Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign F Kellan Lain to an ELC

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
We have to wait and see how good this kids skating and hockey sense are before passing judgement. If he can skate he can cover a lot of ice with that wingspan it's a huge plus. If he has a lot of hockey sense he will be able to make the right reads in the defensive and neutral zone.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
As an older rookie, he should make his mark sooner rather than later if he is capable of being an NHLer. Best case senario, he can replace the hole left by Manny real soon.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I like beef as much as anyone but just watch there be a further crack down in the next couple of years on all physical aspects of the game as they attempt to deal with the decline in scoring.

Every legit shoulder-leading hit this guy delivers will be called an elbow. Two minutes for being huge a la Alberts.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I like beef as much as anyone but just watch there be a further crack down in the next couple of years on all physical aspects of the game as they attempt to deal with the decline in scoring.

Every legit shoulder-leading hit this guy delivers will be called an elbow. Two minutes for being huge a la Alberts.

It would be just our luck for that to happen. Gillis is clearly trying to get more size in the system given the rule changes over the past few years. NHL can't seem to decide what they want.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
How are people complaining about signing a young player who has the potential to become a decent bottom six player while bringing the assets (size and grit) this team is looking for? I cannot believe anyone could see this signing as anything but a positive. This signing is a lottery ticket that we got for free.

Last edited:

The Rock

May 18, 2007
imo Lain's upside is a 4th liner center. At 24, Steckel was a top line ahl center with 60 points.

If Lain can fill our 4C spot in 2 years and kick someone's *ss every now and then it would be perfect.

Nov 1, 2011
imo Lain's upside is a 4th liner center. At 24, Steckel was a top line ahl center with 60 points.

If Lain can fill our 4C spot in 2 years and kick someone's *ss every now and then it would be perfect.

I wish people would stop talking about offense.

Steckel's problem is that he can't skate well enough to be a shutdown centre. We are hopping Lain becomes a guy you can match-up against Getzlaf/Kopitar etc. If he can skate well and actually shut these guys down, nobody cares if he scores 2 goals and 3 points. If Steckel could skate better he'd be a much more sought after commodity.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Greetings Canucks fans!

Just wanted to say, good pick-up by your team on signing Kellen Lain. I've had a chance to watch Kellen quite a bit at Lake Superior State. I had some heard rumblings that he would sign, I just didn't think it was going to be this soon. But he's a player that may be able to fill a need for Vancouver (you all would know that better than I would).

I would like to add a couple of things to what has been posted already about Kellen. And this is based on my own observations.

First, as has been obviously noted, Kellen is big and he's physical. But in watching him throughout his NCAA career, the two areas where he has made really good progress IMO is using his size and strength more effectively in the dirty areas and his skating. He's a tough body to move and that was especially noticeable this season in his play along the walls. He does a good job of protecting the puck and uses his long reach well in both stripping pucks from opposing players and maintaining puck possession.

When I first saw Kellen at LSSU nearly three years ago, the thing that jumped out at me was his awkward skating. Now fast forward to this season, his skating has gotten significantly better. His strides are much smoother and powerful. He's developed a bit more speed and agility and his feet are better too.

As for what type of player he'll be? As someone already mentioned, he'll probably be a third or fourth line guy. IMO, he'll be best suited on the checking/muck-and-grind line.

Anyway, I hope this added info helps. :)

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Greetings Canucks fans!

Just wanted to say, good pick-up by your team on signing Kellen Lain. I've had a chance to watch Kellen quite a bit at Lake Superior State. I had some heard rumblings that he would sign, I just didn't think it was going to be this soon. But he's a player that may be able to fill a need for Vancouver (you all would know that better than I would).

I would like to add a couple of things to what has been posted already about Kellen. And this is based on my own observations.

First, as has been obviously noted, Kellen is big and he's physical. But in watching him throughout his NCAA career, the two areas where he has made really good progress IMO is using his size and strength more effectively in the dirty areas and his skating. He's a tough body to move and that was especially noticeable this season in his play along the walls. He does a good job of protecting the puck and uses his long reach well in both stripping pucks from opposing players and maintaining puck possession.

When I first saw Kellen at LSSU nearly three years ago, the thing that jumped out at me was his awkward skating. Now fast forward to this season, his skating has gotten significantly better. His strides are much smoother and powerful. He's developed a bit more speed and agility and his feet are better too.

As for what type of player he'll be? As someone already mentioned, he'll probably be a third or fourth line guy. IMO, he'll be best suited on the checking/muck-and-grind line.

Thanks Oilers Chick, I always appreciate your NCAA insight.

Big Naissak

4 8 15 16 23 42
Mar 28, 2012
Edmonton, Canucks.
Greetings Canucks fans!

Excellent info, we appreciate it and I'm lovin' this guy already.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No pressure kid, but the team's counting on you to get everything else going for us. Offence, defence, goaltending, coaching, even concession sales....if you don't fix it all...well, the internet hockey fans will be screaming "bust".

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
No pressure kid, but the team's counting on you to get everything else going for us. Offence, defence, goaltending, coaching, even concession sales....if you don't fix it all...well, the internet hockey fans will be screaming "bust".

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::biglaugh:

So true.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Also, don't get hurt or it'll be your fault for not being durable.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Mike Gillis is getting out of control with his size trip.

He goes from Pavol Demitra, Micheal Samuellson and skipping Kyle Beach in the draft to this ? :fight::pb:

What's he doing nowadays? Right, toiling away in the minors. Skipping him was hardly a bad thing. He's yet to see even a single game at the NHL at this point.

94eleven

fka Loosemonkeys
Dec 29, 2007
Denver, Colorado
The thing I like about a signing like this is it allows for a little more of a boom/bust philosophy outside the top-2 rounds in the draft. Being able to pick up players who can be depth players without using picks allows you to make home run swings in the draft instead of having to settle for singles.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It would be just our luck for that to happen. Gillis is clearly trying to get more size in the system given the rule changes over the past few years. NHL can't seem to decide what they want.

I don't like it. This is how GMs end up chasing the trend rather than setting it. The trend moves on just in time for you to find you out you aren't in anymore. The year Boston won the cup they nearly lost to an injury hit team of smurfs in Montreal, nearly lost to a fairly soft Tampa, nearly lost to injury ravaged Canucks. A lucky bounce for Montreal and would Boston go on a massive rebuild around aquiring smurfs?

Just build the best team can and let the chips fall where they may, with a bit of luck your style becomes the in one.

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Oh great another 6"6 goon that is 23 years old... what a waste of a contract space.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Canucks.com has a decent article up about Lain. His NCAA coach talks about how he's a skinny kid that needs to fill out his frame. If this guy is skinny at 225, what weight will he ideally play at? Probably upwards of 240lbs. Someone that big that likes to hit to hurt - that's a scary proposition for those that play against him. Those that pined for Artyukin must love this signing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->