Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

member 290103

The internet feels we lost this trade. Gagner will play with the big club. We didn’t give up a pick so I’m good with it. Who cares.

This marks the first time in your posting history you have been good with something the Canucks have done.

They must be packaging Horvat and Spooner to Calgary for Frolik or something.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we're keeping Spooner up, then I'd rather have kept Gagner and brought him up.

If we're stacking Utica after our injuries heal, then meh, what ever.

If this is to get a player back from that loan deal we made with the Marlies, then smart move I guess?

Benning burying/trading off some of the bad signings that were made (Del Zotto, Nilsson and now Gagner) means progress, right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Spooner was very good in his first two full season in the nhl, then he suddenly fell off a cliff in his mid 20s

Spooner was always bad but picked up a ton of PP points playing in Boston’s top unit PP for a couple years.

If this trade was solely a minor-league move to add a better player to Utica at the same cost, great. Decent move.

If we call up Spooner to play him here at the expense of better players, this move sucks.

Sadly, it sounds like what we’re gonna see is the 2nd option.

Reactions: Ryp37

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm okay with giving spooner a shot in the top-6. Our LW depth is garbage and spooner had been a pretty good offensive player prior to this season. 41 points in 59 games last season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Obviously there's a lot of uncertainty about Baertschi's status...A sideways move..Does not move the needle one way or the other.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Spooner should be able to go up and down from Utica and gives them a #1 C and a call up that can score a little
Adds some organizational depth instead of Gagner playing on the Marlies
Deal makes sense for both players and teams

I like it

Not if he forgets to paper him.

member 290103

Spooner was always bad but picked up a ton of PP points playing in Boston’s top unit PP for a couple years.

If this trade was solely a minor-league move to add a better player to Utica at the same cost, great. Decent move.

If we call up Spooner to play him here at the expense of better players, this move sucks.

For sure it is the 2nd option. Benning has been rumoured to be after Spooner for years.

They even have iMac prepping us for it.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Great, there goes Benning taking away

There's 7 injuries on the roster right now, you'd be happier if they cleaned out the Comets and take away their playoff chances? When you need bodies and you have one that won't play in Utica, you trade him. I don't know you're post history but i think it's a fair guess that you spent the last 2 years complaining about him. What did you think his trade value was after getting cut and refusing to play for Utica? It was a signing that didn't pan out, Big deal. Happened to every team that ever played in the NHL. You guys don't help the Canucks trade anyone when you campaign to tell the world how much they suck. If you were smart, you'd bite your tongue rather than destroy whatever trade value they have left. I'm no Spooner fan but give it a rest with hyper critical crap in a minor ,minor deal. Also when you call JB an idiot 1,000 times a month. The other GM's either think they can fleece him or they don't want to look dumb losing a trade to him. I think the hockey world is taking notice of the work he's done and the only ones that don't want to admit it are the ones that don't want to be wrong after all that effort they put in. All those Benning on Empty, what an effort. Those are some of the stupidest comics i've ever seen. Most of the jokes make zero sense and their arguments are based on rumours and heresay. What an absolute embarrassment to Canucks fans.

Reactions: stampedingviking

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Gagner gonna be on a line with Kassian i guess?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If Spooner heads to Utica instead of some other farm team, I'm fine with this move.

If Spooner pushes out one of the kids because he's about to get the Vey/Granlund treatment, this sucks.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Garbage in, garbage out. You'll find some people who grasp at straws wanting to praise Benning for this. Given their contract situations there's no real loss, but there's no real gain either. Simply Benning bringing in someone who he's familiar with from his Bruins days. Spooner at this point is probably a worse player than Gagner, but neither are going to make any kind of impact here.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Garbage in, garbage out. You'll find some people who grasp at straws wanting to praise Benning for this. Given their contract situations there's no real loss, but there's no real gain either. Simply Benning bringing in someone who he's familiar with from his Bruins days. Spooner at this point is probably a worse player than Gagner, but neither are going to make any kind of impact here.

This. I was happy as I thought spooner was UFA after this but this is literally a nothing move

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Great, there goes Benning taking away

There's 7 injuries on the roster right now, you'd be happier if they cleaned out the Comets and take away their playoff chances? When you need bodies and you have one that won't play in Utica, you trade him. I don't know you're post history but i think it's a fair guess that you spent the last 2 years complaining about him. What did you think his trade value was after getting cut and refusing to play for Utica? It was a signing that didn't pan out, Big deal. Happened to every team that ever played in the NHL. You guys don't help the Canucks trade anyone when you campaign to tell the world how much they suck. If you were smart, you'd bite your tongue rather than destroy whatever trade value they have left. I'm no Spooner fan but give it a rest with hyper critical crap in a minor ,minor deal. Also when you call JB an idiot 1,000 times a month. The other GM's either think they can fleece him or they don't want to look dumb losing a trade to him. I think the hockey world is taking notice of the work he's done and the only ones that don't want to admit it are the ones that don't want to be wrong after all that effort they put in. All those Benning on Empty, what an effort. Those are some of the stupidest comics i've ever seen. Most of the jokes make zero sense and their arguments are based on rumours and heresay. What an absolute embarrassment to Canucks fans.
The Comets haven't had any playoff chances since their first year in existence, the team has been treated like an afterthought since Henning was fired

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If Spooner heads to Utica instead of some other farm team, I'm fine with this move.

If Spooner pushes out one of the kids because he's about to get the Vey/Granlund treatment, this sucks.

What if the "kid" he pushes out is Granlund?? lateral move I guess, but it's about time Granlund sits for a while. He can take Schaller spot in the press box, and Schaller can be waived to Utica.

Maybe they could even get a pick for Granlund. Doesn't seem likely but gm's do nutty things around the deadline.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Seems like Spooner must be damaged goods (concussions???) that is just getting passed around. Was a time when he seemed headed for a decent NHL career and you wonder if he can ever get it back on track. That's's got to be the motivation for some GMs taking a flyer on this player. So far, hope has been fruitless. Right now can't be seen as an NHL player.

Gagner was miserable in Vancouver last year. Absolute trash. Was somewhat better in his brief call up this year but then had a couple of horrible defensive games and was sent back down. Do not see him as an NHL player.

Funny but I remember when the Canucks were decent and that I was always happy to have Gagner on the Oilers b/c he was weak and gave us a better chance to win. Then he ends on the Canucks and I was thinking he symbolized just how far the Canucks had fallen. Thought the Canucks would go into Edmonton (who was beginning to look seemingly better at the time) and get more abused with the physically weak Gagner on their team just like the Canucksd could more easily beat the Oilers when Edmonton had him on their team.

Can't see either player moving the performance needle for either team but prefer Spooner's potential to that of Gagner. That's how bad I think Gagner is.

Reactions: Ryp37

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The idea is supposed to be that a boss who takes care of his employees is more likely to attract new employees at potentially reasonable salaries. This is not limited to hockey. But yeah, in order to achieve ‘reasonable salaries’ the boss needs to have some negotiating skill.

I know what you're saying but in this case I wouldn't think it's really considered 'taking care of your employees' when your pro UFA signing ends up in the AHL in large part because you gave his job to other UFA's the next season. This was stuff Gillis excelled at, but I don't think Benning has any positive currency in this regard. Player agents just love him I'm sure but no vet UFA signs a big contact expecting they'll be on the farm the next season.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Sounds like Spooner will see some NHL time just as an injury fill in and will be in Utica once Sutter or Virtanen are healthy.

Is that better than MacEwan playing 8-9 minutes up here and allowing him to continue to play top minutes on the farm? Maybe both will see action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad