Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Filip Johansson to ELC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wondered if the Canucks might take a flyer on Filip Johansson when the Wild bailed on him. Not much of a risk here, since the Canucks have apparently announced that he'll continue to develop in Sweden next season. So unless he comes to training camp and absolutely knocks it out of the park, he'll be back in Sweden. And I'm assuming that would mean that his two-year ELC will slide until he actually arrives in N.A.

He's shown steady if unspectacular improvement in the SHL and as a former first round draft pick and a right-shot d-man, he was bound to attract some interest. Probably shouldn't have gone 24th overall in the 2018 draft, but Canucks are so thin on blueline prospects, that the 'risk-reward' is well worth it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I mentioned we should sign him earlier this offseason. I dont think he is a bad prospect to have, probably similar to Linus Karlsson when we acquired him for SJS but, I think Minny took the pick because he isnt willing to play in the AHL and will just go back to Sweden if he didnt make their team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mentioned we should sign him earlier this offseason. I dont think he is a bad prospect to have, probably similar to Linus Karlsson when we acquired him for SJS but, I think Minny took the pick because he isnt willing to play in the AHL and will just go back to Sweden if he didnt make their team.
New regime as well. Doesn’t have the same view on him as Fletcher did.

Wouldn’t be a shocker to see some guys picked by benning jettisoned either.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
He's a 22 year old Defenseman. He should start to be at NHL level in 4 to 6 years. Guys like Hughes and Makar are rare.

He's a good depth pickup that's starting to show a little promise. Whether he makes it to the bigs or not there's not a whole lot lost here for the money the team paid. There's no expectations here, its good PR for Swedes to see Vancouver as a goto city.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Just arriving at the conversation now, is this a polarizing prospect that has is infighting cause if he isn’t I don’t want anything to do with it

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don’t know about others in this thread but, given his playoff performance this past season, I will be very interested to watch his progress. Was this an anomaly or a major step? Time will tell.

Reactions: Lindgren

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Only after a bona fide offer of contract that the player doesn’t sign. You don’t get to refuse to sign a first round player in favor of a second round pick.
Does this mean to get the compensatory pick the Wild had to make a fair offer to Johansson that was refused by the player?

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I like this player, skates really well, defends well, big shot. Good player in the SHL. Time will tell if he can continue to develop but there's upside to be a 2nd pair defenseman if all goes right I think.

Last edited:

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Isnt the CBA with swedish teams now that they can hold onto their signed guys (if they want) until 25 unless they are making the NHL?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Does this mean to get the compensatory pick the Wild had to make a fair offer to Johansson that was refused by the player?
To get a compensatory pick for failure to sign a first round pick, the drafting team has to make a Bona Fide offer. That doesn't mean the offer has to be fair to the player. Whomever drafts Shane Wright this summer could offer him a league minimum 2-way contract with no bonuses and keep all of their rights, including the right to a compensatory pick if he doesn't sign. It is sort of like a qualifying offer to keep a player's rights at the end of an entry level contract-these offers can be made with no reasonable expectation that they will be accepted just to keep the rights to the player.

Bona Fide offer is defined in paragraph 8.6 (e) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, 2013 as "an offer of an SPC which is for a period corresponding to the Player's age as required ..., is to commence at the start of the next League Year, offers at least the Minimum Paragraph 1 Salary ... for each League Year covered by such offer and remains open to the Player for at least thirty (30) days after receipt of the offer by the Player. ..."

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To get a compensatory pick for failure to sign a first round pick, the drafting team has to make a Bona Fide offer. That doesn't mean the offer has to be fair to the player. Whomever drafts Shane Wright this summer could offer him a league minimum 2-way contract with no bonuses and keep all of their rights, including the right to a compensatory pick if he doesn't sign. It is sort of like a qualifying offer to keep a player's rights at the end of an entry level contract-these offers can be made with no reasonable expectation that they will be accepted just to keep the rights to the player.

Bona Fide offer is defined in paragraph 8.6 (e) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, 2013 as "an offer of an SPC which is for a period corresponding to the Player's age as required ..., is to commence at the start of the next League Year, offers at least the Minimum Paragraph 1 Salary ... for each League Year covered by such offer and remains open to the Player for at least thirty (30) days after receipt of the offer by the Player. ..."
So the Wild did make this guy an offer and it was refused. Interesting.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Will need to see more from this player to make a determination. Perusing the Wild board, he's on the 3rd pairing playing behind some other NHL prospects. The offense in the playoffs is nice but anyone can ride a burner. What's maybe concerning is that he puts up barely any assists, which might indicate a lack of vision or passing ability. Or that as a 3rd pairing dman he plays with plugs 5v5 with no PP opportunities.

It's interesting that he chose to sign with us. Perhaps we are becoming a bit of a destination for Swedes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Chris Faber's article on Filip Johansson.

"His aggressiveness in the offensive zone is great when it works but there were many times where we saw an over-aggressive pursuit deep into the offensive zone that led to a two-on-one going back the other way. We’ve learned that Frölunda is one of the most offensive-minded teams in the SHL from some conversations with players and coaches in the SHL."

"In our viewing of Johansson, there’s not a lot to love about his defensive game. He’s not physical at all and goes with more of a stretch and poke type of defending instead of using leverage with the body to generate turnovers. He often gets caught pinching too much and those poorly timed pinches create concerns defensively."

"If Johansson was 18 or 19 years old, I’d be a lot more optimistic about his chances of making a smooth transition to North America when he turns 22 or 23 but the problem is that Johansson is already 22 years old and will look to make that jump to North America for the 2023-24 season. He will play next year with Frölunda in the SHL and should be used in their top four once again."

"He does look like he could be effective on a power play in North America. We liked how Johansson looks on the left half-wall with the man-advantage. He does a good job of recognizing how a power play scoring chance develops and can be found at the end scoring chance after a quick passing play.

On top of his work on the half-wall, Johansson does impress us with his ability to consistently get one-timers off with accuracy and pace."

"His skating does not look like it’s anything more than average. He doesn’t have the best first three steps and honestly, it made us appreciate Nils Aman’s skating even more after watching Johansson move around in the SHL. The worry about his skating is that he isn’t quick enough to not be physical and simply put, you’ve got to either be quick or strong to make it in North America.

One last worry is the inconsistent breakout passes from Johansson. There are a lot of errant passes through the neutral zone during an attempted breakout that ends up on the opposition’s stick."

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He was rated between #38 and #65 by most scouting services - basically a consensus 2nd rounder, maybe early 3rd.

It was a bad/weird pick but not quite *that* out of left field.

Absolutely. It will be very interesting to see what happens or if this is just a big waste of time where a bunch of guys come over for a training camp and a couple preseason games and then are never heard from again.
With Trent Cull I expect this pattern to continue.

Reactions: pomorick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So the Wild did make this guy an offer and it was refused. Interesting.
ELC are pretty standard contracts. Probably didn’t include any extra bonuses outside of the regular ones, it’s either A or B which are standard and the other is optional. Plus, in speaking with the club it was probably made clear that they don’t see a future for him in the nhl with them. Decreases the incentive for him to sign with a club that doesn’t truly believe in you.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Lol dim would have traded a 3rd, 2nd, or rathbone for him if the Wild still had his rights. Lol sigh……

And if he made the roster Pastorz and fan would come in here and declare rathbone a bust or come in with stats saying 2nds don’t amount to nhlers 😂

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Chris Faber's article on Filip Johansson.

"His aggressiveness in the offensive zone is great when it works but there were many times where we saw an over-aggressive pursuit deep into the offensive zone that led to a two-on-one going back the other way. We’ve learned that Frölunda is one of the most offensive-minded teams in the SHL from some conversations with players and coaches in the SHL."

"In our viewing of Johansson, there’s not a lot to love about his defensive game. He’s not physical at all and goes with more of a stretch and poke type of defending instead of using leverage with the body to generate turnovers. He often gets caught pinching too much and those poorly timed pinches create concerns defensively."

"If Johansson was 18 or 19 years old, I’d be a lot more optimistic about his chances of making a smooth transition to North America when he turns 22 or 23 but the problem is that Johansson is already 22 years old and will look to make that jump to North America for the 2023-24 season. He will play next year with Frölunda in the SHL and should be used in their top four once again."

"He does look like he could be effective on a power play in North America. We liked how Johansson looks on the left half-wall with the man-advantage. He does a good job of recognizing how a power play scoring chance develops and can be found at the end scoring chance after a quick passing play.

On top of his work on the half-wall, Johansson does impress us with his ability to consistently get one-timers off with accuracy and pace."

"His skating does not look like it’s anything more than average. He doesn’t have the best first three steps and honestly, it made us appreciate Nils Aman’s skating even more after watching Johansson move around in the SHL. The worry about his skating is that he isn’t quick enough to not be physical and simply put, you’ve got to either be quick or strong to make it in North America.

One last worry is the inconsistent breakout passes from Johansson. There are a lot of errant passes through the neutral zone during an attempted breakout that ends up on the opposition’s stick."
Not really an endorsement for this player is it..? ..What is he..?..a bigger Filip Larsen..?..Has problems on zone exits, and is non physical.
Not sure what he brings to the table.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Lol dim would have traded a 3rd, 2nd, or rathbone for him if the Wild still had his rights. Lol sigh……

And if he made the roster Pastorz and fan would come in here and declare rathbone a bust or come in with stats saying 2nds don’t amount to nhlers 😂
Imagine championing the worst GM in franchise history for almost 8 years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep....not much doubt that Canucks Army threw this player under the bus. I suppose there's some hope that sometimes it takes Swedish hockey players a bit longer to hit their stride as pro players. Even the great ones like Naslund and the Sedins struggled early in their careers.

So at the very least Karlsson, Aman and now Johannson add some depth to the prospect pool. Who knows? Maybe after a season or two in Abbotsford these guys might find their way into an NHL lineup. Granted it's not likely, but it's the reason a lot of people buy lottery tickets.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad