Friedman: Canucks targeting a young dman?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Jeez. Some guys really don't catch breaks. Had he been looking solid before then? Damn y'all could have had Sergachev. At least your next 5th overall pick was way better
I believe it’s 5 out of 6 of the next picks have become regular NHL players from that draft. No way you slice to OJ pick, it’s bad. What’s worse is they literally have nothing to show for that draft in 2016, zero players turning pro or making impacts

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jeez. Some guys really don't catch breaks. Had he been looking solid before then? Damn y'all could have had Sergachev. At least your next 5th overall pick was way better
Nope. He also injured his back early in the 2018 off season and had surgery to repair it.

They said the knee recovery timeline was 6 months around Xmas. But there’s rehab to just simply get back to sheets he was at the time of the injury. So hopefully he gets in a good 8-10 weeks of hard training to improve upon where he was when he got hurt.

Gains are made in the summer but you have to be healthy for that like we see with Brock Boeser. Back injury limited his off season. June and July are the months players spend working on their weaknesses of skating, conditioning, strength, puck skills. Have to be healthy for that.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He was looking solid before he’s. He’s very good offensively, he was leading rookie dmen in points by a big margin before he got injured. Defensively he still needs some work, but he’s very offensively polished. He’s still going to be a top 4 guy imo

Reactions: bh53

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rumors have it, Benning is in the market to make his team better wether via UFA. I also heard news he likes to add additional picks in the draft.

BTW not a Benning fan anymore, but Friedmen makes my eye role.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I don't think Carolina would entertain that at all.

1) Canes have zero need for Juolevi so he doesn't hold much value for them. Slavin, de Hann, Fleury and Bean on the LHD side already. Juolevi certainly wouldn't beat out Slavin or CDH, and I'm not sure he'd beat out either of Fleury or Bean either.
2) Goalies are voodoo and don't hold a lot of value in trades. Not sure DiPietro is any better than what Carolina already has in the system.
3) Baertschi is a bottom six guy that can't stay healthy. Not to mention he's a LH shooting LW, which is the least area of need.

So this ends up being a swap of 1st round picks (one a mystery pick next year) and the Canes adding Pesce for a bunch of lesser pieces that either aren't proven or they don't need.

IMO, if the Canes are going to move Pesce, it's going to be for a proven top 6 forward that is similar age and/or under team's control for a similar time frame. If you don't have that to offer, then I don't think the Canes would be interested.

First off...…...I will chance the offer

2020 1st(unconditional) + Baertschi + Virtanen + Goldobin
for
Pesce and 2019 1st

Secondly, you need up read up on Baertschi's points per game...definitely not a bottom 6

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

for
Pesce and 2019 1st

Secondly, you need up read up on Baertschi's points per game...definitely not a bottom 6

If you want Pesce, I want Horvat or Boeser.

Canes have no need to trade him for a pile of spare parts.

Reactions: Chan790

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You want them...you have to anti up more
Practice what you preach.;) Same applies to you wanting Pesce.

As has been said, if Canes are trading Pesce, they want a legit, young top Six forward. Not a collection of parts that you don’t care about losing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

for
Pesce and 2019 1st

Not any better, so no. A bunch of pieces you don’t care to lose and a swap of first round picks.

1. Who is he going to replace on Canes LW? Nino? Svechnikov? Ferland? Or even RW? Teravainen? Williams?

2. PPG is meaningless for a guy that can’t stay healthy. His career high is 35 points

Bottom Six

3. He’s a UFA in 2 years. Not giving up Pesce for him as the main piece with a swap of 1st round picks.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know it said young D in the OP but it might be better to target a 29 to 32 year and D that is still good and move an older piece for him . To get a young D with upside it going to cost you .

Would the Canucks fans have any interest in a Sekera for Sutter swap . Both with 2 years left on their contracts .

Reactions: LDF

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know it said young D in the OP but it might be better to target a 29 to 32 year and D that is still good and move an older piece for him . To get a young D with upside it going to cost you .

Would the Canucks fans have any interest in a Sekera for Sutter swap . Both with 2 years left on their contracts .
Both been injured most of the year . Sekera has looked good and seems to get better each game . I have not seen Sutter play this year so I am not sure his value currently

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
CAR views Pesce highly.
The whole league will soon. Since the All-star break Pesce has been playing on the left side. His offense has increased significantly--a 49 point pace with no power play time. In February and March, he has matched up against Crosby, Seguin, McDavid, and MacKinnon--none got on the score sheet.

Seriously, what is the value of a first-pairing, shut-down defenseman who can play either right of left, and has found another offensive gear such that he looks to be a regular 40 point (50 if he were to get power play time) producer?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

the main point now after seeing the fallacy/error/misunderstanding of the new era of hockey and the long salary contracts that was given out. given out to the players before.

now it is time to rethink that whole idea and fix the unfixable contracts. so there will be some major overpayment from some teams......

perfect example, Bhawks - Seabs contract.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks aren't going to look into filling a hole by creating another one.

Re : PEsche for a top 6 winger.

Likely they are targeting a young Dman and are dangling picks and prospects or project players like Virtanen Goldobin

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Zboril for virtanen?
Nope. Boston fans don’t seem to be willing to give up what it would take to get Virtanen.

I would consider it. Can he play on the right side?
Ristolainen for Boeser.
Nope.
The whole league will soon. Since the All-star break Pesce has been playing on the left side. His offense has increased significantly--a 49 point pace with no power play time. In February and March, he has matched up against Crosby, Seguin, McDavid, and MacKinnon--none got on the score sheet.

Seriously, what is the value of a first-pairing, shut-down defenseman who can play either right of left, and has found another offensive gear such that he looks to be a regular 40 point (50 if he were to get power play time) producer?

Canucks are not going to pay the price it will take to get Pesce.

Please go talk to the Leafs fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad