Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Filip Johansson to ELC

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
To get a compensatory pick for failure to sign a first round pick, the drafting team has to make a Bona Fide offer. That doesn't mean the offer has to be fair to the player. Whomever drafts Shane Wright this summer could offer him a league minimum 2-way contract with no bonuses and keep all of their rights, including the right to a compensatory pick if he doesn't sign. It is sort of like a qualifying offer to keep a player's rights at the end of an entry level contract-these offers can be made with no reasonable expectation that they will be accepted just to keep the rights to the player.

Bona Fide offer is defined in paragraph 8.6 (e) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, 2013 as "an offer of an SPC which is for a period corresponding to the Player's age as required ..., is to commence at the start of the next League Year, offers at least the Minimum Paragraph 1 Salary ... for each League Year covered by such offer and remains open to the Player for at least thirty (30) days after receipt of the offer by the Player. ..."
If this is true, it's changed recently. In the Ehrhoff trade the Sharks acquired Patrick White solely to get a 2nd round pick, and never offered him a contract as far as I know. Presumably he'd have signed it if they had.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
If this is true, it's changed recently. In the Ehrhoff trade the Sharks acquired Patrick White solely to get a 2nd round pick, and never offered him a contract as far as I know. Presumably he'd have signed it if they had.
You'll note that the section I referred to in the CBA was from 2013. It isn't recent.

Patrick White was in a different situation. Clause 8.6(c)(i) of the 2013 CBA specifically provides that a bona fide offer need not be made for players who are at the time of the draft or before the June 1 following the draft become college players. White was drafted from the USHL, but went to university a few months later.

The same provision that no bona fide offer needed to be made for college players was also in 8.6(c)(i) of the 2005 Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was in effect when San Jose didn't sign White.

Last edited:

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Wow that Chris Faber take was critical. I read elsewhere that this was a solid defensive player who maybe didn’t have much offense. Chris Faber seems to suggest he’s an offensive defenseman who takes chances and is poor at defending. Which is it? The former makes more sense for a Nucks signing, but any depth/prospect RD signing probably makes sense for this team.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Wow that Chris Faber take was critical. I read elsewhere that this was a solid defensive player who maybe didn’t have much offense. Chris Faber seems to suggest he’s an offensive defenseman who takes chances and is poor at defending. Which is it? The former makes more sense for a Nucks signing, but any depth/prospect RD signing probably makes sense for this team.
It's worse than that. If the CA piece is correct, Johansson is dman who is slowish, not physical and overly aggressive offensively, which leaves him exposed defensively AND has little to show for his aggression in terms of counting stats. For reference, he plays on a lower pairing than Simon Edvinsson who almost doubled his offensive output in fewer games. That's the same Simon Edvinsson (3 years younger) that people on this board were concerned that we'd draft because of the significant warts in his game.

Maybe he's a late bloomer. We'll see if his playoff performance carries forward into next season...

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, sounds like the scouting report for Oli Juolevi....but at least Johannson wasn't a fifth overall pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kind of being realistic here about Faber’s assessment of this player. The time between this guy signing until Faber releasing his evaluation was how long? Cause he had 4 years post draft to review. Even just this season that’s a lot to review.

This thread was started on Monday morning and faber has an article out sometime on Tuesday morning. Talking less than 24 hours.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, this guy isn't a great prospect. The 'ex-first round pick' thing is skewing some perceptions.

This signing is basically a free lottery ticket to add to the worst prospect pool in the NHL and possibly the worst RHD situation in the modern history of the NHL. He's the same age as Jett Woo and this basically just gives us two Jett Woo level guys floating around instead of just one ... which is an improvement, if not a significant one.

He had a fine finish to his age 21 season and hopefully can build on that next year in the SHL and maybe we have a useful system asset at that point.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I mean, this guy isn't a great prospect. The 'ex-first round pick' thing is skewing some perceptions.

This signing is basically a free lottery ticket to add to the worst prospect pool in the NHL and possibly the worst RHD situation in the modern history of the NHL. He's the same age as Jett Woo and this basically just gives us two Jett Woo level guys floating around instead of just one ... which is an improvement, if not a significant one.

He had a fine finish to his age 21 season and hopefully can build on that next year in the SHL and maybe we have a useful system asset at that point.

The bolded is the only reason I have him in our very sad top-10 prospect list. Woo had a brutal season and finished about as bad as he possible could while Johansson, at least, had an exciting playoffs.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Kind of being realistic here about Faber’s assessment of this player. The time between this guy signing until Faber releasing his evaluation was how long? Cause he had 4 years post draft to review. Even just this season that’s a lot to review.

This thread was started on Monday morning and faber has an article out sometime on Tuesday morning. Talking less than 24 hours.
This is what I was thinking. Several other sites all say the same thing: solid skating; solid defense (based on smarts not physicality); good slap shot; poor offense - outlook 3rd pair defensive defenseman. This is from Dobber, which includes observations from years past. But it is consistent with many other sites. I think Faber may be being too negative. Solid defensive man who can skate and shoot have value.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

June 2022 – The Minnesota Wild elected to leave their 2018 first-rounder (Johansson) unsigned, allowing others to pursue his rights. The Canucks, who find themselves in an obvious need of re-stocking the shelves, took a no-risk flyer on the two-way rearguard – signing him to a two-year Entry-Level deal. While the offensive numbers have never fully come together for him, tallying just 26 points over 132 SHL games, there is still some intrigue to be had. Now 22, his game has taken more of a defensive approach and can play minutes in a variety of fashions, offering potential peripheral upside. He is expected to remain in Frolunda for one more season, after which, expect a good stint in Abbotsford. Overall, he remains a long-term project but offers decent value as a right-shot, third-pairing asset. Dave Hall

February 2021 – Johansson’s offensive game seems to have taken at least a little bit of a step forward, with the Swede more than doubling last season’s point total in fewer games. Offense was never expected to be his calling card, but if he can continue to progress in that area, Johansson could finally begin to match the expectations the Wild placed on him by shockingly drafting him in the first round back in 2018. Sam Happi

March 2019 – Minnesota’s first-round pick last year has had a bit of a disappointing season to date. Playing in the Allsvenskan with Leksands IF, he has shown that the defensive side of his game is still his calling card although his consistency this year has been an issue. Playing against men hasn’t put an excessive strain on his defensive game due to the fact that it is primarily based on good positioning and having a good stick. His skating has continued to be a strength for him in the defensive zone and has allowed him to show flashes of offensive potential. However, his offensive game has continued to be very limited due to the situations he has been playing in this season and lack of power play time. Johansson is a developmental project player that will likely make the NHL but his ceiling is much lower than you would prefer from a first round pick. Tony Ferrari
June 2018 – Johansson was drafted 24th overall by the Minnesota Wild. Johansson was usually ranked somewhere in the late second round in pre-draft rankings but the Wild obviously saw something more in him and reached for him late in the first round – they seem to like smart Swedish defensemen a lot. Johansson is a defence-first type defenseman but has some puck-moving abilities as well. He’s a good skater but hasn’t shown a lot of offensive creativity. He has a good shot from the blue line but may not be a power play player at the NHL level. He’s probably a couple of years away from reaching the NHL. Johansson isn’t worth drafting in fantasy hockey leagues unless you have very deep prospect systems. Jokke Nevalainen

Reactions: Lindgren

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Can't lose here. We need more prospects and worse case scenario the owner loses some money (i.e. I don't care). WELL actually worse case scenario is we rehire Green and he puts Johanssen on our top pairing despite sucking and then he sleeps with every other players' wives and the team implodes....and then we lose the draft lottery. But the chances of that happening are like only 25% or so, so this is a good move.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was one of the Wild fans who was furious with the pick, citing Veleno as a far better choice, but time has shown that the other "obvious" BPA's at the time such as Bokk and Veleno haven't been much, if any, better. My understanding that the guy has decent size, can skate, and play ok two way defence, and is a RHD to boot. Don't see the downside for the Canucks here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was one of the Wild fans who was furious with the pick, citing Veleno as a far better choice, but time has shown that the other "obvious" BPA's at the time such as Bokk and Veleno haven't been much, if any, better. My understanding that the guy has decent size, can skate, and play ok two way defence, and is a RHD to boot. Don't see the downside for the Canucks here.
From Johansen onward you need 14 picks until to get to Romanov for anyone who has done anything at the NHL’s level from that 2018 draft. They reached but given what the board was it’s not like there were a bunch of nhlers in the next 8-10 picks So far. But now is the time range where those late firsts and early seconds at age 22 should be ready to make their nhl debuts.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
In a twisted way, the Wild made the perfect draft pick considering all that came after. He was so underwhelming they couldn’t justify offering him a contract and added another a pretty decent pick or trade chip to play around with.

Reactions: Lindgren and MS

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In a twisted way, the Wild made the perfect draft pick considering all that came after. He was so underwhelming they couldn’t justify offering him a contract and added another a pretty decent pick or trade chip to play around with.
Knowing that a player would bring back a 2nd if he busts would raise him in my own rankings substantially, lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure the Canucks take a flyer on him if it wasn't for the fact that he's a right-shot d-man. Very tough to find decent right-shot d-men, so well worth the risk by the Canucks.

Even if there's a chance he can become as bottom pairing d-man at 25-26, it's probably worth an ELC for under $1m a season, which doesn't kick in until he actually arrives on this side of the pond.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I don't see how this could be a lose for Vancouver -- at worst we groom him in Abbotsford and see what the 22 year old becomes, if nothing then we can just trade him as a sweetener somehow or let him walk. All it costs is a cap space, and there's no critical mass or RHD prospects without accruing quantity.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Well looks like he is off to a hot start in Sweden

Playing 18 mins a game, 3 points in 5 games (2G), 13 SOG.

He also did well at the Champions HL tournament with 3 points in 4 games.

There is something more to this 22 year old than we expect.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
A sign I need coffee....I really confused Filip Johansson with Marcus Johansson and ELC with PTO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For any of these three Swedish signings to work out, management really needs to convince them it's best for their development to play in the AHL.

Eventually yes. But I am not sure if the AHL is a better option for most 18-22 year old Swedish Dmen compared to the SHL. We have hardly done a good job of developing Dmen in the AHL although we have added to our player development of late.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Eventually yes. But I am not sure if the AHL is a better option for most 18-22 year old Swedish Dmen compared to the SHL. We have hardly done a good job of developing Dmen in the AHL although we have added to our player development of late.

Haven't really developed anyone, apart from goaltenders, in the AHL. My reasoning is that all three of these guys will be 23 before the season ends, would need AHL time regardless, and have already spent full season(s) in SweHL. With the Canucks having the Sedins work closely with prospects, I figured this would be appealing. Worked on Karlsson and Aman.

If Johansson can continue this pace and have a breakout season over there, then great! He made the right decision and it benefits everyone! Seems he's carrying on his production from the playoffs and not his previous two regular seasons.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, walking away from your first round draft pick without even offering him a contract is pretty rare in the NHL.

I mean the Wild originally thought enough of him to draft him 24th overall in the 2018 entry draft. And he's a relatively rare right-shooting d-man to boot.

From a PR standpoint, it would seem like signing your first rounder and assigning him to the AHL is a far safer route. Then if he flops, you can walk away and nobody would question it.

Not sure what happened, but clearly the Wild thought he'd never develop or be able to help them. So very low risk and potential higher reward for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad