Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really can't figure out what it is out there...maybe it's just the camera angle on the AHL Network.....Hockey DB lists Klimovich at 6'2", but he just looks a lot bigger than that to me. Maybe it's just the fact the a lot of forwards and d-men in the AHL who are 6' or under.

One thing's for certain. He's already a force along the wall, and once he's two or three years older, you could easily see him winning a majority of puck battles along the wall in the NHL.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hopefully he takes a step next year and solidifies himself in Abbys top 6. He will definitely be an interesting player to watch develop over the next couple of season as he has the tool belt but, needs to refine his tools a bit

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That was a sublime power move by Klimovich.....been waiting for most of the season for this kid to start using his size and strength, and drive the net from the outside. Once he starts doing it regularly, look out.

If he can start forcing d-men wide to respect his outside speed, that will start to open up the middle of the ice for him. Quietly, Klimovich has had a very solid rookie season in the AHL.

Clearly the right move to send him to Abbotsford, and keep playing him despite some early hiccups.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...First Podkolzin and now Klimovich....Those Russians and Belarussians marry young....Mature beyond their years I guess.....and looking at it positively, no 'Jake Virtanen' path for these two guys.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is where signing a player early who barely develops comes back to bite you.

It was baffling to have him jump to AHL instead of two years in the QMJHL (where his CHL were) in the first place.

Was the wrong pick then, and it was the wrong pick now.
With the import draft, there's no trading between CHL leagues for a future pick so that he ended up in the WHL team somewhere in the Pacific Northwest?
Jumping to the A is a big step. Even with a bigger player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This is where signing a player early who barely develops comes back to bite you.

It was baffling to have him jump to AHL instead of two years in the QMJHL (where his CHL were) in the first place.

Hindsight 20/20 post. You have to remember he came from Belarus and could have really used the money?

He was doing fine under Colliton and working with Higgins the Sedins etc.

He's still got a ton of runway to make improvements it's just he's making 80k playing 70 games getting concussed when he can cash in a little and continue to work on his game in the KHL. Cost of living is a lot in the lower mainland and he's already married and maybe starting a family. Don't know the details but if he gets 300-400k and his expenses covered that's a massive financial step that gives him some breathing room

i liked the pick. Too bad about the set backs and lack of development in puck decisions as his skills are unreal

Reactions: Indiana

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's got 2 more years left.

Oh my bad.

This is the usually the story with a 2nd rd pick. There's very few 'right' selections.

I think he was worth the gamble he had a very high upside skillset and unfortunately his game just hasn't developed enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad