player in this game, playing against a very bad roster. And he was given the best linemates of anyone in the game. When that's the framework 'moving the puck decently' and 'a little better compete level' isn't good enough and it was a very disappointing performance from him.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The thing that's weird to me on Jasek is that there were some pretty hot takes this summer from people who had apparently seen him play in Utica, and they were just gross exaggerations of his ability.

I have no idea how anyone can watch this player consistently and take 'great skater' out of it. Or 'high-energy buzzsaw'.

I remember being really excited about him coming off his first several games in Utica spring before last, but he fell flat on his face last season big time. If he had continued that pace and performance over 40-50 games he would have finished the year in the NHL

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Everything is relative to expectations. Obviously if Focht had played the exact game that Goldobin did, I'd be raving about it.

But Goldobin has the most riding on these games. He was probably the most purely skilled player in this game, playing against a very bad roster. And he was given the best linemates of anyone in the game. When that's the framework 'moving the puck decently' and 'a little better compete level' isn't good enough and it was a very disappointing performance from him.

Yeah but like it or not the thing that Green values most is his defensive play. I think he showed improved positioning in this game and was the first guy back on several backchecks. Honestly if he keeps it up that will probably getting him a roster spot ahead of his offensive showing. I don't agree with it, but that's what it is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Happens after every draft. People are so enamoured with the prospects because of highlights they see and hype they get from some analyst and the draft is always considered a success before the prospects hit NHL ice.

The Canucks have no quality prospect. No D prospects and the later round picks are not panning out.
Yes, after the first round 'it' happens in every draft.

Judging from the comments of posters who watched both games, Keppen and Focht as late round flyers have been better than second-rounders Lind and Gadjovich. And that might well be the way it grades out over time as well. With the draft you just never know.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
How?? Juolevi, Woo and Brisebois are all solid defensive prospects. Tryamkin hopefully comes back as well. Teves and Rafferty are solid AHL players that can be okay call ups. It’s still early to evaluate later round picks.
Remember when people thought Dahlen and Gaudette were solid prospects last year? This post kind of reminds me of that. Fans are always way too in love with their prospects.

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
MS I know it wasnt a great game but it is also the very first pre season game after a long summer for the players who might be shaking off some rust, and players were mostly thrown together. Do you think you are being a tad critical at this stage?
nvmd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad