Dreger: Canucks trying to re-sign Pearson before the deadline

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
i like this player a lot more than grandlund and also would love to have virtanen on the leafs common dubass make a move for those two they are available....dreaming
I didn't think you and I would see eye to eye but as a Canuck fan I can A) agree that both those guys could help the Leafs and B) think that they are both available for a reasonable price.
Pearson = 2nd
Virtanen = ??
Together with retention and a contract coming back to balance cap I would like to see a close to ready prospect and pick.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Pearson
Eriksson
Beagle
Baerstchi
Roussel
Ferland
Myers
Sutter
Benn
Virtanen
Holtby

Has any other GM wasted so much $$$ and roster spots on fluff that could be replaced with league min players without anyone noticing the difference? That's like 30 million in cap by my count. Then Spooner buyout and Luongo (not so much their fault but they should have traded and LTIRd him as he was mad injured when he retired) on top of it. I guess NYR with their 15 million in dead cap space plus Smith, Strome and DeAngelo on top of that.

Reactions: Son of Petter

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Signing Pearson reduces the amount of cap space available to the RFAs by design.

Reactions: Siludin

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I actually think keeping Pearson makes sense. He's a well liked guy in the dressing room and losing even more players won't exactly motivate the team as we've seen.

With that said, my concerns is Benning will give him both way too much term and money. Not to mention, it makes no sense now with the expansion draft on the horizon. Of course, this is Benning and he doesn't think long term. Or think at all, if we're being honest.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Pearson
Eriksson
Beagle
Baerstchi
Roussel
Ferland
Myers
Sutter
Benn
Virtanen
Holtby

Has any other GM wasted so much $$$ and roster spots on fluff that could be replaced with league min players without anyone noticing the difference? That's like 30 million in cap by my count. Then Spooner buyout and Luongo (not so much their fault but they should have traded and LTIRd him as he was mad injured when he retired) on top of it. I guess NYR with their 15 million in dead cap space plus Smith, Strome and DeAngelo on top of that.

Let's be fair here. Pearson has no business being listed among those players. He was fantastic last season, and while he's struggling this year. So is pretty much the whole team. Ironically, he's the only one of those you listed actually worth his current contract. Virtanen would be fine too, but Green has basically stapled him to the fourth line where he has zero chance of doing anything. Holtby is alright. He's basically there because the expansion draft mandates a goalie being available. So without him, we'd have to live Demko or DiPietro open.

What infuriates me about Benning is he overpays for the wrong players. Every team has several guys making more than they should. That's fine if they contribute enough. Tanev, for example, would be fine with his current contract. Sure, he might regress by year three but he's effective. You can deal with Tanev on the third pairing for a couple years.

Roussel, on the other hand, is stupid. He brings nothing a cheaper UFA or a hungry rookie couldn't. At 2M? Maybe but 3x4 is absolutely ridiculous.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pearson
Eriksson
Beagle
Baerstchi
Roussel
Ferland
Myers
Sutter
Benn
Virtanen
Holtby

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What a list! I’m shocked he’s still employed as a GM. He would be good as a head of a scouting department but look at this list of signings and it’s clear as day he’s not GM caliber

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Really doesn’t make sense to even talk to their ufas until after they get their rfas signed. Figure out what you have left after pettersson, Hughes and Demko are signed.

they are right up against the cap now. Around $20 mill of ufa contracts are up this off season. Factoring replacement costs for those ufa with roster spots they have roughly $15 mill max that they can spread out to those 3 key rfas. No reason to take anymore cap space from this amount before you get those 3 guys signed.

At this point of Bennings tenure with the club performing poorly and everyone on the roster he acquired or signed their current contract the results of this season are completely on him.

Imo shouldn’t be permitted to sign any veteran to a contract. If the owner finally recognizes the poor job JB has done and terminated him at the end of the season then he should let a new gm deal with contracts for next season.
In Reality they will have 30+ million plus whatever Seattle takes and the probable buyout of LE.

Quinn, Petey and Demko 15-18 million of
The UFA Benn, Edler, Sutter, Baer, Pearson Hamonic I think Edler, Hamonic, could be re-signed cheap but I could see the others replaced internally. It also depends on happens with Rousell and Jake.
My point is the doom and gloom that some claim with the cap is overblown, much like this year.
Benning letting Tanev and Marky walk was the right move going forward and Demko and Hamonic look like a much better option.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Pearson
Eriksson
Beagle
Baerstchi
Roussel
Ferland
Myers
Sutter
Benn
Virtanen
Holtby

What a silly post.
So Benning is being blamed for Ferlsnds injury now? Of all those signings Myers, Sutter, Benn are all playing well 2 expire this year and the other is something we are very thin on.
None of these contracts cripple this team going forward nor have they cost the team picks, prospects to unload.
Holtby contract is not a bad contract and is most likely selected by Seattle.
Marky, Tanev, TT werent re-signed because they didn't fit the core going forward. All 3 could have been brought back at the cost of Nate, Demko, and Hamonic. Going forward those contracts will look gross but Benning haters are to stubborn to see that.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Let's be fair here. Pearson has no business being listed among those players. He was fantastic last season, and while he's struggling this year. So is pretty much the whole team. Ironically, he's the only one of those you listed actually worth his current contract. Virtanen would be fine too, but Green has basically stapled him to the fourth line where he has zero chance of doing anything. Holtby is alright. He's basically there because the expansion draft mandates a goalie being available. So without him, we'd have to live Demko or DiPietro open.

What infuriates me about Benning is he overpays for the wrong players. Every team has several guys making more than they should. That's fine if they contribute enough. Tanev, for example, would be fine with his current contract. Sure, he might regress by year three but he's effective. You can deal with Tanev on the third pairing for a couple years.

Roussel, on the other hand, is stupid. He brings nothing a cheaper UFA or a hungry rookie couldn't. At 2M? Maybe but 3x4 is absolutely ridiculous.

Pearson can hold his own as a complimentary 2nd line winger who doesn't create anything but doesn't really cost you but I feel like a good team is better signing cheap guys with potential like Verhaeghe or Duclair for that role, funnelling prospects through or getting a bona fide winger for more. If you're spending almost 4 million on Tanner Pearson it's not the end of the world but you could be doing better with that money

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
What a silly post.
So Benning is being blamed for Ferlsnds injury now?
Literally everyone with a pulse knew Ferland was messed up for good or one hit away from it

Of all those signings Myers, Sutter, Benn are all playing well 2 expire this year and the other is something we are very thin on.
None of these contracts cripple this team going forward nor have they cost the team picks, prospects to unload.
Holtby contract is not a bad contract and is most likely selected by Seattle.
Marky, Tanev, TT werent re-signed because they didn't fit the core going forward. All 3 could have been brought back at the cost of Nate, Demko, and Hamonic. Going forward those contracts will look gross but Benning haters are to stubborn to see that.

Yes, they could all suck 5 years from now. If only those teams were smart like Benning, they could spend twice as much on players that suck TODAY!!!

I'm glad you're happy following a team handicapped to 70% of the salary cap vs other contenders, personally I'd be furious

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
It’s just insane that he’s still allowed to make moves and sign contracts just wasting years of Pettersson and Hughes. It’s obvious he’s not a very bright person and I’m sure he’s just a yes man to the Aquilini family. Sad times for Canucks fans when we have 2 young stars that you could really build a contender around with competent management.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this makes no sense. i like pearson but pearson is having an off year as a pending ufa which should set alarm bells ringing. unless we are offering him a pay cut i do not get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad