Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well, at least we're not paying Gagner to play for the Marlies anymore.
Yeah this is clearly a better than a AHLer for AHLer as the other stiff wasn't even playing for our affiliate. At the very least, the Comets get a warm body. As much as it pains me, I'd say this a good trade for Benning (costs Aquaman a little more money, but he can afford it).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Heh, we’ve been talking about Benning going after Spooner for at least 18 months. Was surprised they didn’t take him of waivers but this makes more sense in terms of salary.

Only real downside is that there’s a very good chance they keep Spooner for next season whereas I had been assuming they were going to buy out Gagner.

Reactions: timw33 and Hansen

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Something tells me there are some bigger moves ahead, Spooner replaces Gaudette, Gaudette stays with the big club, Sutter on the move.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Don't have an issue with this trade so long as he doesn't take the roster spot of Gaudette long term. Seems like it was done to give Gagner a fresh start somewhere else.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn’t underestimate the fact that players see these kind of moves positively. Here is a GM who found an AHL team close to a verteren demoted players’ family and then found a place to give him another shot in the NHL. Spooner sucks but who knows? It’s not as if we gave up anything (and I mean anything since Gags wasn’t even in Utica). People can complain that Gags didn’t go to Utica but it probably isn’t just a coincidence that when TO needs to move a player (Leivo) they looked to Van first. At the end of the day these are human beings with their biases, and people remember the people that helped them. This is especially important when you’re not exactly a genius who can out-think others with unbalanced analysis to arrive at calculated outcomes.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Meh

Another underperforming undersized skill player. I think it's a smart use of getting rid of an asset for a positive asset. Hopefully this helps our AHL team and this is good organization depth. But the Canucks have a stupid fascination with these players.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
haha Benning always wanted Spooner didn't he? At least this time it didn't cost us anything meaningful.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I wouldn’t underestimate the fact that players see these kind of moves positively. Here is a GM who found an AHL team close to a verteren demoted players’ family and then found a place to give him another shot in the NHL. Spooner sucks but who knows? It’s not as if we gave up anything (and I mean anything since Gags wasn’t even in Utica). People can complain that Gags didn’t go to Utica but it probably isn’t just a coincidence that when TO needs to move a player (Leivo) they looked to Van first. At the end of the day these are human beings with their biases, and people remember the people that helped them. This is especially important when you’re not exactly a genius who can out-think others with unbalanced analysis to arrive at calculated outcomes.

which is nice until people like agents prey on it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is bad because now Spooner will be the new Linden Vey and we'll have to watch him get meaningful minutes, despite being a scrub, on a nightly basis for an extended period.

At least I could forget Gagner existed. Spooner has roster immunity due to a previous relationship with management.

If he replaces Granlund or Schaller it won't be as bad, but I expect he replaces one of the young guys.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is bad because now Spooner will be the new Linden Vey and we'll have to watch him get meaningful minutes, despite being a scrub, on a nightly basis for an extended period.

At least I could forget Gagner existed. Spooner has roster immunity due to a previous relationship with management.

If he replaces Granlund or Schaller it won't be as bad, but I expect he replaces one of the young guys.

This is the part that is worrisome.

It looks like they might finally be ready to turf Markus Granlund, so say hello to 200 games of Ryan Spooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad