Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign F Kellan Lain to an ELC

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
A more physical David Steckel is probably about as much as you could ask for from this. That's a useful player to have if Lain can reach that level.

Sounds like a good bodychecker. Everything now will depend on his fighting ability which has not been tested. Probably will not be a centerman in the NHL. Lapierre is not going to be replaced with this guy. He probably needs to develop into an enforcer type like Parros or Westgarth

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Or perhaps a Mike Rupp if we are lucky.

Although Rupp was a very high draft pick IIRC.

No risk, moderate reward. Good to see Gillis is in the mix with these FAs. If I was a fan of a team that wasn't, I'd be pretty pissed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Some of these signings have yielded at worst solid depth (Volpatti before he was waived), and at best some promising pieces (Tanev, Lack, Archibald). There's some misses sprinkled in there like Walsky and Oberg (although the latter helped fetch us Higgins) but these types of signings are a great way to stock our cupboard.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't see him replacing Lappy next year - Lain's gotta develop his skills on the farm after all.

ZenMaster*

More info:

“We see him as a bottom end centre, more like Paul Gaustad or maybe a David Steckel type player. That kind of guy,” Vancouver assistant GM Laurence Gilman said. “He can be a shutdown centre.
“He’s a 6-foot-6, 220-pound centre with decent puck skills who plays with edge and is a very good skater. Those type of players don’t just grow on trees. We were very fortunate to get him, he was highly sought after.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/16/canucks-sign-kellan-lain-and-may-not-be-done/

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How many contracts are we at right now? Excluding the contracts that are sliding (Gaunce, Corrado), I think we are at 49 now? Can anyone confirm?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
How many contracts are we at right now? Excluding the contracts that are sliding (Gaunce, Corrado), I think we are at 49 now? Can anyone confirm?

I don't think either this one or the Blomstrand one count until next season, do they? Since we have a bunch of guys coming off our books by then, we're perfectly fine.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

I believe u are correct so I expect the canucks to get rid of a contract or 2 since there are 3 college UFAs they are interested still available

But that depends on if blomstrand and lain sign ato/pto's with the wolves or not. If they do sign those then we are still at 47 since that means blomstrand and lain's contracts slide. If they don't sign one of those it means they are using their contract with the canucks as their contract to play with the wolves

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If we're ever forced to do a rebuild and are drafting top-end talent in a couple of years, at least we can do so with the confidence that talent has a supporting cast ready to go. You need to develop depth and role players with your prospects as much as you need to have top end talent. Having one without the other gets you Edmonton.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm pumped for Lain, nearly every scouting report points out he skates very well, gritty, and not a liability.

Those are the exact qualities you need to win the cup. What's the worse that could happen, he becomes a 6'6" 4th line center that wins face offs and plays with an edge. I'll take it all day, pumped he chose the Nucks :yo:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
God no. He'll start at the AHL level.

Here's hoping we can snag Laganierre or Sustr, would be like getting a free top 90 pick in the draft.

Agreed. I have my fingers crossed but from what the so called insider are saying we are a long shot.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Dave Steckel?

Don't think I've often heard Steckel described as mean or having much of a physical game though.

Gotta like this guy's size anyway. Can he fight? That would be pretty bad ass.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
If we're ever forced to do a rebuild and are drafting top-end talent in a couple of years, at least we can do so with the confidence that talent has a supporting cast ready to go. You need to develop depth and role players with your prospects as much as you need to have top end talent. Having one without the other gets you Edmonton.

Very good point IMO.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Could have had Steckl for a 7th round pick and a throw in prospect. 6'6" and skilled at faceoffs. Gillis... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There's a level difference between Steckel and Gaustad. If Lain can be more the latter than the former, the Canucks win big here. Have to wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->