Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames in Victoria (3 - 4 CGY) / Canucks @ Flames (3 - 2 VAN in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What an awful game and lame way to start the season, late goals notwithstanding. Choppy mess dominated by Calgary with few positives to speak of.

- Miller and Horvat started well in the 1st period and then drifted out of the game until late, which is probably understandable. Nice chemistry on the late goal was a good sign, though. Goldobin should have been a standout in a game like this - where the pace made an AAAA guy like Czarnik look like a star - but was completely invisible aside from a couple moments on the PP in the opening period. Not a good start for him.

- Eriksson somehow looks even slower than last year. Was generally awful and him scoring was classic Louie.

- Leivo looked plodding on the rush but probably had more good looks/shots at goal than the rest of the team combined.

- Gaudette really struggled. Fought the puck, skated poorly. Not a good start for him, either.

- Kole Lind worked really hard and had a good game defensively and on the backcheck ... but man is his skating and lack of leg drive a problem. Fringe prospect.

- Jasek was generally invisible, as he is most nights. No idea where the scouting reports that he’s some sort of speedy high-energy buzzsaw come from. Average skater who normally just blends into the scenery.

- Bailey can go straight to Utica’s 3rd line. Not much there.

- Focht didn’t embarrass himself although he was obviously small/weak for this level.

- Gadjovich is a flat-out bust.

- healthy Tanev is still a stud and was the best player on the ice.

- Brisebois was ... not bad and definitely the best of the young defenders, although his lack of ability to transition the puck was an obvious problem at times.

- Benn was OK. Did look slow going back after a puck on the play that led to his penalty. Chatfield just brings nothing. Hasn’t improved an iota since his first camp 2 years ago.

- Teves-Rafferty pairing was a trainwreck defensively. Coverage breakdowns and odd-man rushes everywhere all night. Teves made a nice individual play on his goal but both look like very marginal prospects. Rafferty does try to move the puck quickly and shows some passing skills but his skating is brutal and while the sliding KB3 impression he was doing out there might have worked tonight, his positioning will get shredded in the longer run.

- both goalies were good. Dipietro let two stoppable shots by but also looked very sharp on some tougher chances.

Hopefully the other game has a few more positives ...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Could get used to Miller & Horvat. Super impressed w/ Miller, excited to see him all year.

Just need to put Pearson or Virtanen with them, Goldy wasn't a good fit.

Also thought Lind was decent, he's got developing to do but you can see his hockey sense.
Alot of times he was in the right spot to grab a puck or knew when he had an extra second to make a play. With his IQ he's still got a shot if he works hard enough.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Miller looked great, Really like how he looks with Horvat.
Not really much to say about the other vets its pre season.

Was happy with Lind
Tevez and Brisebois at times they both can skate but need to figure out when to assert themselves and be crisp

Bailey and Chatfield have no idea whats going on

Nice to watch hockey again

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know if there’s a saved stream of the game in Calgary anywhere? Normally they’re available on the team website but if it’s there I can’t find it ...

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pearson-Horvat-Miller could actually be a line. Horvat actually having wingers is going to be fun to watch.

Miller might be the straw that stirs that line with his passing ability. It's going to be fun to watch three bull players on one line.

We've come a long way from a Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin line.

Reactions: Caldercanucks

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
We are busy haggling with Boeser over his contract because guys like Eriksson are taking up a ridiculous amount of capspace... but that's ok because "Benning tried"? No, that's not how it works. There were other options besides spending big money on a long contract with an aging player. Are you seriously trying to defend Benning and Eriksson? Will you still feel the same way when Beagle and Roussel and Eriksson lead to Pettersson and Hughes holding out too? You think other teams want our overpaid crap? We can't just get rid of them without paying for it or taking back equally bad crap. This team's cap structure is ass-backwards because of Bennings poor signing, and you can't see the impact?
Curious how you correlate what LE makes to having an impact on any Brock deal. If there was an agreement, the nucks had up to 10 mill to sign him. You people in the Benning hate club constantly push false narratives. Not one contract has been an anchor, not will there be one. Benning was able to sign the #1 ranked RHD I'm free agency, resign Edler who could have gotten more term elsewhere, brought in JT, signed Ferland, Benn and Brock while being stuck with the recapture penalty. It's is completely irrelevant if he overpaid on guys like Beagle Sutter or Rouselle since at the time the nucks were terrible and rebuilding. What other options did Benning have against other teams who were better at the time? None of those deals have impacted Benning from being able to lock up his own but was still able to add 4 pretty decent players without massively overpaying. If you look at our cap going forward, tons of cap come of each of the next 4 years, as the young kids need to be reupped. Almost seems that maybe, just maybe, Bennimg planned it like that?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What an awful game and lame way to start the season, late goals notwithstanding. Choppy mess dominated by Calgary with few positives to speak of.

- Miller and Horvat started well in the 1st period and then drifted out of the game until late, which is probably understandable. Nice chemistry on the late goal was a good sign, though. Goldobin should have been a standout in a game like this - where the pace made an AAAA guy like Czarnik look like a star - but was completely invisible aside from a couple moments on the PP in the opening period. Not a good start for him.

- Eriksson somehow looks even slower than last year. Was generally awful and him scoring was classic Louie.

- Leivo looked plodding on the rush but probably had more good looks/shots at goal than the rest of the team combined.

- Gaudette really struggled. Fought the puck, skated poorly. Not a good start for him, either.

- Kole Lind worked really hard and had a good game defensively and on the backcheck ... but man is his skating and lack of leg drive a problem. Fringe prospect.

- Jasek was generally invisible, as he is most nights. No idea where the scouting reports that he’s some sort of speedy high-energy buzzsaw come from. Average skater who normally just blends into the scenery.

- Bailey can go straight to Utica’s 3rd line. Not much there.

- Focht didn’t embarrass himself although he was obviously small/weak for this level.

- Gadjovich is a flat-out bust.

- healthy Tanev is still a stud and was the best player on the ice.

- Brisebois was ... not bad and definitely the best of the young defenders, although his lack of ability to transition the puck was an obvious problem at times.

- Benn was OK. Did look slow going back after a puck on the play that led to his penalty. Chatfield just brings nothing. Hasn’t improved an iota since his first camp 2 years ago.

- Teves-Rafferty pairing was a trainwreck defensively. Coverage breakdowns and odd-man rushes everywhere all night. Teves made a nice individual play on his goal but both look like very marginal prospects. Rafferty does try to move the puck quickly and shows some passing skills but his skating is brutal and while the sliding KB3 impression he was doing out there might have worked tonight, his positioning will get shredded in the longer run.

- both goalies were good. Dipietro let two stoppable shots by but also looked very sharp on some tougher chances.

Hopefully the other game has a few more positives ...

lol. "everybody sucked."

ok

Reactions: Nomobo

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Did I forget that Eriksson and Sutter are locked up for the next 10 years?

Don't put Beagle and Roussel in the same category, their contracts are relatively cheap and are quality bottom six players. Roussel was a beast in his first season as a Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just one game....but hopefully the bitter denunciation of trading a future first rounder for J.T. Miller will die down a bit. This guy is a very skilled forward....still only 26 and with a cost certainty for four more years. Was obviously wasted with only 15 minutes a night in Tampa, but will be a force with the Canucks. He's a brilliant passer along the half wall. and will set up a lot of chances.

I see other posters were dissing the play of Rafferty and Teves, but I actually loved how both guys played. At least they're trying to initiate things about there. And I like their games a lot more than d-men like Brisebois, Chatfield (who I thought was really poor} and Saunter who just seem to be dump the puck out and in and play it safe.

Just a prediction, but I think Utica fans are going to love watching Teves and Rafferty this season. I hope they keep them together down there.

Reactions: Brickstrom

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lol. "everybody sucked."

ok

That’s really what you took from my post? Seriously?

That was a crappy game with few positives. Period. Miller looked good, Tanev looked healthy and skated well, and Brisebois looked OK. That’s about it. All the prospects/bubble guys save Brisebois did themselves no favours. Goldobin and Gaudette in particular were poor.

What exactly do you disagree with in my post?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Jt miller looked good tonight alongside bo horvat. you can definately see some skill. that spinmove he did while on the powerplay although risky was quite something to watch. so expecting 5-6 cuts from both sides tommorow? trim down the number to 40ish? theres like 60 players in camp at least right?

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
@Caldercanucks Benning didn’t overpay Sutter or Beagle or Roussell. When healthy they all earn their pay checks. Quality players.
I agree. maybe beagle may have been a year longer than Benning wanted and maybe sutter a slight overpayment but nowhere near as bad as Benning haters want to say. Rouselle was better then I expected and Beagle was as advertised. I take a lot of flack for supporting Benning, but I see the logic behind what he did and how when healthy, they all bring value to the team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Miller was well worth the first if he plays like that all he time.

Ferland-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Leivo
Eriksson/Goldy

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i tried to watch both games at once which was a mistake, but a novelty. might even catch on in our attention span challenged age. watch two squads of your team take on two squads of the other team for an aggregate score. could yield some interesting roster strategies.

anyway, everyone was rusty and a lot of mulligans all round.

-miller is a definite team upgrade. he is a mobile playmaker who can shoot and has decent anticipation. i think he will drive play. of all the new guys who played he is the most obvious improvement.

-eriksson was trying hard but looked nothing like miller. basically not an impact player at all but in position and found a way to contribute. is going to do his best but has nothing in the tank to be more than the guy we saw last year but a little more desperate.

-lind is not yet strong enough on his skates to impose his will or get separation, but he had an impressive night in terms of anticipating and getting into the play especially when calgary got tired. seemed to me to break through mentally as the game progressed. he has a ways to go, but if he sustains that he has a future.

-gaudette lacks top 6 finish and polish but his will to be there is strong. i am skeptical he is going to outplay sutter at camp but motte should be worried. i think he only goes to utica if they want to be sure he gets minutes to develop as a centre and they will find it hard to keep him down there.

-rafferty/teves look like they will at minimum be solid ahl players to me. both have the necessary urgency and were involved as the game progressed. they are, however, a size too small to be regular nhl dmen unless they have something extra and i think only rafferty of the two might have it.

-brisebois was solidly boringly competent but brought nothing to excite you. i feel like we are going to lose this guy and he will quietly play 800 solid games for florida with nobody knowing his name on the main board.

-jake's stat line flatters his game. he and baertschi were trying but mostly lost without better players to drive play for them. both were ok.

-the dmen in calgary were decently engaged. they didn't panic and even though very often overwhelmed made some plays and the young guys settled in. woo and eliot seemed to log a lot of minutes especially early and hung in there surprisingly well. fantenberg has an edge to him.

-the forwards in calgary were not able to do much, but did put in a physical effort. graovic started strong and was noticable but faded as the game progressed. beagle and schaller and the ahl guys ground it out like the 1987 canucks. most were outclassed and unable to contribute much in any zone.

-

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That’s really what you took from my post? Seriously?

That was a crappy game with few positives. Period. Miller looked good, Tanev looked healthy and skated well, and Brisebois looked OK. That’s about it. All the prospects/bubble guys save Brisebois did themselves no favours. Goldobin and Gaudette in particular were poor.

What exactly do you disagree with in my post?

i just posted my take. i do not think you could fairly draw the inferences you did about several of the prospects based on what you saw. it was a flat preseason game with a hodge podge roster where some guys were overwhelmed or lost or didn't have their feet under them.

jasek is a good example. i actually thought he looked perfectly ok but just did not distinguish himself sort of like brisebois but not as ready. he's clearly not pressing for a big team spot, but for a 22 year old 6th rounder starting his second full ahl season that does not surprise me.

some guys will come into a camp and make noise, but many prospects will round into form as a season progresses. there's very few guys on the roster i'd write off as you seem to be willing to do after one split squad glorified scrimmage 4 days into camp.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad