Rumor: Canucks Targeting Dante Fabbro

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why would he want to develop slowly but properly with Nashville - a team known for developing defensemen when he can just jump in the deep end with a struggling team? It's worked out for guys like Justin Schultz and Mike Reilly.

Reactions: hoyhoy42

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Why would he want to develop slowly but properly with Nashville - a team known for developing defensemen when he can just jump in the deep end with a struggling team? It's worked out for guys like Justin Schultz and Mike Reilly.
I assume because of money and opportunity. Nashville will be alot harder of a dcore to crack than Vancouver.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
True but going with Nashville may well provide more money and opportunity in the long run versus just his first contract.

More opportunity, posssibly! More money, doubtful. With Subban they have 4 premier defenseman. Isnt Nashville looking to get rid of one (likely Subban)? I doubt anyone wants to tie up 30-35 million in 4 defenseman. With Vancouver, I think he has a better chance of cracking their roster and Vancouver is slated to have much more cap space in the next 2-4 years to pay Fabbro top 4 money. By then Edler, Tanev, Eriksson and likely Gudbrandson (approx. 20 million) will be off the books and realistically only need to pay Hughes, Boeser, Petterson, and possibly Juolevi.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
True but going with Nashville may well provide more money and opportunity in the long run versus just his first contract.
Jossi contract expires in 2020 so expect him to be up there in cap hit. Likely means that they move off Subban at that point.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I assume because of money and opportunity. Nashville will be alot harder of a dcore to crack than Vancouver.

Not really. He spends his ELC years in the 3rd pair, cuts his teeth watching/ learning fromthe big 4(and playing up any time there is an injury), and if he plays like hes ready for the top 4 Poile probably lets Subban move on at the end of his deal or let's Seattle have him if Fabbro is really impressive

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Well it’s all about playing time in the first contract as no one can offer a different contract than the next team when it comes to these NCAA free agents. It’s an ELC, usually 2 years I believe and unless you’re a dick like Uncle Lou who doesn’t give rookie bonuses it’s the same contract the next GM is offering. It’s all about can the guy step into your lineup, these guys have paid 4 years of dues with the NCAA and usually want to make NHL money, doing so in Vancouver is a lot easier for him than Nashville where he MIGHT be their #7 or even #8. Whereas in Vancouver he could be the #5 or #6 at that point

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Love the sarcasm... you’re not wrong. Nashville is a breeding ground for stud d men. However, the Canucks have the making of a decent d core themselves.

Hughes comes in March. Hutton and Stetcher are developing quickly. Edler and Tanev are solid.

I despise Pouliot and Gudbranson.

The Canucks also have Woo and Rathbone.

They are a Fabbro away from being a very solid group. At the end of the day there’s 2-3 open spots next year on the Canucks d line.

Nashville has:

Josi-Subban
Ekholm-Ellis
Hamhuis for two more years
Weber for two more years
Irwin

Allard waiting in the wings...

Where does Fabbro fit? The top 6 is set for at least 2-3 more years.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
No, it isnt.
Hamhuis only has one more year.
YWeb only has one more year.
If Fabbro is good enough he bumps Yweb down to the 7 spot.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Love the sarcasm... you’re not wrong. Nashville is a breeding ground for stud d men. However, the Canucks have the making of a decent d core themselves.

Hughes comes in March. Hutton and Stetcher are developing quickly. Edler and Tanev are solid.

I despise Pouliot and Gudbranson.

The Canucks also have Woo and Rathbone.

They are a Fabbro away from being a very solid group. At the end of the day there’s 2-3 open spots next year on the Canucks d line.

Nashville has:

Josi-Subban
Ekholm-Ellis
Hamhuis for two more years
Weber for two more years
Irwin

Allard waiting in the wings...

Where does Fabbro fit? The top 6 is set for at least 2-3 more years.

I guess you didnt get the memo about the incoming expansion draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Fabbro goes back to Boston University for his senior season, wouldn't he he able to sign as a UFA anywhere in the NHL by August of 2020? Seems to me the Preds have lost a graduating NCAA player before.

If the Canucks or anyone expends assets to acquire him, they'd better make sure they can actually sign him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
More opportunity, posssibly! More money, doubtful. With Subban they have 4 premier defenseman. Isnt Nashville looking to get rid of one (likely Subban)? I doubt anyone wants to tie up 30-35 million in 4 defenseman. With Vancouver, I think he has a better chance of cracking their roster and Vancouver is slated to have much more cap space in the next 2-4 years to pay Fabbro top 4 money. By then Edler, Tanev, Eriksson and likely Gudbrandson (approx. 20 million) will be off the books and realistically only need to pay Hughes, Boeser, Petterson, and possibly Juolevi.

If we are able to keep Fabbro, don't be surprised if one of the Big 4 is traded this summer. Probably Subban .

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wrap this up boys. Sounds like he will sign with Nashville at the end of his season.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad