Dreger: Canucks trying to re-sign Pearson before the deadline

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No way that Vancouver signs him for more than what Toffoli got. If he is demanding more than $4.25m, he should be traded.
Iv seen crazier things but Id be surprised if he got more than Toffoli. cap hits for players other than stars should be lower moving forward in the flat cap seasons. hopefully that doesnt last too long. be nice to see the cap rise again.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
In Reality they will have 30+ million plus whatever Seattle takes and the probable buyout of LE.

Quinn, Petey and Demko 15-18 million
of
The UFA Benn, Edler, Sutter, Baer, Pearson Hamonic I think Edler, Hamonic, could be re-signed cheap but I could see the others replaced internally. It also depends on happens with Rousell and Jake.
My point is the doom and gloom that some claim with the cap is overblown, much like this year.
Benning letting Tanev and Marky walk was the right move going forward and Demko and Hamonic look like a much better option.

Bolded seems optimistic, even in a flat cap world, even with Hughes defensive struggles and Pettersson's at times uninspired play (though he's been more productive lately)

To the topic on hand, re-signing Pearson doesn't make much sense to me, unless he's willing to take a paycut. Useful player but a supplementary piece, dollars might be better spent elsewhere

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson, Hughes and Demko are not being negotiated with until after the deadline, but Pearson we're "trying to resign"?

I like the guy, but did Benning learn nothing from last year? I like Pearson, but what kind of crap is this?

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
I didn't think you and I would see eye to eye but as a Canuck fan I can A) agree that both those guys could help the Leafs and B) think that they are both available for a reasonable price.
Pearson = 2nd
Virtanen = ??
Together with retention and a contract coming back to balance cap I would like to see a close to ready prospect and pick.
like i said i like both those players but i just don't see a fit in a trade leafs don't have the cap space, and i don't think dubass sees same as i do, he likes soft skilled players and i like hard nosed players, like i said i am dreaming but just don't see it ever happening, leafs need a couple more hard nosed players prefer a tough D and a tough winger.....

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
No way that Vancouver signs him for more than what Toffoli got. If he is demanding more than $4.25m, he should be traded.
I wouldn’t put it past Benning. Likely he won’t be traded but will be lost for nothing.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
what an absolutely astute and brilliant move if true, just sign him Darren Dreger NHL GM Whisperer!

how does Dreger come up with these highly clever but elegantly sublime roster solutions he's always' coming up with which of course begs the question of "why is he not sitting in the big chair himself?"

well ladies and gents it's very simple, why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free!

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pearson is one of those players who could easily fall between the cracks if he makes it to July 1, so I could see him accepting an extension for 1-2 years at $2-3M, which would be nice. I don't see Pearson getting more than $3m in the current climate.

Obviously getting a 2nd then re-signing him would be better, but that's just not realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad