Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Andlauer is running a business and maybe Berube wasn't worth the $$ he was asking. Green is a pro and his reputation will be measured immediately by this hire and most importantly, the success he can bring to the team's performance.
Gotta give him a shot!
To me, player acquisition and potential trades to make the Sens more competitive is more significant and this lies on the GM and his hockey operations guys.

Reactions: LiseL

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024

I'm confused as to why people keep referencing this press conference. Yes, he's saying things that sound good. So did DJ. He honestly sounds like every single coach who's ever spoken in front of a microphone. Are we supposed to have some sort of eureka "omg i've never looked at it this way before" moment while watching this?

The thing is, when you watch the teams that he's coached play, and dig into their performance... the things he's talking about... they just didn't happen. Ask Vancouver or NJ fans.

So what does it matter what he said after the season ended?

I'm sure that tomorrow, he'll say that he wants his teams to "to play fast and hard." Do you think anyone will ask him why the Devils and Canucks, under his coaching, did not in fact play fast or hard? Probably not.

Hell, I just read the Tim Baines article. He included this quote as to why hiring Green is a positive, “I love teams that are hard to play against,” said Green.

You don't say! Has he not been around this team for the last 5 years? Those exact words were muttered by DJ Smith every single day, before and after each game.

Last edited:

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
People don't seem to understand what style Green is. Apparently VERY aggressive and we've all wanted that for a long time.
If they wanted a hard ass, a shouter and a screamer, they could have hired a retired army Sargent. Paid him 100 K and he would have been perfect.

The team needs a coach. Someone who is good with Xs and Os, all the while being a motivator and and someone people gravitate too.

It is now apparent (TO ME) that this team lacks adequate skill, adequate structure and adequate motivation. This does not leave much out.

The new coach has to rebuild from the ground up. Has to coordinate with Staios on who stays, who goes. Has to formulate an offensive and a defensive scheme that can overcome team deficiencies and then has to motivate, (whether through ass kicking or back slapping) a batch of players who appear to be disinterested, to bust their hump.

Essentially New Coach Greene, has to be part human, part God. Tragically, the new coach has to outdo Mosses. He needs to wave his hands and the Rideau Canal needs to part.

The reality is, Greene is most likely a 2-3 year guy and will be supplanted by another. We may be heading down Buffalo Sabers lane.

Reactions: Relapsing

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm confused as to why people keep referencing this press conference. Yes, he's saying things that sound good. So did DJ. He honestly sounds like every single coach who's ever spoken in front of a microphone. Are we supposed to have some sort of eureka "omg i've never looked at it this way before" moment while watching this?

The thing is, when you watch the teams that he's coached play, and dig into their performance... the things he's talking about... they just didn't happen. Ask Vancouver or NJ fans.

I'm sure that tomorrow, he'll say that he wants his teams to "to play fast and hard." Do you think anyone will ask him why the Devils and Canucks, under his tenure, did not in fact play fast or hard? Probably not.
I just want to hear that he flew to St. Louis over the summer to talk to Brady entrenador-a-capitàn.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I'm sure that tomorrow, he'll say that he wants his teams to "to play fast and hard." Do you think anyone will ask him why the Devils and Canucks, under his tenure, did not in fact play fast or hard? Probably not.
If you’re interested in learning about their coaching styles, or what people think, fans are probably the worst to ask.
Players and people who work in the business would be better than 99.9% of fans.
what’s next Reddit posts.

I swear to God.... If he gets boo'd on opening night I will never, ever tell anyone I don't know that I am a Sens fan.
I didn’t like when they booed Gonchar, on opening night introductions either.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

I'm sure that tomorrow, he'll say that he wants his teams to "to play fast and hard." Do you think anyone will ask him why the Devils and Canucks, under his coaching, did not in fact play fast or hard? Probably not.

Hell, I just read the Tim Baines article. He included this quote as to why hiring Green is a positive, “I love teams that are hard to play against,” said Green.

You don't say! Has he not been around this team for the last 5 years? Those exact words were muttered by DJ Smith every single day, before and after each game.

Because it's a recent, extended communication? A chance to get a sense of the guy? Develop an initial impression?

Fairly obvious.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and otown

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The new coach has to rebuild from the ground up. Has to coordinate with Staios on who stays, who goes. Has to formulate an offensive and a defensive scheme that can overcome team deficiencies and then has to motivate, (whether through ass kicking or back slapping) a batch of players who appear to be disinterested, to bust their hump.
But that's the thing, he's renowned for this.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
If you’re interested in learning about their coaching styles, or what people think, fans are probably the worst to ask.
Players and people who work in the business would be better than 99.9% of fans.
what’s next Reddit posts.

I didn’t like when they booed Gonchar, on opening night introductions either.

If you ask them off the record, I'm sure you'd get a great, honest assessment. In a TSN segment on the day of a guy's hiring? It's always a puff piece.

Reactions: gab6511

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Sure, but why do you think so many people think it's a bad hire.... especially Vancouver and NJ fans chiming in?

Have you seen one person that thinks this is a good hire? I'd love to hear their rebuttal to the plethora of complaints.
Because he has a losing record. NJ fans had him as a head coach for 20 games in a dying season. I’m not sure how you can determine someone is terrible (or good!) in that timeframe.

I think sitting here and making an argument that he is, with certainty, a good hire is equally flawed. He will have to prove that himself. I think it’s okay to acknowledge that he worked in less than ideal circumstances in the past and might get different results here. It’s also fair to say that Benning could’ve been a problem but that doesn’t mean Green himself wasn’t another. Who knows. Even the most ardent fans don’t see what happens behind the scenes. I believe culture and organizational stability plays a pretty big part into how coaches are perceived. It’s not a one man job, good orgs are like well-oiled machines filled with tons of smart people who all make each other look better. I don’t know that it’s something we can ever properly assess from our couches.

Reactions: lancepitlick

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Because it's a recent, extended communication? A chance to get a sense of the guy? Develop an initial impression?

Fairly obvious.

I understand why you'd want to watch.

I don't understand why some are saying, "if you're skeptical of this hire... watch this... and then tell me what you think."

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Via Thomas Drance, Canucks beat writer:
Thank you for posting this. Another poster shared comments from Canucks fan on Reddit which were also positive. I feel better about this hire since reading these 2 posts. It sounds like he's good with developing young players (not being their best friend), creative and a task master, holding players accountable. I also imagine that JM had some input into this decision. I'll wait till next season before I denouce this hire.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
I swear to God.... If he gets boo'd on opening night I will never, ever tell anyone I don't know that I am a Sens fan.

Doesn't he deserve at least 30 seconds of booing for his dumbass antics and quotes during the 03 series, so long as the fans make it clear that the booing is about that (maybe the put up on explainer on the video board) and not him being hired as coach?

Or maybe make him finally square off with Chris Neil at center ice, without a ref that he can hide behind?

It'll be like a cleansing ceremony. A fresh start for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and chipsens

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Fairly obvious.
Some people aren't interested in developing an initial impression, they have already made up their minds because Vancouver fans saw him as an easy excuse for their teams failure that didn't require them to admit maybe the team just wasn't good enough yet.

Im not going to suggest I think he's an amazing coach, I simply don't, as a fan, have much visibility into the things good coaches do to make that determination. But, if guys that do have that insight, and have inside knowledge start talking positively about him, discussing the reasons that might have played into the lack of success during his tenure, then I'll take note and maybe give the guy a chance to go out there and prove himself before I cast all the blame for Van's failures on him.

Reactions: WallyD

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
For Sens to make playoffs they have to be in the playoffs mentality mode right from the start and for the whole season. Take the time and space away, everyone should hit anyone regardless the star status. Be aggressive, control the play, attention to details, no flybys, block shots, clog a neutral zone, active sticks, no giveaways and so on. Nothing was preached and developed during DJ tenure. And JM had a hard time to enforce this playoff mentality. Worst offenders were Tkachuk, Botherson and Stutzle.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Because he has a losing record. NJ fans had him as a head coach for 20 games in a dying season. I’m not sure how you can determine someone is terrible (or good!) in that timeframe.

I think sitting here and making an argument that he is, with certainty, a good hire is equally flawed. He will have to prove that himself. I think it’s okay to acknowledge that he worked in less than ideal circumstances in the past and might get different results here. It’s also fair to say that Benning could’ve been a problem but that doesn’t mean Green himself wasn’t another. Who knows. Even the most ardent fans don’t see what happens behind the scenes. I believe culture and organizational stability plays a pretty big part into how coaches are perceived. It’s not a one man job, good orgs are like well-oiled machines filled with tons of smart people who all make each other look better. I don’t know that it’s something we can ever properly assess from our couches.
Sure. There's a lot more we don't know and so on.

But take any topic on sens on the main board. Any topic. There will always be haters and bashers and so on. That's ok. You know what there always is, too? Some none bias fans of other team who give their honest analysis of this signing and many often favour the sens transaction. You see them all the time.

I don't even see a single post explaining why this is a good hire.

Isn't that weird? There's usually always neutral fans on both sides of any move. But like, zero are liking it or hyping this one. Isn't that strange? Whenever we hired literally any other coach, there was numerous posters explaining we will like this guy. But with green? We aren't getting that from posters. It's like people unanimously think he's a shitty coach. Why is it SO unanimous?????

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Andlauer promised best in class, gave us GM Staios who gave us Head Coach Travis Green.

As a Sens fan, I hope it works out. But I can definitively say that Travis Green is FAR from the best in class coach available now (there isn't a shortage of quality coaches in free agency). The track record doesn't jive with what Staios is being quoted.

Just feels like we have hired a DJ Smith type coach wrt track record/pedigree if not style, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Best in class = "best in show" 🐕

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Some people aren't interested in developing an initial impression, they have already made up their minds because Vancouver fans saw him as an easy excuse for their teams failure that didn't require them to admit maybe the team just wasn't good enough yet.

Im not going to suggest I think he's an amazing coach, I simply don't, as a fan, have much visibility into the things good coaches do to make that determination. But, if guys that do have that insight, and have inside knowledge start talking positively about him, discussing the reasons that might have played into the lack of success during his tenure, then I'll take note and maybe give the guy a chance to go out there and prove himself before I cast all the blame for Van's failures on him.

Good coaches win. The great thing about sports is there's always a scoreboard that's publicly visible. Nowadays people will twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain why what's on the scoreboard isn't what actually matters, but it is.

He'll get a fresh start in Ottawa. He'll have a chance to change the narrative. And for all the complaining, if he wins, everyone will shut up, including myself.

But there's no reason to rewrite history and blame others for his past performance. He sucked in Vancouver. Other people sucked too. But he was right alongside them sucking. He's not a scapegoat.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Good coaches win. The great thing about sports is there's always a scoreboard that's publicly visible. Nowadays people will twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain why what's on the scoreboard isn't what actually matters, but it is.

He'll get a fresh start in Ottawa. He'll have a chance to change the narrative. And for all the complaining, if he wins, everyone will shut up, including myself.

But there's no reason to rewrite history and blame others for his past performance. He sucked in Vancouver. Other people sucked too. But he was right alongside them sucking. He's not a scapegoat.
Oof, better tell Berube because he lost a lot of games this year

Here's the thing, good teams are actually who wins. Coaches can play a role in that, but they can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Reactions: WallyD

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

It is time for major leagues in NA to start coaches certifications and at least required one year of academia. We have no idea if Green is even knowledgeable guy to be a coach in this league and how much he knows. We can only go by his horrible record and his bullshit during interviews in front of inexperienced Sens GM. I understand it is hard to learn on a job, when you do not have a job. But Steve Staios has no business to be a GM in this league either and hire anyone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm blown away that Green managed to get a 4 year deal with his resume. I really hope it works out for Green and the team but I'm a bit skeptical.
It's really just one year more than your typical deal, they may have had three options on the table one with dollars, one with term and one with a mix and let him choose, who knows, I don't think you can read much into a deal without both numbers. If it's 800k x 4 years it's about the same as he got for one year in Vancouver, term is really meaningless without knowing the dollars.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It is time for major leagues in NA to start coaches certifications and at least required one year of academia. We have no idea if Green is even knowledgeable guy to be a coach in this league and how much he knows. We can only go by his horrible record and his bullshit during interviews in front of inexperienced Sens GM. I understand it is hard to learn on a job, when you do not have a job. But Steve Staios has no business to be a GM in this league either and hire anyone.
You may not know, but you know who would know? The guys that interviewed him, talked to the guys he's worked with and the guys who played for him. That's why NHL teams have a hiring process instead of polling HFboards....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad