Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Pius Suter - 2-years @ $1.6M AAV

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Even without a trade, if Pearson is LTIRed all year then they are still under the cap.

Andrei KuzmenkoElias PetterssonIlya Mikheyev
Phil Di GiuseppeJT MillerBrock Boeser
Teddy BluegerPius SuterAnthony Beauvillier
Dakota JoshuaNils AmanConor Garland
Nils Hoglander
Quinn HughesIan Cole
Carson SoucyFilip HronekThatcher Demko
Christian WolaninTyler MyersSpencer Martin
Guillaume BriseboisMatt Irwin

With Pearson and Poolman on LTIR has around 1.5m in LTIR space. Can go with several other configurations but everyone at the bottom of the roster makes around the same league minimum so it won't affect cap space.

Doesn’t LTIR not register until the season officially starts so you need someway to be compliant coming out of camp just to put these players on injured reserve?

I’d have to look at who they could paper down to a 22-man roster, there could be a way to do it, but not sure who would be waiver exempt.

Anyway, good fit player-wise but ridiculous the cap gymnastics they require just to sign a fourth liner.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Will Pearson be on LTIR though? I thought the reports were that he plans to be at training camp/start the season?

Depends on the report. Even with him back they can get under the cap by waiving Pearson and sending one of the other league minimum guys down.

They should make some sort of trade where the main goal is to clear cap. Having Garland or Beauvillier on the 4th line is a huge waste of cap space. As is Myers on the 3rd pairing.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Love it. Great cap hit for a middle-six tweener. Instantly becomes the only guy on the roster that can slide into a top-6 centre position in-case of injury.

And yes, definitely a precursor to a trade. Doesn’t have to happen for a few more weeks, though.
Myers in September when the bonus is paid.

• Love
Reactions: Peen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Doesn’t LTIR not register until the season officially starts so you need someway to be compliant coming out of camp just to put these players on injured reserve?

I’d have to look at who they could paper down to a 22-man roster, there could be a way to do it, but not sure who would be waiver exempt.

Anyway, good fit player-wise but ridiculous the cap gymnastics they require just to sign a fourth liner.

Depends on how they want to do it. You can request off-season LTIR and the Canucks would be granted it for Poolman. The reason to get as close to 0 cap space on the day of opening night rosters, as the Canucks did last year, is it sets the baseline for the rest of the season. With the Canucks at 0$ last season, every bit of money they put on LTIR counted.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Can we put Myers on waivers worst case scenario? He will get claimed for sure and getting him off the roster even for nothing is a win.

Reactions: Indiana

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
CONVERT THE CLUMSY GIRAFFE INTO A USEFUL D RN
Myers traded in a few weeks and then I have an uneasy feeling they’re flipping Hog/Pod with picks for a RHD

PESCE YOU ARE A VANCOUVER CANUCK

Or maybe we trade picks for Tanev lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tact

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Myers traded in a few weeks and then I have an uneasy feeling they’re flipping Hog/Pod with picks for a RHD

PESCE YOU ARE A VANCOUVER CANUCK

Or maybe we trade picks for Tanev lol
Their fans want a top line winger for Pesce or else they’re ok with keeping him as their own rental.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't argue with this signing and the term.....but it pushes the Canucks to $5m over the salary cap threshold.

They'll get some LTIR relief once the season starts, but something has to give. Wouldn't rule out a Myers trade.

Or is there another buyout window before the start of the regular season? Pearson might be a candidate.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Will Pearson be on LTIR though? I thought the reports were that he plans to be at training camp/start the season?

I know you’re aren’t exactly a fan of this stuff
But there was a tweet from a unofficial reporter with over 200 likes saying he will in fact be on LTIR

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I figure it either Myers being moved
CONVERT THE CLUMSY GIRAFFE INTO A USEFUL D RN
I still wonder if they will move Myers to SJ. Even if they have to take Labanc back, they could stash him in the AHL and save nearly $2.5m net in cap space. They could use that money to re-sign Bear.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Their fans want a top line winger for Pesce or else they’re ok with keeping him as their own rental.

Top line winger you say....

i

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Also—does anyone actually have any impressions of watching Pius Suter play?

I remember people suggesting the Canucks should sign Pius Suter when he has been a free agent in the past. And I know that he has played with Chicago and Detroit. And I remember watching games in recent years with Chicago and Detroit. But I cannot remember a single play or shift or his name being mentioned ever.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
On this move. I love it.

Guy is a legitimate defensive center that can assume 3C duties and also be used on the PK.

My friend who watches a fair bit of DRW games (lives in Windsor) seems to think he's Manny Malhotra-like and was showing very well towards the end of the 2022-23 season. FO's need a lot of work though.

This franchise has not had a good reliable 3C in forever.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think this board overrates Suter based on his JFresh card and I think he's more of a wing/5C who can play 3C minutes in a pinch (which was basically how he was used last year in Detroit).

But he's also very serviceable utility depth who can PK and he's good value at that price. Good signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad