Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
for anyone been following him for some reason care to make long story short what Spooner's been up to?
id like to t hear Benning's words what he brings to the organization that we dont already have vs what he actually does

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
which is nice until people like agents prey on it.

The idea is supposed to be that a boss who takes care of his employees is more likely to attract new employees at potentially reasonable salaries. This is not limited to hockey. But yeah, in order to achieve ‘reasonable salaries’ the boss needs to have some negotiating skill.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
This team has more than 3 lines of bottom six forwards, not including rookies and players on IR:

Goldobin
Roussel
Virtanen
Eriksson
Granlund
Motte
Leivo
Beagle
Schaller

They need this guy...why?

Reactions: mstad101

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Key to this deal is an upgrade in speed. I think it’s why Gagner eventually washed out of here and why Spooner may have a chance of sticking in the top6 for a time.

Gagner is slightly the better player, but he can’t move quick enough for that to bear out.

This deal is about speed IMO.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
The internet feels we lost this trade. Gagner will play with the big club. We didn’t give up a pick so I’m good with it. Who cares.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Looks like Benning and his people read the HF Trade rumors board cause this is the exact same trade that someone had suggested just a few weeks back.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This is a win for the Canucks simply because Gagner was a loss for them. At least if Spooner does end up back in the minors, hopefully Benning and Co. will make him play for Utica and not loan him somewhere closer to his home.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Key to this deal is an upgrade in speed. I think it’s why Gagner eventually washed out of here and why Spooner may have a chance of sticking in the top6 for a time.

Gagner is slightly the better player, but he can’t move quick enough for that to bear out.

This deal is about speed IMO.

I literally know nothing about Spooner, other than he wasn't working out in Edmonton... which doesn't exactly bode well for his chances here, but... I guess the hope is new scenery/different usage = better player?

I felt like regardless of what he may have done in past years, this year Gagner seemed to be alright on the Canucks roster and seemed to be a well liked teammate, so from a human interest perspective it's nice to see him get his chance back in the NHL.

Team wise, having Gagner on the Marlies did nothing for this organization so at least it's a plus for Utica regardless of who is going down out of Spooner, Mac, Gaudette, Granlund, Schaller.

Though honestly it should be the bottom two out of those options.

Definitely curious to see if Spooner is just done or if he'll get the post-Oilers boost.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I literally know nothing about Spooner, other than he wasn't working out in Edmonton... which doesn't exactly bode well for his chances here, but... I guess the hope is new scenery/different usage = better player?

I felt like regardless of what he may have done in past years, this year Gagner seemed to be alright on the Canucks roster and seemed to be a well liked teammate, so from a human interest perspective it's nice to see him get his chance back in the NHL.

Team wise, having Gagner on the Marlies did nothing for this organization so at least it's a plus for Utica regardless of who is going down out of Spooner, Mac, Gaudette, Granlund, Schaller.

Though honestly it should be the bottom two out of those options.

Definitely curious to see if Spooner is just done or if he'll get the post-Oilers boost.
Spooner was very good in his first two full season in the nhl, then he suddenly fell off a cliff in his mid 20s

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Good deal for Canucks org.

Spooner will also get the " thank god im out of Edmonton" boost that will allow him to play better.

Such boosts has been seen on Caguullia hall eberle

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Ideally we can squeeze in one more asset
But that’s asking too much from JB

now why would you guys think you'd be able to get an extra asset for a player in the AHL? Just curious. Two players in the AHL on the same contract. Swap of contracts that neither team wants and organizations admitting they made a mistake.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad