Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign F Kellan Lain to an ELC

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks.com has a decent article up about Lain.
Just reading this article (some interesting quotes), i have a point of confusion. Based on the old CBA rules regarding ELC, he is 23 and thus, would have to sign a 2 year ELC. But in this article it states a 3 year contract. Then i checked capgeek and its a one year contract. Probably makes minimal difference to most, but i'm hoping someone could verify which is correct.

This following quote from his coach is pretty much what all LSSU fans said about him. Can't complain, the CCHA refs drove him into our arms.
“When you get a five in our league you also get a 10 with it to and he had a couple check from behinds and a couple hit to the heads. To be honest, our league kind of ran him out of college hockey as every time he hit a guy it was a penalty because he is so big.â€

Nice to see he is already friends with Price.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
How close to NHL ready is he supposed to be? If he's close to NHL ready, then in a year or two the Canucks could have revamped bottom 6 centers with Gaunce and Lain making the transition. Combine with a healthy Kesler and there would be a lot of size down the middle.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't like it. This is how GMs end up chasing the trend rather than setting it. The trend moves on just in time for you to find you out you aren't in anymore. The year Boston won the cup they nearly lost to an injury hit team of smurfs in Montreal, nearly lost to a fairly soft Tampa, nearly lost to injury ravaged Canucks. A lucky bounced for Montreal and would Boston go on a massive rebuild around aquiring smurfs?

Just build the best team can and let the chips fall where they may, with a bit of luck your style becomes the in one.

When the 04-05 lockout the game was supposed to open up. After all those concussion scares though - which is what I suspect led to it - the league started allowing more obstruction until we saw what we got in the 2011 and 2012 playoffs. But after this recent lockout we all thought it would go back to allowing for more speed and skill again, and the refs were actually calling penalties at the beginning of the year. Not anymore though from the way it has been going on for the last little while, which is unfortunate but after every lockout it goes downhill which seems to be the only real trend going on here.

I don't feel like the Canucks were ever a completely skill-based team even at the height of their success in 2010-11. They've always had a lot of fast skaters here. But they've needed that big body who can take the puck to the net and stand their ground in front of the goalie. All Cup champions have had a few power forwards who can do that, regardless of the identity they had. To me it's all about having a good balance of attributes in order to win, I think.

They've also gotten more guys who can grind it out along the wall as this coaching staff wants them to be a cycling team. Whether you agree with it not is up for debate but that's the direction they've chosen to go in.

Plus it's not like we're forgoing all skill in favour of size - the guys he's been trying to acquire (Booth, Kassian) have a mix of skill and grit as well.

I think sometimes it's easy to feel we have a lack of skill because the goals haven't been coming this year although we have largely the same personnel from that dominant season, plus we're not very good at shootouts nor do we have crazy dangles despite a history of Top 6 production from these same 'tweener' two-way wingers, but the offense isn't flowing due to another more concerning reason...

But I think right now they still have the personnel to play it any style you want. Grinding on the cycle, rush plays. There are still major elements of this team that can score off the rush if they get the chance. Just need some more good shooters in the lineup IMO.

Last edited:

LolClarkson*

What's he doing nowadays? Right, toiling away in the minors. Skipping him was hardly a bad thing. He's yet to see even a single game at the NHL at this point.

Skipping him was a bad thing if he's just going to develop a skill player and then flip him for what amounts to the same thing.If we had Beach now, he would be getting the call.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Canucks.com has a decent article up about Lain. His NCAA coach talks about how he's a skinny kid that needs to fill out his frame. If this guy is skinny at 225, what weight will he ideally play at? Probably upwards of 240lbs. Someone that big that likes to hit to hurt - that's a scary proposition for those that play against him. Those that pined for Artyukin must love this signing...

I've pined for Artyukin twice in the last month alone and I loved this signing right away. A 6'6 4th line center who's mean and can play solid defense would be awesome. If he can develop into a mean, gritty 3rd line shutdown center, that would be incredible.

ZenMaster*

I've pined for Artyukin twice in the last month alone and I loved this signing right away. A 6'6 4th line center who's mean and can play solid defense would be awesome. If he can develop into a mean, gritty 3rd line shutdown center, that would be incredible.

I think he can be the ideal 4th line center while Gaunce develops as defensive 3rd like center that can chip in offensively.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Skipping him was a bad thing if he's just going to develop a skill player and then flip him for what amounts to the same thing.If we had Beach now, he would be getting the call.

Beach is awful. There's a reason why he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

JA

As per the "NHL Guide to Boring Player Nicknames," Kellan Lain will either be known as "Kelly," "Laino," or "Lainy" when he joins the team.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You haven't really followed the Black Hawks all that much. When they were running into depth problems and resorted to calling up crap like John Scott over Beach - that should tell you something. I mean, the guy hasn't even gotten one NHL game under his belt yet.

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I want this guy to succeed just so that we have such a huge guy on the team. :)

Hard to get excited too much about a depth signing, but I really like direction Gillis is taking the team. Seems like he has correctly identified the fact that great bottom 6 players are really hard to get, and if you get them other than developing them yourself they are really expensive.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I want this guy to succeed just so that we have such a huge guy on the team. :)

Hard to get excited too much about a depth signing, but I really like direction Gillis is taking the team. Seems like he has correctly identified the fact that great bottom 6 players are really hard to get, and if you get them other than developing them yourself they are really expensive.

I personally think he's trying to build a team of huge 40-50 point forwards to replace the Sedin era haha. Then, pray we get some top end talent somehow, and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad