Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm guessing Spooner stays up and Schaller goes down. Wonder if ownership didn't want Benning to bury multiple mistake contracts in the AHL, so this is a way around that.

And yes, this will help Utica in one way or another.. but Gagner should have been there anyway, so not giving any credit for that.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Don't really get the purpose of this deal from either side, both players stink and they have virtually identical contracts so there aren't really money implications (besides the Canucks saving a minuscule amount of cap space).

Seems like Jimbo is out here just making trades for the sake of making trades in an attempt to appease people.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Don't really get the purpose of this deal from either side, both players stink and they have virtually identical contracts so there aren't really money implications (besides the Canucks saving a minuscule amount of cap space).
Edmonton prob wants to try gagner in the top 6 bc theyre desperate and he has some actual skills.
Benning gets a real player he will likely try in the top 9 but if not atleast utica gets a real player

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
So in Oilers' perspective that makes it Eberle for Gagner, wow. Hopefully Spooner doesn't get a long term gift spot in Vancouver if he gets called up.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Have some people already forgotten Gagner's play here?. He flat out sucked.

Spooner will probably suck also, but maybe there's still something there. Before that Ranger deal, Spooner was having himself a pretty decent breakout year in Boston at the age of 25. For the price of 1 Sam Gagner, it's worth finding out. Can't imagine anybody else was calling about Gagner.

Reactions: Red

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I think the Canucks might actually give Spooner a shot here before sending him to the A, unfortunately there really isn't anything there because is out on Spooner at this point, he's absolute garbage.

Reactions: Jyrki21

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm guessing Spooner stays up and Schaller goes down. Wonder if ownership didn't want Benning to bury multiple mistake contracts in the AHL, so this is a way around that.

And yes, this will help Utica in one way or another.. but Gagner should have been there anyway, so not giving any credit for that.
All 3 have 1 way deals. End result is the same if they send one down.

Reactions: geebaan

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think there's anything probably about it. Spooner was having himself a Schaller-tier season.

Oh man and at gagners cap hit; I’m certain that hanger is a better player than schaller so to downgrade from gagners skill (as little as it was) to Tim schaller for the same salary is mind boggling.

If he goes to Utica primarily then whatever....

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
All 3 have 1 way deals. End result is the same if they send one down.

There was some talk earlier this season that ownership didn't want the team burying multiple bad contracts in the minors and that's why Schaller was still up. Now they can try out Spooner and put Schaller down in the minors if they want.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I hope Spooner will surprise some people here.

I hope so too, however I think Spooner will have to even surprise himself at this point. He's a known commodity at 27 years old and can't even make the Oilers lineup...not to mention his defensive game is likely going to be a problem for Green.

Reactions: CRDragon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->