Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Dickinson & 2nd (2024) to Chicago for Riley Stillman

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Canucks aren't trading Boeser or Garland, even with Kuzmenko signed long term. The NHL is about to to go through a significant cap rise and right now is the time to collect these value type of players to compete.

The only players that will be traded from the roster is Pearson, Myers, and/or Poolman.

Canucks defence has good depth but it's core is limited to Hughes, OEL, and likely Rathbone. The Canucks need to remove Pearson/Myers/Poolman and add 1 more high calibre top 4 defenceman.
The salary cap is only going up by 1 million or so next summer: the bigger projected raise is for the season after. If Kuzmenko breaks out and scores 60-70 points the Canucks will have to move somebody to re-sign him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've seen a lot of posts wondering why Dickinson was moved instead of Poolman.

1) Poolman has an extra year and would have been substantially more expensive to move.
2) There is probably a substantial chance that Poolman will eventually end up on LTIR. While it's not something you 'hope' will happen, they have to be aware of that outcome and that they might get bailed out of that contract at some point without having to trade assets.
3) Poolman plays RD and moving out depth there right now might not be the best idea.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle

1) Poolman has an extra year and would have been substantially more expensive to move.
2) There is probably a substantial chance that Poolman will eventually end up on LTIR. While it's not something you 'hope' will happen, they have to be aware of that outcome and that they might get bailed out of that contract at some point without having to trade assets.
3) Poolman plays RD and moving out depth there right now might not be the best idea.
yep, you nailed it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Also....

4) his buyout penalty for next year is only 500k.
5) Poolman is a capable defender when healthy and/or if he can get back to previous form

The trashing of this player has merits but he also is a decent 3rd pair defenseman when he's been healthy and in form. TP has missed some substantial playing time and been hurt.

Some people are so quick to make excuses for EP40 or others due to injury yet want nothing to do with having some patience for letting a RIGHT SHOT DEFENSEMAN get back to form.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also....

4) his buyout penalty for next year is only 500k.
5) Poolman is a capable defender when healthy and/or if he can get back to previous form

The trashing of this player has merits but he also is a decent 3rd pair defenseman when he's been healthy and in form. TP has missed some substantial playing time and been hurt.

Some people are so quick to make excuses for EP40 or others due to injury yet want nothing to do with having some patience for letting a RIGHT SHOT DEFENSEMAN get back to form.

I think less of an 'in form' Poolman than you do, but otherwise yeah.

I'm fine with dumping Poolman but between Dickinson and Poolman, Poolman actually plays a position of need and may be able to do it somewhat competently so there's less of an immediate need to ship him out.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Canucks aren't trading Boeser or Garland, even with Kuzmenko signed long term. The NHL is about to to go through a significant cap rise and right now is the time to collect these value type of players to compete.

The only players that will be traded from the roster is Pearson, Myers, and/or Poolman.

Canucks defence has good depth but it's core is limited to Hughes, OEL, and likely Rathbone. The Canucks need to remove Pearson/Myers/Poolman and add 1 more high calibre top 4 defenceman.
as others have pointed to you cannot retain them all if Kuzmenko is worth keeping.

Miller Horvat Hoglander and Kuzmenko are all going to cost about 10 million in increases with only 3.6 in Bonus/Buyouts clearing and a 1 million increase in cap. Poolman bought out could add 2 million. 6.6 wont get it done and there will be some new bonuses (2.165 possibly) to contend with

Boeser or Garland will have to go or were not keeping one of Bo or Kuz.

As much as Myers is a overpayment if you lose Myers and retain all those forwards plus buyout Poolman who the hell plays RD? Schenn Dermott Burroughs Juulsen?? And Schenn Burroughs are UFA and Dermott is RFA so if they are good this year they will want more.

The year after they can get a bit creative with a 3 million increase and Pearson Myers ending but Pettersson and Podkolzin will eat up a huge chunk of that so you can see why were in a tough situation when it comes to adding value to our lineup without ELCs or RFAs that are cost controlled. And Pearson and Myers still play a lot of good minutes without being detriments and will need at least comparable or better replacements to get better

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and andora

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What would you do?
:rolleyes:

More of what they said they were going to and basically what everyone wanted to see when dumb jim finally left and less of what weve seen so far and making up nonsense excuses as to why its all good and fine and almost a year into new mgmt not much has changed, through 4 or 5 major nhl dates that could be planned ahead for.

Other teams seem to be able to accomplish things, but here in Vancouver a 2nd for toughness is somehow good enough and we need to wait and see more and more.

Sit and complain.
No you're right this trade was genius and inspiring, mgmt is super duper impressive so far

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Im excited to see Stillman. Hard nosed, hard hitting defenseman that can skate decently. Also only 24 & could perhaps grow with our group if he finds his niche.

Not expecting the world here, but I agree with management's assesment that we need to be harder to play against.

Price aside I think this could be a pretty good pickup.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

More of what they said they were going to and basically what everyone wanted to see when dumb jim finally left and less of what weve seen so far and making up nonsense excuses as to why its all good and fine and almost a year into new mgmt not much has changed, through 4 or 5 major nhl dates that could be planned ahead for.

Other teams seem to be able to accomplish things, but here in Vancouver a 2nd for toughness is somehow good enough and we need to wait and see more and more.

No you're right this trade was genius and inspiring, mgmt is super duper impressive so far
Its not for toughness though....its for flexibility

also your desire to take steps back to surge later under a different timeline when Pod EP40 Demko Kuzmenko Hughes etc are all making their peaks comes with an assumption you can replace Miller Horvat Boeser Garland OEL or anybody you can move without losing your picks with better players and better contract values. Demko is about to turn 27 and EP40 24 how long are you willing to wait for draft picks to be good enough to outplay 23-32 aged star players to get to the promised land?

If you think your getting young blue chips for 1yrs worth or Horvat or Miller or Garland and Boeser i dont know what to say other than your reality of the current landscape is skewed.

A lot of these players have not lived up to their potential with sub par coaching sub par development and sub par depth players and support. You dont have any faith that they can get them back to peak performance and deal from positions of strength vs flogging high salaries to swing at players from teams that cut them away because they became too expensive when the cap increases significantly??

Give us some context at least of what a successful team looks like on paper in 3-4yrs if following your plan. And you dont need to include 10-15 forwards 6-8 defenseman because we can all assume we find the necessary cheap depth

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

you saw this I assume. It explains why they made this trade. I hate giving up draft picks, but it was necessary.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Its not for toughness though....its for flexibility

also your desire to take steps back to surge later under a different timeline when Pod EP40 Demko Kuzmenko Hughes etc are all making their peaks comes with an assumption you can replace Miller Horvat Boeser Garland OEL or anybody you can move without losing your picks with better players and better contract values. Demko is about to turn 27 and EP40 24 how long are you willing to wait for draft picks to be good enough to outplay 23-32 aged star players to get to the promised land?

If you think your getting young blue chips for 1yrs worth or Horvat or Miller or Garland and Boeser i dont know what to say other than your reality of the current landscape is skewed.

A lot of these players have not lived up to their potential with sub par coaching sub par development and sub par depth players and support. You dont have any faith that they can get them back to peak performance and deal from positions of strength vs flogging high salaries to swing at players from teams that cut them away because they became too expensive when the cap increases significantly??

Give us some context at least of what a successful team looks like on paper in 3-4yrs if following your plan. And you dont need to include 10-15 forwards 6-8 defenseman because we can all assume we find the necessary cheap depth
This was the only option for "flexibility" in October and this trade was "necessary"....
As if they were forced into this and havent had almost a year to make progress.

I never said anything about surge later or blue chippers or the rest of that nonsense.

Just that so far little has been inspiring.

What have they accomplished thats been progressive or impressive?

Not much if anything above the basics you'd expect by any nhl level mgmt..

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds

I wouldn't agree completely. Kuz is a one year contract and the team doesn't know how much it will cost to sign him next year if he resigns. But overall I agree.they aren't dealing Garland or Boeser. Pearson has value on the team because he can fill in on any line. Myers can be valuable on the ice at times but Poolman isn't any better than the other 5-6 D-Men they have. Schenn is good but you need to limit his minutes and not overwork him. Myers probably holds the most value in a trade because of his offence and most of his contract having been paid already. If they could do a package and get a top 4 RHD they could probably get away with a leak link in the top 4, because Rathbone would be your #5.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This was the only option for "flexibility" in October and this trade was "necessary"....
As if they were forced into this and havent had almost a year to make progress.

I never said anything about surge later or blue chippers or the rest of that nonsense.

Just that so far little has been inspiring.

What have they accomplished thats been progressive or impressive?

Not much if anything above the basics you'd expect by any nhl level mgmt..
Well I guess it depends on what KUZMENKO MICHAYEV Dermott Stillman Martin at 9.2 million vs Dickinson Chiasson Hamonic Hunt Halak at 10.7 amounts to?

Plus a vote of confidence to the players and a better support staff vs the maniacal instability and mixed messaging of the last few yrs.

What moves in particular would you have done that would have been bold?

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021

Sounds like it's more of a disconnect between what you hoped for and what has actually happened. Life is like that. Seems like PA and crew are doing the best they can with what they've got... As you can see D like Valimaki that got put on waivers get snapped up right away - where we sit in the waiver wire nothing was going to come to us. What with Meyers out and EDM trying to take liberties in the PS game in Abby, Stillman makes sense to me + dick out.

Reactions: MarkMM

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Sounds like it's more of a disconnect between what you hoped for and what has actually happened. Life is like that. Seems like PA and crew are doing the best they can with what they've got... As you can see D like Valimaki that got put on waivers get snapped up right away - where we sit in the waiver wire nothing was going to come to us. What with Meyers out and EDM trying to take liberties in the PS game in Abby, Stillman makes sense to me + dick out.
Keep your dick in

Reactions: Metalwood

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
What would you do?
The most obvious strategy would be to do what Zona, habs, and hawks are doing but we never seem to get logical management unfortunately.

We are definitely not where Ottawa and the rags are where I would endorse going for it. Even the devils and kings I would support.

We are literally worse shape than Dallas , jets, and Nashville the mushy middle teams. Should have definitely taken a step back and traded all three of Boeser, Horvat, and miller. Too late now.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Keep your dick in
1665459724956.png

• Haha
Reactions: Metalwood

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
The most obvious strategy would be to do what Zona, habs, and hawks are doing but we never seem to get logical management unfortunately.

We are definitely not where Ottawa and the rags are where I would endorse going for it. Even the devils and kings I would support.

We are literally worse shape than Dallas , jets, and Nashville the mushy middle teams. Should have definitely taken a step back and traded all three of Boeser, Horvat, and miller. Too late now.

Such sadness, were are not the f*cken the worst. Not great but not the worst. Has not been 100 years like it was for a certain baseball team before they won. Anywho , facts we're suck at #8 :) , Buff is worst and I am a Bills fan so shoot me.

LIST OF LOSERS

But since we are hockey fans , yeah we suckers :

We suck at hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad