Rumor: Canucks Targeting Dante Fabbro

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
From what I've heard Fabbro would happily sign with Nashville, just saying

Weber was his favourite player growing up, Nashville his favourite team, and he has raved about their development system

I honestly think he is more likely to sign with them than almost any team that would acquire him... Fabbro is good but its not like 3rd pair duties are below him as a starting point. Lots of 3rd pair guys play big roles and if he is good enough he will take on more minutes

All that said, he is a good trade chip and I think he could be available... I just dont think the whole "free agent" thing is something the Preds are or should be particularly worried about
I think we all expect Fabbro to sign immediately after his college season is done (aside from a few people who seem to conflate their Vesey PTSD with this completely separate case). He has followed a good trajectory so far, I don't know that there would have been any value in trying to get him to sign any earlier or why anybody would have concerns on that front at this point. Everything seems to be tracking nicely with Fabbro so far.

He also has a pretty good "in" with the roster the way it is right now. There is a clear opening in the #6 slot at RD. And there aren't a lot of college D who can step into that kind of spot in the NHL right away. Plus with the Seattle expansion coming, his road into the top-4 is nicely paved. As long as he can perform. He's actually a perfect insurance piece for the Preds in that respect. Subban and Ellis are not looking great right now as long-term pieces for the Preds. Fabbro should have a pretty solid chance at replacing one of them. As long as he can perform.

Now that said, the Preds are ostensibly in a contention window and aiming for a Cup win. And don't have many good prospects to offer up in any deadline deals.

The Preds WILL be seeking a top-6 scoring winger at the trade deadline. I think they'll be ultra-reluctant to part with Fabbro even so, given all the above. They kind of already made the call on their D future when they traded Girard to shore up the #2C spot. I don't see them fully emptying out by trading Fabbro also. It should take a Stone/Panarin type of acquisition with a lead on re-signing them long term for any Fabbro trade to transpire. Vancouver is not going to be involved in that.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
A prospect swap for Juolevi is probably a bit more than I'd want to give up but is a fair deal. Juolevi showed well in the AHL even though he was just coming off major surgery, and then had to get surgery on his knee. The primary criticism with him has been his lack of physical engagement but I think the injuries may have had an effect. Despite a lot of setbacks I think he'll be a solid 3/4 with the potential to be more.

But since we have Hughes, Hutton and the probability of resigning Edler on the LHS, trading a lefty for a righty seems reasonable.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
A prospect swap for Juolevi is probably a bit more than I'd want to give up but is a fair deal. Juolevi showed well in the AHL even though he was just coming off major surgery, and then had to get surgery on his knee. The primary criticism with him has been his lack of physical engagement but I think the injuries may have had an effect. Despite a lot of setbacks I think he'll be a solid 3/4 with the potential to be more.

But since we have Hughes, Hutton and the probability of resigning Edler on the LHS, trading a lefty for a righty seems reasonable.
I think we're fine thanks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not really common at all amongst 1st rounders.
He was taken in round 1 in 2016. There’s still Jake Bean, Olli Juolevi, Morin that also have not made the nhl. If he signed after his sophomore year he’d likely end up in the ahl this season. So he opted to return to BU which is a strong program.

He can sign once his season is over. Rick is just spitballing. Realistically, I don’t see the Canucks having anything the predators would want for their playoff run. Preds know that Josi can be extended this off season and will want a massive bump from his $4 million per. So the time to win is now. Preds IMO would want more scoring, but don’t see a bet on the Canucks that is a match. Sutter is a checker more than scorer. Unless the Preds have interest in Sven Baertschi, there’s no one else.

Most NCAA guys don’t want to play in the AHL. Would rather do another year in college and then sign at the end of the season to burn their elc year.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Damn Preds no how to draft d man and goalies. Imagine if they Preds still had Ryan Suter and Shea Weber with their current dman excluding Subban.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Not a Canucks fan but live in Vancouver and half follow the team.

Fabbro would help their d in a huge huge way.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
TOR should be all over Fabbro if NSH is considering dealing him over the fear of him not signing.

I'm sure NSH would prefer trade him East as well.

I would imagine 30 teams will be interested. Won't be cheap.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Don't forget there is a compensatory pick attached to Fabbro if he doesn't sign before his draft pick rights expire. It sets the minimum trade value for Fabbro's rights.

If the Predators don't sign him before August 15, 2020, they will get the 49th OA pick in the 2021 draft as compensation for not signing a 1st round pick per the CBA.

The Preds need to get a return that is at least better that pick to make it worth their time to trade his rights.

Of course a lesser draft pick in a more recent draft or a prospect that has already turned pro could be more valuable than a 2nd in 2021. Just depends on the Preds needs.

And yes that compensatory pick will go to the acquiring team if Fabbro's rights are traded and he doesn't sign with the new team.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

This could be doable if the Preds have a need for a LHS D prospect and have info that Fabnro might not sign.If not,Preds wouldn’t have much incentive to make this deal.

Any interest from Nashville fans for something around Sven Baertschi and a different D prospect? We have a few LHS B level prospects who could be NHL ready by next year.
Our RHS D depth is pretty weak though,not much to see here except Jett Woo and he’s at least a couple years away.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What can Vancouver realistically offer Nashville for them to consider moving Fabbro outside of Vancouver’s first?

I don’t see the need for a lot of pieces Vancouver has in Nashville outside of Boeser/maybe Beartschi?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
This could be doable if the Preds have a need for a LHS D prospect and have info that Fabnro might not sign.If not,Preds wouldn’t have much incentive to make this deal.

Any interest from Nashville fans for something around Sven Baertschi and a different D prospect? We have a few LHS B level prospects who could be NHL ready by next year.
Our RHS D depth is pretty weak though,not much to see here except Jett Woo and he’s at least a couple years away.
No.

Also, with Fabbro as our best, and only clear-cut, NHL-caliber D prospect, and having 2 RHD and 2 LHD currently in the top 4, handedness isn't really a consideration at all.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's reluctant to sign probably because once he does he has to turn pro. A lot of guys that go the NCAA route take all 4 years in at college

Guys of Fabbros calibre always sign ahead of their graduation

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Vancouver wouldn't be the only team. I highly suspect if there's even a whiff of Nashville shopping Fabbro, there'll be a bunch of teams tossing their hat in the ring.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Considering Nashville wants to go for another Cup run, and they'll need more scoring more than anything, what makes sense is Baertschi as a basis for a deal.

But the Canucks swapping Baertschi means they will need to get another forward from another source.

If they deal Baertschi for Fabbro, that means that Tanev/Edler would need to be dealt for a forward. Trading Baertschi without a plan to bring another forward in would be a poor idea.

Ideally, you would hope you could trade lesser assets for Fabbro, but then why would Nashville do that?

But dealing Tanev+Baertschi is untenable as long as the Canucks are in a playoff race... tricky.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Considering Nashville wants to go for another Cup run, and they'll need more scoring more than anything, what makes sense is Baertschi as a basis for a deal.

But the Canucks swapping Baertschi means they will need to get another forward from another source.

If they deal Baertschi for Fabbro, that means that Tanev/Edler would need to be dealt for a forward. Trading Baertschi without a plan to bring another forward in would be a poor idea.

Ideally, you would hope you could trade lesser assets for Fabbro, but then why would Nashville do that?

But dealing Tanev+Baertschi is untenable as long as the Canucks are in a playoff race... tricky.
If Nashville needs to use fabbro to load up for the playoffs and upgrade their offense, I think there are better options for them to target than what the Canucks could offer.

Canucks best trade chips are Edler and Tanev to return a prospect like Fabbro which the predators do not need.

They need scoring. So the fit isn’t there. There are pending ufas like staal, nyquist, duchene, stone, etc that would be better adds for Nashville if the price is fabbro.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Fabbro is not moving for Sven f***ing Baertschi. :laugh:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
fabbro might want this since he may have to serve an ahl apprenticeship with the preds. canucks certainly want it.

but the canucks do not have a forward available that poile would pay a top prospect to get, and poile is not exactly an impatient impulsive guy.

so to me this only makes sense if the preds are secretly down on fabbro or poile has a rare case of gudbranson fever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad