Dreger: Canucks trying to re-sign Pearson before the deadline

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We can’t afford Pearson unless he takes a pretty substantial discount. It’s hard to tell what guys will get these days with the flat cap, but I can’t imagine Pearson would get much considering he’s on pace for 28 points over an 82 game season despite getting top 6 minutes. If anything Pearson is a candidate to get a 1 year deal around 2mil if you ask me.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wait what...
Trade him for picks or prospects now, and resign him in the offseason. This better not be true, but knowing Benning it probably is. The absolute opposite of what should be done once again.

Brutal

Reactions: Canuck86

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly don't know if he's worth his potential cap hit to us. Sutter, Edler, Benn, Pearson, Baertschi, Hamonic and what ever we do with Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson leave us with a fair bit of space, but we need replacements for at least some of them.

That's not to say he's not earned an extension, but we have two huge contracts that need to be dealt with ASAFP so we can plan what else we can afford, and what we need.

We're better off trading him, and throwing Podkolzin in as soon as the KHL season ends for him on his ELC.

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Trade him and get what you can - preferably for picks. Resign him if possible in free agency or go after other players. With the expansion draft and the salary cap, there will be players available that are cheaper and better!!

JB hardly ever gets sells at the Trade deadline, so I’m not holding my breath.

BUT I assume JB’s strategy this year is to sign him to term and overpay again and then selling other core players when he can’t sign Hughes or Peterson. What a dud GM. He should not be allowed to trade - leave that to a competent GM.

Reactions: David71

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Jim gonna Jim, the no plan..plan. Nothing new here, just no logic involved with the decision making.

#FireBenning
The plan should be to move the UFAs for assets and then with a year left on Eriksson's contract, use those extra picks to offload him like the Rangers did with Marc Staal for a 2nd to Detroit.

Because right now, with $15 mill tied up in eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo recapture and let's face it, a veteran backup that Holtby is now, shouldn't be costing $4.3 mill against the cap. Team so fearful about handing the reigns to Demko that they again overpaid on term for a veteran. Like the extra year they gave Nilsson. So, a good $17 mill is not being used effectively.

If this team doesn't compete next season, or can't because of this dead cap space, then it's more logical to trade Miller because he's UFA in 2023 at age 30.

As for what Pearson is worth contract wise, I mean Toffoli is a better player and he took a 10% pay cut from $4.6 down to $4.2. Pearson is the type of player who should be in under $3 mill per. Canucks simply can't afford that. They can't have a repeat of of 2019 where they left themselves like $6 million to sign Boeser after signing Ferland first. Take care of your top RFAs then deal with UFA market.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Why in the world would Vancouver do this? He is exactly the type of asset the team should be looking to move for picks at Deadline. I swear, Vancouver has pissed away too many opportunities in the past 5 + years to acquire picks for fading assets. Here is another prime example. They will play the media re-signing BS game and probably let the deadline pass without moving said player and then allow him to walk for nothing to show for it in the end because they couldn't get a deal done.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Benning really is walking on thin ice here. But let's not forget that although this is a business, Pearson wants and needs should also be considered.

If Pearson wants to stay in Vancouver, then I hope he does take a fair/decent contract - Due to Covid I expect that to be less than what he could get on the market in previous years.

If Pearson is undecided, then Benning really needs to trade the guy away for picks. This season is over, I don't remember the last UFA we actually managed to trade away. We could really use those picks, even if it is to go out and buy a different winger. But we can't afford to just do nothing again.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
To Bruins Gaudette/ Virtanen ..... to Canucks Bjork / Vankanheinan .... That give the Canucks a young Dman and cap space ,,,,,,,,,,Bruins get RW they have been looking for.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Benning really is walking on thin ice here. But let's not forget that although this is a business, Pearson wants and needs should also be considered.

If Pearson wants to stay in Vancouver, then I hope he does take a fair/decent contract - Due to Covid I expect that to be less than what he could get on the market in previous years.

If Pearson is undecided, then Benning really needs to trade the guy away for picks. This season is over, I don't remember the last UFA we actually managed to trade away. We could really use those picks, even if it is to go out and buy a different winger. But we can't afford to just do nothing again.
Hansen for Goldy and a 4th
Burrows for Jonathan Dahlen
Vanek for Motte

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
So since they lost Toffoli, they thought that it might fun for this to repeat the following season?

Not sure how this franchise can continue to bleed important players while still try to "improve"

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So since they lost Toffoli, they thought that it might fun for this to repeat the following season?

Not sure how this franchise can continue to bleed important players while still try to "improve"
Bloated contracts for under performing bottom 6 players is the method we're trying right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->