Rumor: Canucks Targeting Dante Fabbro

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Shocker...

Ive been saying this the day he decided to go to NCAA... His dad rolls with Canucks ownership and i figured its just a matter of time till he is a Canuck

Nucks will just sign him as a UFA after he graduates next year

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Virtanen or goldobin are probably the only pieces that would both interest the preds and make sense to acquire and both would need an add

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Still not a big deal, guy still could sign this summer

This is entirely dependant on whether or not the college prospect is ready for NHL play, even it's only part time. The spectre of being able to leave as a UFA the next season the college players leverage against their NHL team, but they have significant financial incentive to sign at the end of a college season and join the tail end of the NHL season because whether UFA or RFA they still have to sign that ELC. For Fabbro to sign now burns a year or two off his ELC expiry, and aspiring NHL players may only have a short window to make the big bucks so the sooner so this is far more significant than choosing where you want to play in another year and a half. If a college draftee goes the UFA route, it's because he wasn't ready for pro until his 4th year.

What that basically means for this rumour is if Vancouver is 'targeting' Fabbro now there's no point in considering the UFA angle at the moment, it would have to be a hockey trade. And personally I don't see anything that fits right now...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I mean people are throwing Woo and Tanev into proposals. We have almost 0 depth at RD, we need to add Fabbro, or even someone, to it. Stetcher or Gudbranson, sure, they're replacable, but Tanev and Woo aren't guys I think we should be giving up. Any other position is fair game, but I don't know who we can offer for Fabbro.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That would be amazing for the Canucks but there’s an article on NHL.com that says he wants to play in Nashville and he won’t become a free agent.

If we had to trade for him I would offer Sutter at 50% and Goldobin. No 1st round picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah just wait til he leaves for a compensatory pick. That'll help the Cup run.

Let me know when you choke to Winnipeg again please.

Notice how I also said "as a base", jackass.
Even as a Canucks fan myself I don’t see any way Nashville would trade fabbro to Vancouver. There isn’t a match for what the Preds need right now. There are other higher quality forwards that will be available for them at the tdl to upgrade their offense.

You need to consider that as well. Preds don’t have to send him to Vancouver.

College guys sign either in March or April when their seasons end. Unless they are doing the ufa route and have to wait until August. So no one knows what fabbro wants to do. He’s committed to BU until their season ends.

Only realistic way Canucks land fabbro is like a 3 way deal where they send Tanev or something to another team which in turns sends a forward to Nashville. Good luck with that at the tdl.

Reactions: Tex76

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Shocker...

Ive been saying this the day he decided to go to NCAA... His dad rolls with Canucks ownership and i figured its just a matter of time till he is a Canuck

Nucks will just sign him as a UFA after he graduates next year
Wasn't that also the belief with Kerfoot though? Who also comes from a very well off Vancouver family in the same circles.

I know this is basically the same logic as Tavares won't sign with the Leafs because Stamkos didn't. I just don't feel it makes him coming home a lock.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah don't see this working. If we are trading Fabbro it will be for pieces the Canucks don't really have or wouldn't let go of to begin with.

member 290103

Virtanen is 22, his career high in points is 20 and is currently playing at a .36PPG pace. I'd rather we just play Hartman more.

Virtanen is not a guy who’s e er going to rack up points. He can punish guys though...hes as strong on his skates as anyone. In a playoff series with a Winnipeg he could be huge. He’s also nearly as quick as any player in the NHL and should get you 20 goals per at his peak.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Wasn't that also the belief with Kerfoot though? Who also comes from a very well off Vancouver family in the same circles.

I know this is basically the same logic as Tavares won't sign with the Leafs because Stamkos didn't. I just don't feel it makes him coming home a lock.

Kerfoot did what was best for his career. The Canucks had Bo Horvat, Sedin, and EP coming at center so he wasn’t going to crack the top 6. The best opportunity for him was in Colorado.

If Fabbro follows what Kerfoot did and opts for the team that gives him the best opportunity then the Canucks blue line would be a much better option than Nashville’s. Fabbro could just as easily see 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes from the get go depending on his readiness. There’s no one in his way really because he plays on the RS and the Canucks are lacking at that position.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Kerfoot did what was best for his career. The Canucks had Bo Horvat, Sedin, and EP coming at center so he wasn’t going to crack the top 6. The best opportunity for him was in Colorado.

If Fabbro follows what Kerfoot did and opts for the team that gives him the best opportunity then the Canucks blue line would be a much better option than Nashville’s. Fabbro could just as easily see 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes from the get go depending on his readiness. There’s no one in his way really.
Even with Nashville he's not in a bad situation. He plays on the bottom pair until the expansion draft, at which point we move either Subban or Ellis and he has a top 4 spot and can play with either Ekholm or Josi. Pretty solid position to be in.

Reactions: Clayonator

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If Fabbro follows what Kerfoot did and opts for the team that gives him the best opportunity then the Canucks blue line would be a much better option than Nashville’s. Fabbro could just as easily see 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes from the get go depending on his readiness. There’s no one in his way really because he plays on the RS and the Canucks are lacking at that position.
Let’s also consider his development as a player. He’s a junior at BU. Put up 18 points as a FR, 29 as a SO, currently at 21 in 23, so on pace for his best offensive season.

His development likely is best served challenging himself at the next level be it at the A or NHL. Not sure returning to BU for a SR year helps him develop his game. That’s the flip side as well.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

How so? If you're a guy getting out of college wanting to start your nhl career wouldnt you want to learn and play along side Nashville's D?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
How so? If you're a guy getting out of college wanting to start your nhl career wouldnt you want to learn and play along side Nashville's D?

Of course but if there’s no upward mobility I would think twice about getting into a situation where I’m forced to stay an apprentice for 5+ years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad