Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Vasili Podkolzin to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Podkolzin was consistently in the wrong position, plays died on his stick, and was slow today. If you think Green will have patience for all those warts you're dreaming. He needs to go to the AHL to find his game.
Either you weren't watching closely, or not watching at all because the good players like JT Miller/Hoglander did not risk injury in pre-season. (0 hits) Maybe Green should be consistent with that punishment you speak of.

Vasili is super strong, he gave us a sneak peek with 2 hits, and they were heavy hits. Other than that, Petan, Miller, Dowling Hoglander had the most ice-time and they weren't doing anything out there.

The reason Podkolzin is so good is because it's so difficult to check him and he can maintain possession of the puck which is the entire focus of NHL games. He's always one of the best agile skaters on the ice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His skating looks similar to when horvat entered the league

It really is. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes it looks clunky. I'm not worried it will be fine eventually, but it might not be quite up to speed now.

One thing I've found is that he weirdly looks smaller to me in a Canuck uniform than he did in the KHL/WJC games I've seen in the past. Don't know if it's just the other players are bigger or what, but I find myself struggling to identify him on the ice because I'm looking for a bigger guy.

Reactions: geebaan

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It really is. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes it looks clunky. I'm not worried it will be fine eventually, but it might not be quite up to speed now.

One thing I've found is that he weirdly looks smaller to me in a Canuck uniform than he did in the KHL/WJC games I've seen in the past. Don't know if it's just the other players are bigger or what, but I find myself struggling to identify him on the ice because I'm looking for a bigger guy.
Plodkolzin?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
His slow start is predictable. Right now he's overthinkng on the ice so he looks lost.

I think his play will steadily improve over the course of the season but he won't be anywhere near Calder consideration

It will be interesting to follow how the other forwards drafted after Podz develop... guys like Boldy, Caufield, Newhook and Krebs.

Interestingly enough Hoglander is looking like an amazing pick from that draft class (4th in pts).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
BOris HORVATski will do fine I think. I recall burrows, horvat, twins also struggling as rookies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think Larionov compared him to Messier because he cant eat just one chip.

He also apparently compared him to Krutov who couldn't eat just one hot dog. :sarcasm:

Obviously he's a legend already with these comps

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he cannot play top six right now. he looks like a rookie. I dont believe its ever in the cards for him to play there after acquiring Garland. Power forwards take a long time to develop and generally hit their stride at ~24, expecting him to come in like Brady Tkachuk is a bit premature.

got to admit his performance is a little underwhelming so far. but thats because I did hype him up in my head knowing how much of a fit on paper he is with the make up of this team.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He's tracking well. Fan bases over hype their players a lot. He would do well in Abby. We've seen what can happen from rushing players.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I expect a similar trajectory to his D+1 season. Slow start, gets sent down and regains momentum. Slowly gets comfortable at the NHL level. Seems to be his MO, with the added difficulty of cultural and language barriers.

Willing to be patient with this player. Think he will pan out as top6 F in the long run.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
He seems to be playing conservatively when I watch him. More like he’s just trying not to make a mistake. But I do like the vision he’s shown at times. Definitely seems like he’s more a playmaker.

I still feel like he’s really a C. And long term that would be good. IMO they should send him down to Abby, and have him transition to C and learn the PK. Depending on the cap situation, maybe they can get him some NHL games and practices when both teams are home.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Still wondering where the notion this guy can play top six is coming from.
Well Christina because hes pegged as a Healthier Kucherov with an Ovechkin like shot. He should at least provide us five 100 point seasons before his late 20s

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i'd like to hear what the coaches think of his defensive game. that to me would tell the tale on where he is at.

to me he is not noticeably trailing the play or getting burned so i think/hope it is system adjustment.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I've mentioned this many times before and is a source of my reservations with Pods. Russian forwards developing in Russia tends to take a longer time to become contributors at the NHL level. All of his contemporaries took time to become contributors at the NHL level (assuming they get there): Denisenko, Gurionov, Kratsov. We all wish Pods is in a special category and was buoyed by Hoglander's success last season but the other top Russian forward prospects couldn't step in at 19/20 or maybe even 21.

What the KHL does seem to do a good job of is that players like Pods does have pro style habits. We could probably bring him along slowly which probably suits Green just fine as Pods plays the type of game that Green likes.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He seems to be playing conservatively when I watch him. More like he’s just trying not to make a mistake. But I do like the vision he’s shown at times. Definitely seems like he’s more a playmaker.

I still feel like he’s really a C. And long term that would be good. IMO they should send him down to Abby, and have him transition to C and learn the PK. Depending on the cap situation, maybe they can get him some NHL games and practices when both teams are home.
Yes he is playing cautiously. He can do everything Will Lockwood can and much more. He should be on the team to start the season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i'd like to hear what the coaches think of his defensive game. that to me would tell the tale on where he is at.

to me he is not noticeably trailing the play or getting burned so i think/hope it is system adjustment.

I think the effort level has been decent and his overall positioning hasn't been an issue (although not standout in either case, either) but his puck management and decision-making has been poor.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think the effort level has been decent and his overall positioning hasn't been an issue (although not standout in either case, either) but his puck management and decision-making has been poor.
Not sure how you are getting that. I’ve watched his shifts closely, though I’ve missed a bit of the games, but he looks like he is making safe decisions.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

You can definitely see the transition from the bigger ice is slowing his decisions.

I think Podkolzin would be best suited for 10-15 games in the AHL and then re-evakuate where he's at.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a bit disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad