Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Filip Johansson to ELC

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was all Brent Flahr - who is once again Chuck Fletcher's AGM in Philly. Just a totally clueless egg looking idiot.

He was projected to go in the 4th or later. How does this even happen?

He was rated between #38 and #65 by most scouting services - basically a consensus 2nd rounder, maybe early 3rd.

It was a bad/weird pick but not quite *that* out of left field.

For any of these three Swedish signings to work out, management really needs to convince them it's best for their development to play in the AHL.

Absolutely. It will be very interesting to see what happens or if this is just a big waste of time where a bunch of guys come over for a training camp and a couple preseason games and then are never heard from again.

Reactions: geebaan and Vector

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Was a poor pick the second it was made but that doesn’t mean this is a bad signing in fact I don’t see anything wrong with this.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Absolutely. It will be very interesting to see what happens or if this is just a big waste of time where a bunch of guys come over for a training camp and a couple preseason games and then are never heard from again.

The one completely unknown factor is if they are comfortable with them training back in Sweden for one season due to the presence of the recently hired Mikael Samuelsson. Still don't think that's the right way to go about it but I can see them giving that concession for a season.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The one completely unknown factor is if they are comfortable with them training back in Sweden for one season due to the presence of the recently hired Mikael Samuelsson. Still don't think that's the right way to go about it but I can see them giving that concession for a season.
Chris Faber's tweet suggests he's only coming to training camp and then going back to Sweden? Perhaps he's just speculating?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Chris Faber's tweet suggests he's only coming to training camp and then going back to Sweden? Perhaps he's just speculating?

I think Faber is right but my suspicion is that they'll use training camp as an opportunity to sell Karlsson, Aman, and Johansson to stay in Abbotsford and work with the Sedins while also earning call-up time. Kind of a bait and switch.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Minny drafted him ridiculously high (just like we did with Juolevi) and then decided he wasn't progressing (while Allvin thinks otherwise). We'll see who is right. As of now this is a nothing deal and will probably end up remaining one unless major changes occur in this player.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Just had a very nice playoff in the SHL. Guessing he's another guy who will either play with the pro club or stay in Sweden - I'm guessing Larsson and Aman will likely exercise those same clauses.

At any rate, nice to see Allvin had some talent into the pipeline. Milk that Swedish connection for all it's worth!
Larsson? Do you mean Karlsson?

Also: second Leksand(/Avesta) player Allvin has signed this off-season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Minny drafted him ridiculously high (just like we did with Juolevi) and then decided he wasn't progressing (while Allvin thinks otherwise). We'll see who is right. As of now this is a nothing deal and will probably end up remaining one unless major changes occur in this player.
For Minny if they don’t sign him they get a 2nd round pick for him so for them they would at this point take a shot with another player.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For Minny if they don’t sign him they get a 2nd round pick for him so for them they would at this point take a shot with another player.

Exactly this. For Minnesota it's whether Johansson is worth more than the 56th overall pick in this draft.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems like a long shot given his points totals. But as others have said, this isn’t a case necessarily of Minny saying he has no upside like was the case with Vancouver and Patrick White. They just don’t think he has the value of a second round pick. The small sample size of the playoffs likely helped convince Allvin to take a gamble here.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Only after a bona fide offer of contract that the player doesn’t sign. You don’t get to refuse to sign a first round player in favor of a second round pick.

Reactions: Fatass

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This whole new Sweden thing is so unclear to me, still.

If both the NHL team and the player want to stay in NA, can the SHL team still recall that player back to Sweden? Or it's only if both the player and the team would prefer to be in Sweden that the NHL team can't force him to stay?

In Johansson's case, the fact that it's already been announced that he'll return to Sweden for 22-23 would indicate to me that there has been some sort of negotiation with Frolunda whereby they are guaranteed the player for next year but won't pursue him for 23-24 and he could go to the AHL at that point? But this is just speculating without all the facts or a full understanding.

Reactions: Vector

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I wouldn’t compare this at all with Joulevi who was picked in the top 10 where he was slated to go. Someone else mentioned Patrick White who is a perfect comparable as he was also picked late in the first round when rated for the second or third round. Going from memory, the consensus was somewhere between 50 and 60 for Patrick White.
Johansson so far is having a much better career so far than Patrick White who I recall was playing in second or third tier German leagues after turning pro.

Only after a bona fide offer of contract that the player doesn’t sign. You don’t get to refuse to sign a first round player in favor of a second round pick.
I don’t think that’s correct or Patrick White would have signed with the SJ Sharks given the chance and Bleackley with the Yotes as well.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

There are gonna be a ton of right-shot D in the Abbotsford next season: Keeper, Juulsen, Woo, Kannock-Leipert, Bowey hell Burroughs could end up there.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Neat. I wonder if they might try to clear some Cap space with it.

They actually have two 2nd round picks. *checks notes*

f***ing f*** f***, they have the Canucks 2nd rounder.

The problem they have is there really isn't much they can shed. If they really want to gut the edges of the roster, they could pretty easily get some decent compensation back. The entirety of their cap hell is made up of the 12.7m in buyouts.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I wouldn’t compare this at all with Joulevi who was picked in the top 10 where he was slated to go. Someone else mentioned Patrick White who is a perfect comparable as he was also picked late in the first round when rated for the second or third round. Going from memory, the consensus was somewhere between 50 and 60 for Patrick White.
Johansson so far is having a much better career so far than Patrick White who I recall was playing in second or third tier German leagues after turning pro.

I don’t think that’s correct or Patrick White would have signed with the SJ Sharks given the chance and Bleackley with the Yotes as well.
You’re right, I read back and that may have been for Canadian Junior only.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They actually have two 2nd round picks. *checks notes*

f***ing f*** f***, they have the Canucks 2nd rounder.

The problem they have is there really isn't much they can shed. If they really want to gut the edges of the roster, they could pretty easily get some decent compensation back. The entirety of their cap hell is made up of the 12.7m in buyouts.
They gave a 2nd to Chicago for MAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad