Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames in Victoria (3 - 4 CGY) / Canucks @ Flames (3 - 2 VAN in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 20, 2013
I was really impressed with Focht.

He showed decent wheels and made a couple nice plays getting the puck settled and making a pass while under pressure in the neutral zone.
I mean my expectations going in were that he would be terrible, so he didn't have much to live up to. He didn't play many minutes, but it was a decent showing for a guy who was just drafted and didn't put up a ppg in the whl. My one game take away is that he might be a legitimate prospect. More than I expected given his draft position.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i just posted my take. i do not think you could fairly draw the inferences you did about several of the prospects based on what you saw. it was a flat preseason game with a hodge podge roster where some guys were overwhelmed or lost or didn't have their feet under them.

jasek is a good example. i actually thought he looked perfectly ok but just did not distinguish himself sort of like brisebois but not as ready. he's clearly not pressing for a big team spot, but for a 22 year old 6th rounder starting his second full ahl season that does not surprise me.

some guys will come into a camp and make noise, but many prospects will round into form as a season progresses. there's very few guys on the roster i'd write off as you seem to be willing to do after one split squad glorified scrimmage 4 days into camp.

I’ve watched Jasek play 40 games or in the past two years. He’s 22 and if he’s going to be something he has to do it now, and several articles over the summer were hyping him as a speedy forechecking buzzsaw who was a good prospect, and he just isn’t any of that. He’s a useful guy to make up numbers in Utica and that’s it.

If players play well in future games (and it sounds like there were more positive storylines in the other game) I’ll be positive about it.

In this game, there were few positives. And some substantial negatives, especially the play of Goldobin and Gaudette ... and I’ve been a big supporter of Gaudette.

The only guy I wrote off is Gadjovich whose skating is just horrific and couldn’t come close to keeping up with this very slow game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I’ve watched Jasek play 40 games or in the past two years. He’s 22 and if he’s going to be something he has to do it now, and several articles over the summer were hyping him as a speedy forechecking buzzsaw who was a good prospect, and he just isn’t any of that. He’s a useful guy to make up numbers in Utica and that’s it.

If players play well in future games (and it sounds like there were more positive storylines in the other game) I’ll be positive about it.

In this game, there were few positives. And some substantial negatives, especially the play of Goldobin and Gaudette ... and I’ve been a big supporter of Gaudette.

The only guy I wrote off is Gadjovich whose skating is just horrific and couldn’t come close to keeping up with this very slow game.

jasek was a 21 year old ahl rookie last year living in a small us city on a small salary trying to adjust from living his previous life in a small town in the czech republic, and trying to wrap his head around all the differences between north american hockey and czech hockey.

in that context, the fact he had a subdued season last year and has failed to press for a roster spot 4 days into his second nhl camp does not alarm me as it does you. he's a decent prospect with a good all round skill set, and i look forward to watching him find his feet this year.

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I was flipping between games online during stoppages so I don't think I got everything.

The Calgary game started out looking like all hope was lost. We were out worked and out played throughout the first half. Virtanen won us the game but he was only playing with any intensity for about 5 minutes at the end. D was awful but Bachman didn't look awful on the whole (Calgary's play by play and colour guys thought he was shaky to start but I don't feel he was bad at all). I did not expect a win and there weren't any real standouts that I'd name. Woo looked alright but didn't have much in the way of game stopping hits or plays. Stecher and MacEwen and Baertschi were underwhelming but will probably get a closer look. Graovac tried his best to spark the team early but it didn't work. It wasn't a good game so I focused more on the game in Victoria.

Benn wasn't great but was a little more physical then other D.

Rafferty needs a better defensive minded partner than Teves but looked good with the puck. Teves as well would probably look better with someone more compatible with his skill set.

Tanev looked alright but twice had me holding my breath as he blocked shots.

Brisebois looked pretty meh but good for my expectations. 5 shots on net led the team though...so neat. Chatfield didn't look good though.

Goldy had some chances but couldn't find the back of the net (sounds familiar). Horvat and Miller looked very good together though.

Gaudette didn't make a strong case to dethrone Sutter. Leivo and Eriksson (a lot of emphasis on the latter) were equally unimpressive. Leivo did have the odd play but I think that line is not one we should hope to see together in the regular season.

Lind looked better then I expected but was also a non-factor. Gadjovich came in below my expectations. Boucher and Focht and Bailey and Jasek were nearly invisible to my eye.

DiPietro should have had two of the goals but I will chalk the score up to what's his name nailing us every preseason. McIntyre wasn't bad either. The D should have been better than the other game but somehow weren't.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Was at the game in Victoria and a lot of players did a lot more to get themselves cut than advance their chances. Lots of very poor coverage in their end and little effective o-zone time. Canucks were dominated at both blue lines. Couldn't gain the o-zone much and backed in on everything. Goalies had to be good to prevent a huge rout. The way many of these players performed left severe doubts that Utica will be any good. Having watched Utica last year saw the play of many of the farmhands was simply an extension of last year's play. Did leave the game early (with just over 3 minutes to go) so comments reflect what I saw up to that point.

Individuals

Miller - could see the pro savvy in the way he screened players and moved the puck. Made some nice passes and showed a decent turn of speed. Him and Horvat looked for each other a little too much and forced play at times.. Looks like he will help the team

Tanev - best defenseman by a mile. However, ended up trying to carry the load too much and got forced into mistakes in the late going. Someone needed to try to do something to produce some offense but this isn't Tanev's role

Benn plays a heavy game - did ok but obviously needed to play with stronger partners.

Horvat - played a hard on some shifts but mostly just getting game time.

Just send to Utica and stop wasting time type players

Lind - gave a good effort but never accomplished much. Still too weak on the puck and couldn't beat anyone one on one. Showed very poor point coverage many times.

Gadjovich - could rarely effectively get into the play. Game was too fast for him and, outside of few successful puck battle in the corner, he was left scrambling to stay even close to the play.. Might well not be good enough for Utica

Bailey - guy is big, guy can skate, guy can shoot - just too bad he can't play high level hockey. Total passenger much of the game and you really had to look to find him.

Boucher - very poor game. Made one rush out of the corner and made a good set up to Brisebois. But mostly out on the fringes. Very shoddy defensive effort in his end

Rafferty - terrible start to the game and overall not good enough. Did improve in the second and third but, like others, poor at his blueline. Might be something to work with here but no where close to NHL ready.

Chatfield - can't fault effort but real prone to huge gaffes. Tentative when he should be aggressive and aggressive when he needs to show caution. Chases play in his end and often out of position

Brisebois - might have been the most disappointing . Weak around his net and couldn't make a pass all game. Skating doesn't appear adequate.

Teves - looks to me like a waste of a contract slot. Doubt he makes Utica. Goal he got may well be highlight of his career.

Jasek - neither fast or strong enough to penetrate offensively and terrible coverage problems in his end.

Others

Levio - sporadic effort and couldn't do much with chances he had. Shows a good stick at times but got caught flat-footed too much.

Goldobin - saw little improvement over last season. He must be an offensive force and bury his chances but so far can't do that at the NHL level and didn't tonight

Gaudette -another disappointing player. Work ethic definitely there but so little high level skill. At times got pressure on the puck but couldn't really take people off the puck. With the puck, he lacked the hands to move puck well or stick handle in any kind of traffic. Another who does not look NHL ready. So it's probably hello Sutter on the 3rd line.

Overall the score line does not reflect the game which was very one-sided in Calgary's favour.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
jasek was a 21 year old ahl rookie last year living in a small us city on a small salary trying to adjust from living his previous life in a small town in the czech republic, and trying to wrap his head around all the differences between north american hockey and czech hockey.

in that context, the fact he had a subdued season last year and has failed to press for a roster spot 4 days into his second nhl camp does not alarm me as it does you. he's a decent prospect with a good all round skill set, and i look forward to watching him find his feet this year.

He’s an old prospect who is small, an average skater, and who generally blends into the scenery. There is nothing about him that projects moving up levels, but he is a useful system guy in Utica who will probably score 30-40 points from their middle-6 next year. Which is fine - you need those guys even if they never play an NHL shift.

Where I was caught off guard were 2-3 articles this summer hyping this guy as a top underrated prospect and praising his speed and buzzsaw motor and forechecking. And having watched him play a ton last year my reaction was ‘huh?!?’ and it actually made me question a bit whether I was missing something.

And watching him play today (and he was a guy I was trying to watch closely), I saw exactly the same player I saw last year. And in a slooooooow paced game, there wasn’t a single point where he injected any speed or pace into it. Was he terrible? No - he’s a decently smart positional player and he didn’t embarrass himself and was far better than a guy like Gadjovich. But there’s just nothing there that pops or projects.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just finished watching the Victoria gm... disclaimer.. did not watch the first.

Chatfield- gross. Gm to forget. Decision making (IQ) just not looking like it’s there. But hey... gm 1 after an injury filled yr after impressing 12 months ago... let’s see.

Gadovich (sp, I know) - nope
Lind - looked a lot better than last yr when I thought he had zero chance. Still believe he’s a longs shot... but we saw progression... so let’s see in another yr.

Teves and Rafferty... I really liked em! Will be solid for Utica... Rafferty got work- looked like he got a tonne of ice... both were pretty aggressive offensively and looking to move it up the ice. Rafferty stood out in the 2 nd while we were seemingly pinned for 20 mins as a team.. Teves stood out in the 3rd as he ramped up up his aggressiveness on the puck... and then what a beauty goal.

Brisebois- you could just tell he was looking to wheel... some very good decisions... broken up with some poor execution... passing needs work... decisions on when to carry and skate or dish were solid... skating very well.. but execution of some his passes... gm 1 type stuff hopefully.

Gaudette - well... not bumping Sutter anytime soon.

Miller - gonna be a fun season.
Godly- was Very impressed with his positioning and decision making at even strength. The kid played on the right side of the puck tonight... RARELY could you say that for his shifts last yr... he flashed offensively, and didn’t sustain an offensive push.. but I don’t know about anyone else’s, but I saw this gm as great sign of a step forward.

What else... Benn.. on pre season cruise control and still steady.. Tanev actually looked like he had something to prove... carried and kicked it into top gear to move the puck outta the zone more than you would expect.

And the cherry on top of the night was to hear Shorty update with the news that VIRTANEN scored two to win the other game in OT! Love it. Feel great for the kid. As I typed that I just saw his post game interview on Sportsnet with the biggest grin on his face... So awesome for him!

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

MS I know it wasnt a great game but it is also the very first pre season game after a long summer for the players who might be shaking off some rust, and players were mostly thrown together. Do you think you are being a tad critical at this stage?

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He’s an old prospect who is small, an average skater, and who generally blends into the scenery. There is nothing about him that projects moving up levels, but he is a useful system guy in Utica who will probably score 30-40 points from their middle-6 next year. Which is fine - you need those guys even if they never play an NHL shift.

Where I was caught off guard were 2-3 articles this summer hyping this guy as a top underrated prospect and praising his speed and buzzsaw motor and forechecking. And having watched him play a ton last year my reaction was ‘huh?!?’ and it actually made me question a bit whether I was missing something.

And watching him play today (and he was a guy I was trying to watch closely), I saw exactly the same player I saw last year. And in a slooooooow paced game, there wasn’t a single point where he injected any speed or pace into it. Was he terrible? No - he’s a decently smart positional player and he didn’t embarrass himself and was far better than a guy like Gadjovich. But there’s just nothing there that pops or projects.

ok, well i didn't read the articles. i would agree that you cannot take much positive from his game tonight. but i didn't see negatives. i think it was just a flat game early in the preseason where the players did not click. he's obviously always been bound for utica where i think half a season will give a much better indicator. all he did tonight is track as you'd expect of this prospect. it's mildly disappointing he didn't take a big leap over the summer i guess.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MS I know it wasnt a great game but it is also the very first pre season game after a long summer for the players who might be shaking off some rust, and players were mostly thrown together. Do you think you are being a tad critical at this stage?

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say?

The team didn’t play well and were generally dominated by a worse-on-paper Calgary team, and few players put their hand up in any meaningful way. Especially guys who had to play well like Gaudette and Goldobin if they want to make the team.

Of course it’s one very early game and everything I’m saying is taking that into account. But in a slow-paced game, it’s disappointing when no young players can put a stamp on it ... as guys like Dube and Phillips for Calgary did.

Apparently there were some better performances in the other game but I can’t find a taped stream so I can’t comment.

Reactions: timw33 and DarrenX

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ok, well i didn't read the articles. i would agree that you cannot take much positive from his game tonight. but i didn't see negatives. i think it was just a flat game early in the preseason where the players did not click. he's obviously always been bound for utica where i think half a season will give a much better indicator. all he did tonight is track as you'd expect of this prospect. it's mildly disappointing he didn't take a big leap over the summer i guess.

Where am I disagreeing that it was it flat game where the players didn’t click? That was basically what my first post said - choppy game, few positives. In any preseason game you hope some young players and bubble guys put their hands up and make some sort of statement and nobody did in this one. A guy like Dube, on the other hand, was one of the best players on the ice and made a big statement about making Calgary’s roster this year.

I’m not ‘disappointed’ in a player like Jasek per se but a performance like this does nothing to change my previous opinion of him as a very fringe prospect with little upside.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
My initial impression after 10 minutes is that we have absolutely no help on defence coming in the system.

Reactions: timw33

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My initial impression after 10 minutes is that we have absolutely no help on defence coming in the system.

Rafferty looked ok... a lot of scrambles he managed to bail out of high danger plays/chances against.
Teves not as much, but made up for in offensive aggression.

The pairing didn't get much help in the second... look pretty positive in the third. (Didn't watch the first)

Rafferty especially I wouldnt have too much issue with if he was called up at some point.

We have something in them. For now it should be a nice upgrade to Utica's back end.

Reactions: DarrenX

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say?

The team didn’t play well and were generally dominated by a worse-on-paper Calgary team, and few players put their hand up in any meaningful way. Especially guys who had to play well like Gaudette and Goldobin if they want to make the team.

Of course it’s one very early game and everything I’m saying is taking that into account. But in a slow-paced game, it’s disappointing when no young players can put a stamp on it ... as guys like Dube and Phillips for Calgary did.

Apparently there were some better performances in the other game but I can’t find a taped stream so I can’t comment.

I watched both games. I wouldn't say the other game had better performances.
It was one of those laughers that happens once a year where one team gets hugely out shot (38-13) and completely dominated in every aspect of the game but somehow pulls out a fluke OT win. Only won because Talbot came in midway and let in some total stinkers (and got booed). Bachman was leaving huge holes to shoot at all game but Calgary couldn't finish anything.

Eliot's goal was a routine point shot from the blue line that somehow trickled 5-hole. Virtanen's 1st goal was a bad angle shot that Talbot should have had. Jake's OT goal was the only good goal.

- I didn't see Baertschi do anything all game. If he doesn't get better over camp, he should be on the bubble.
- Virtanen didn't do much either (other than truck Giordano one time) until the goals at the end.
- Beagle, MacEwen, and especially Motte were looking rusty. Schaller was at least skating well and looked the best of the bubble guys.
- Camper too small, weak, and slow at this level. No impact. Graovac (looked big and tough to move off the puck) and Perron not noticeable.
- The best line that generated the most was Hamilton Bancks and Keppen. Keppen was the one guy who exceeded expectations to me. He looked like he really belonged in this game and not just 'there' like newly drafted late round picks usually look like. Generated some good scoring chances.
- Biega looks better than Fantenberg. Stecher didn't stand out like he should.
- Sautner was the best of the D to me. Very steady and positionally sound as usual. Too early of course but based on this 1 game, I would give him the #8 spot over Fantenberg.
- Woo was decent but he doesn't look ready for pro yet. Eliot was just ok.
- Bachman stopped pucks somehow but everything looked like it should have gone in. Maybe it's because he's so small and has such an awkward style.

This Talbot was Edmonton Talbot from last year. If this is the Talbot Calgary gets, Rittich is going to be getting a lot of games. Yikes!

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
^ Thanks for report.

Don't like seeing Hamilton and Bancks getting their annual pre-season game but sounds like they were ok. Hopefully they exceed my expectations and do something for the Comets this season

Might well be that Baertschi shouldn't make the team. You start making up line-ups and it's hard to see how he is in your top 6 and he seems hardly suitable for bottom lines. Wondering how much the team saves if he does go so down??? Would be even better if he goes on IR. Don't like saying that but it's likely the truth.

Good to hear about Keppen.

Couple of additional comments I'd make about the Victoria game are one - Loui was being Loui. Like avoiding contact and reaching out and pawing for the puck. Unbelievable how he refuses to ever go to the body or finish a check. Turns away every time. Second Focht has good wheels and does compete. If Keppen and him can continue to improve Canucks might have done some good mid round drafting. Be a critical Junior year for both of them.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Was at the game in Victoria and a lot of players did a lot more to get themselves cut than advance their chances. Lots of very poor coverage in their end and little effective o-zone time. Canucks were dominated at both blue lines. Couldn't gain the o-zone much and backed in on everything. Goalies had to be good to prevent a huge rout. The way many of these players performed left severe doubts that Utica will be any good. Having watched Utica last year saw the play of many of the farmhands was simply an extension of last year's play. Did leave the game early (with just over 3 minutes to go) so comments reflect what I saw up to that point.

Individuals

Miller - could see the pro savvy in the way he screened players and moved the puck. Made some nice passes and showed a decent turn of speed. Him and Horvat looked for each other a little too much and forced play at times.. Looks like he will help the team

Tanev - best defenseman by a mile. However, ended up trying to carry the load too much and got forced into mistakes in the late going. Someone needed to try to do something to produce some offense but this isn't Tanev's role

Benn plays a heavy game - did ok but obviously needed to play with stronger partners.

Horvat - played a hard on some shifts but mostly just getting game time.

Just send to Utica and stop wasting time type players

Lind - gave a good effort but never accomplished much. Still too weak on the puck and couldn't beat anyone one on one. Showed very poor point coverage many times.

Gadjovich - could rarely effectively get into the play. Game was too fast for him and, outside of few successful puck battle in the corner, he was left scrambling to stay even close to the play.. Might well not be good enough for Utica

Bailey - guy is big, guy can skate, guy can shoot - just too bad he can't play high level hockey. Total passenger much of the game and you really had to look to find him.

Boucher - very poor game. Made one rush out of the corner and made a good set up to Brisebois. But mostly out on the fringes. Very shoddy defensive effort in his end

Rafferty - terrible start to the game and overall not good enough. Did improve in the second and third but, like others, poor at his blueline. Might be something to work with here but no where close to NHL ready.

Chatfield - can't fault effort but real prone to huge gaffes. Tentative when he should be aggressive and aggressive when he needs to show caution. Chases play in his end and often out of position

Brisebois - might have been the most disappointing . Weak around his net and couldn't make a pass all game. Skating doesn't appear adequate.

Teves - looks to me like a waste of a contract slot. Doubt he makes Utica. Goal he got may well be highlight of his career.

Jasek - neither fast or strong enough to penetrate offensively and terrible coverage problems in his end.

Others

Levio - sporadic effort and couldn't do much with chances he had. Shows a good stick at times but got caught flat-footed too much.

Goldobin - saw little improvement over last season. He must be an offensive force and bury his chances but so far can't do that at the NHL level and didn't tonight

Gaudette -another disappointing player. Work ethic definitely there but so little high level skill. At times got pressure on the puck but couldn't really take people off the puck. With the puck, he lacked the hands to move puck well or stick handle in any kind of traffic. Another who does not look NHL ready. So it's probably hello Sutter on the 3rd line.

Overall the score line does not reflect the game which was very one-sided in Calgary's favour.

I legit look for your post-game wrap up every game. You're the best source for game analysis on the planet.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
- Jasek was generally invisible, as he is most nights. No idea where the scouting reports that he’s some sort of speedy high-energy buzzsaw come from. Average skater who normally just blends into the scenery.

He's really not that invisible at the AHL level, he does the little things quite well, shot is a WIP but he's good along the boards and a decent puck distributor and one of the better ones at transitioning the puck through the neutral zone

He looked uncomfortable last night as he was playing off-role at center. You could see his tendency to drift to the left side where he had some success last season in the AHL on the powerplay and alongside Kero and Boucher.

Uncomfortable would be a good way to describe the majority of that Victoria game tbh

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's really not that invisible at the AHL level, he does the little things quite well, shot is a WIP but he's good along the boards and a decent puck distributor and one of the better ones at transitioning the puck through the neutral zone

He looked uncomfortable last night as he was playing off-role at center. You could see his tendency to drift to the left side where he had some success last season in the AHL on the powerplay and alongside Kero and Boucher.

Uncomfortable would be a good way to describe the majority of that Victoria game tbh

I watched him play about 40 games in the AHL last year and yes, he was invisible in that league. He started out decently and had a few noticeable games early and then you couldn't find him without a program for 3 months where he scored 1 goal in 38 games from consistent top-9 icetime.

'Being invisible' isn't totally an insult, and yes, he is positionally pretty sound and you don't notice him screwing up often at that level either. But there is nothing about his game that 'pops' or projects moving up levels. He's a serviceable middling AHL player who will have a nice long career in Europe. Smallish, average skater, ok two-way game, no shot or finishing skills.

Put it this way - he doesn't skate anywhere near as well as Tyler Motte, doesn't have remotely the motor of Tyler Motte, is kinda similar to Tyler Motte otherwise .... and Tyler Motte is *barely* an NHL player.

Agreed that playing C wasn't ideal for him last night, although he did play a chunk of games there in the AHL last year when the team had injury issues so it wasn't totally unfamiliar. But yes, he should be on the wing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yep, and it should be raising a lot of alarm bells—especially after taking 0 Dmen in the past draft and saying that Teves/Rafferty, two 24 year old college players, made it OK that we didn't take any d-men.

We need constant back pressure at all positions from young 20-22 year old players pushing for roster spots or forcibly taking NHL roster spots from below replacement level veteran players and reaping the savings (to be used on paying our high end talent). After being the worst team over the last 4 years, we should simply have more to show from it than our lottery picks. It's super frustrating.

Like, one of the dug-in positions is Adam Gaudette being trotted out as being an absolute steal and validation that we can draft well outside of the first round (or the Top-10), but here we are with a player about to turn 23 and is having another so-so camp where he's trying hard and not accomplishing much, and doesn't look close to making Sutter redundant like many have planned with their ideal rosters.

Or if we turn quickly to how the 2017 draft was one of the best in Canucks history, and then 2 years later it looks like an absolute wasteland, and that's with two 2nd round picks for the first time in forever. Two 2nd round picks where the next players selected were Nic Hague and Josh Brook, two "A" level D prospects—exactly the kind of players our system should be littered with.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I watched him play about 40 games in the AHL last year and yes, he was invisible in that league. He started out decently and had a few noticeable games early and then you couldn't find him without a program for 3 months where he scored 1 goal in 38 games from consistent top-9 icetime.

'Being invisible' isn't totally an insult, and yes, he is positionally pretty sound and you don't notice him screwing up often at that level either. But there is nothing about his game that 'pops' or projects moving up levels. He's a serviceable middling AHL player who will have a nice long career in Europe. Smallish, average skater, ok two-way game, no shot or finishing skills.

Put it this way - he doesn't skate anywhere near as well as Tyler Motte, doesn't have remotely the motor of Tyler Motte, is kinda similar to Tyler Motte otherwise .... and Tyler Motte is *barely* an NHL player.

Agreed that playing C wasn't ideal for him last night, although he did play a chunk of games there in the AHL last year when the team had injury issues so it wasn't totally unfamiliar. But yes, he should be on the wing.
The whole hype comes from lazy writers reading all of the comparisons being made to Jannik Hansen of him from back around draft time when noone had seen him live and perhaps one international game at best. For some reason it stuck around. I remember at his first camp he showed good wheels but it has become quite average

Reactions: mossey3535

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Happens after every draft. People are so enamoured with the prospects because of highlights they see and hype they get from some analyst and the draft is always considered a success before the prospects hit NHL ice.

The Canucks have no quality prospect. No D prospects and the later round picks are not panning out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The whole hype comes from lazy writers reading all of the comparisons being made to Jannik Hansen of him from back around draft time when noone had seen him live and perhaps one international game at best. For some reason it stuck around. I remember at his first camp he showed good wheels but it has become quite average

The thing that's weird to me on Jasek is that there were some pretty hot takes this summer from people who had apparently seen him play in Utica, and they were just gross exaggerations of his ability.

I have no idea how anyone can watch this player consistently and take 'great skater' out of it. Or 'high-energy buzzsaw'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad