Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Don't see a lot of picks this high from the Belarusian second league.

I would be surprised if he's ready for the KHL or AHL this season considering he hasn't been able to crack the top Belarusian league. More likely QMJHL or Belarusian league.

Even though he is from Europe, I believe because he was drafted by a QMJHL team before he was drafted by an NHL team—he is subject to the same NHL-CHL agreement where he cannot play in the AHL until he is 20. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t like drafting Russians (or Belorussians) unless they’re elite guys at the top end of the first round.

Middling prospects rarely want to stick it out in the AHL when they can make more money playing at home. And hit rates on Russians in the mid rounds absolutely suck. Including for us - 11 Russians picked in the 2nd round or later on the last 20 years has given us one season of Tryamkin.

Reactions: clay and dwarf

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t like drafting Russians (or Belorussians) unless they’re elite guys at the top end of the first round.

Middling prospects rarely want to stick it out in the AHL when they can make more money playing at home. And hit rates on Russians in the mid rounds absolutely suck. Including for us - 11 Russians picked in the 2nd round or later on the last 20 years has given us one season of Tryamkin.
Sure, but WHAT A SEASON!

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hmm Aatu Raty / Stankoven would’ve been nice. I guess we’ll bump this in 5 years.

Reactions: dwarf

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Even though he is from Europe, I believe because he was drafted by a QMJHL team before he was drafted by an NHL team—he is subject to the same NHL-CHL agreement where he cannot play in the AHL until he is 20. Can someone confirm if this is correct?
No, that only applies to players drafted out of the CHL. Being drafted by a CHL team doesn't affect his AHL eligibility.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

And 8 games of Sergei Shirokov.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Depends on the economy/price of oil in Russia. Back when "times were good", even higher round picks/NHL star players had the Russian league as a real viable alternative to the NHL. I'm not sure how it is now.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
We've seen a number of Eastern European prospects drafted by the Canucks go the Q and then return home, which is concerning. But, Klimovich seems to be in the same mold of Podkolzin - Hoglander - Zlodyoev - Costmar; skilled, high-motor, nasty guys to play against.

I can only complain that we don't have more picks here.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Was really hoping Chayka or Morrow would be there, but we missed out by a couple picks. I won't speak this kid's upside because I know absolutely nothing about this player.. But I don't like who we left on the board.

Pinelli was considered a 1st round talent by many and went a pick later to LA, that makes me nervous.

Raty would have been worth the gamble here, same with Stankoven. Peart, Tuoomala, Heimosalmi.. Kisakov could have been a fun gamble.

Oh well, we'll see I guess!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Was really hoping Chayka or Morrow would be there, but we missed out by a couple picks. I won't speak this kid's upside because I know absolutely nothing about this player.. But I don't like who we left on the board.

Pinelli was considered a 1st round talent by many and went a pick later to LA, that makes me nervous.

Raty would have been worth the gamble here, same with Stankoven. Peart, Tuoomala, Heimosalmi.. Kisakov could have been a fun gamble.

Oh well, we'll see I guess!
If you’re okay with a bottom 6 player, Raty would have been fine. I’m happy with the shot at top 6 upside with Klimovich though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So no 9th overall, no other top-100 picks, so they select a reach-pick out of an essentially undrafted league?

Can't say I know much about this player, but if you're looking for a feisty, hard-working player, Stankoven was ranked higher by every scouting service out there. I liked Chibrikov and Peart quite a lot too.

Yeah, he had 6 goals at the U18s though, so this is definitely another Benning-Juolevi case of "seen him good at 1 tournament".

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So no 9th overall, no other top-100 picks, so they select a reach-pick out of an essentially undrafted league?

Can't say I know much about this player, but if you're looking for a feisty, hard-working player, Stankoven was ranked higher by every scouting service out there. I liked Chibrikob and Peart quite a lot too.

Yeah, he had 6 goals at the U18s though, so this is definitely another Benning-Juolevi case of "seen him good at 1 tournament".
My thoughts exactly. Klimovich was on nobody's radar before he burst on to the scene in the U-18 tournament where he lit it up. You'd hope that the Canuck scouts have been monitoring this kid, and that they didn't pick him based on one tournament.

But with the Pandemic and the fact that he's been playing Belarus, it's doubtful they could have seen that much of him. And based on the mock drafts from guys like Button, McKenzie and Consentino, he was a definite 'reach' at 41st overall.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

Can't say I know much about this player, but if you're looking for a feisty, hard-working player, Stankoven was ranked higher by every scouting service out there. I liked Chibrikob and Peart quite a lot too.

Not a reach IMO. Was 2nd best available on my board.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

Can't say I know much about this player, but if you're looking for a feisty, hard-working player, Stankoven was ranked higher by every scouting service out there. I liked Chibrikov and Peart quite a lot too.

A small sample size is all Jimbo needs to fully make a conclusion.

SOLD!!!!

Reactions: dwarf and bossram

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
All 6 of his goals were on the PP. Didn’t have an ES point in the tournament.

He can rip the puck and seems to have goal scoring instincts but seems like a bit of a one trick pony. Skating is average.

Did you say “rip the puck!” All that Benning likely saw.

No idea about the kid. Let’s see how he develops.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My thoughts exactly. Klimovich was on nobody's radar before he burst on to the scene in the U-18 tournament where he lit it up. You'd hope that the Canuck scouts have been monitoring this kid, and that they didn't pick him based on one tournament.

But with the Pandemic and the fact that he's been playing Belarus, it's doubtful they could have seen that much of him. And based on the mock drafts from guys like Button, McKenzie and Consentino, he was a definite 'reach' at 41st overall.

It definitely smells like a classic "Benning saw him at 1 tournament" situation. He's done it before and I don't trust his decision making, so I'm going to assume this is what the selection is about.

Not a reach IMO. Was 2nd best available on my board.

Why do you like him that high over some of the other consensus higher-rated prospects? There are really no other scouting services that had him this high? Catch many tier 2 Belarussian league games?

EDIT: And all of his goals at the U18 were on the PP?

Reactions: MS

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

Just speculation on your part. You have no idea how much time and effort they took in viewing this kid. Is anybody here able to have an objective opinion or is everything just a shot at Benning?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Just speculation on your part. You have no idea how much time and effort they took in viewing this kid. Is anybody here able to have an objective opinion or is everything just a shot at Benning?

I'd give Benning the benefit of the doubt if he'd ever actually earned it.

Considering he's done exactly the same situation before with Juolevi, I'm not gonna assume otherwise.

Reactions: dwarf

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I'd give Benning the benefit of the doubt if he'd ever actually earned it.

Considering he's done exactly the same situation before with Juolevi, I'm not gonna assume otherwise.
What makes you think he only saw Juolevi at the wjc? Dude was playing for one the most high profile junior teams in the country with another surefire 1st round pick on his team. Pretty sure he would have seen London at some point. That he was wrong about him is the problem, not where and when he saw him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad