Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I like Garland but let's chill out on the hype.

I've seen some people pegging him for 60-70 points next year. Let's all relax... the sample size is relatively small with this player.

Remember the last time we freaked out about someone with a small sample size of excellence? He got traded for a third round pick in a year so...
I'd still rather have Schmidt than Hamonic and the poolman (similar cap hit) and I'm a fan of Hamonic.

Reactions: Indiana

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
I mean the simple litmus test is team performance.

And in 7 years or so the team has performed poorly.

That tells you right there the quality of management. Individual moves in a vacuum aside.

Thats why its funny(crazy not ha ha) you have the usuals not only defending Jim Benning but also whining about the "negativity".
And you have the usuals who will hate a move no matter if it’s good or not due to their hate, but for some reason you didn’t mention them?

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
So... would you rather take Garland on his contract, or Coleman on his new one?

I think the answer is obvious.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not so obvious when factoring the considerable asset cost beyond cash and cap hit for the Canucks to obtain Garland whereas Coleman cost the Flames nothing else.

The Flames are essentially paying Coleman for his 30-35 years. The Canucks are paying Garland for his 25-29 years. Coleman has been a very good player but he could be just a 4th line player in his last 2-3 years. What is the asset cost to get rid of him then?

The odds are that the Canucks are paying Garland for the rest of his prime years. The Flames are paying for Coleman's declining years. The other thing is that Coleman is an elite 3rd line player. Garland is either an elite 2nd line player or solid 1st line player.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The Flames are essentially paying Coleman for his 30-35 years. The Canucks are paying Garland for his 25-29 years. Coleman has been a very good player but he could be just a 4th line player in his last 2-3 years. What is the asset cost to get rid of him then?

The odds are that the Canucks are paying Garland for the rest of his prime years. The Flames are paying for Coleman's declining years. The other thing is that Coleman is an elite 3rd line player. Garland is either an elite 2nd line player or solid 1st line player.

Again: Garland and his new contract required a significant outlay of draft capital to obtain; there was no cost to the Flames for acquiring Coleman except for the terms of the contract itself. So for somebody just to say that they'd take Garland at his age and with his contract terms over Coleman at his age with his contract terms, leaving the other pertinent factors unconsidered... well, that's not how it worked in the real world.

Coleman is a quality player and I'd encourage anyone who thinks he's short on offensive skill to compare his goals and points per game rates at even strength over the past three seasons to the rest of the league's forwards. He is a late-blooming, very versatile player with competencies in several areas and he skates well, plus he has only missed about 10 games in his career to this point. I think his level of play will probably age quite gracefully.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If we suck this season, this is a player that is very easily tradable for good value.

Hopefully, it would be a new GM making the trade.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Garland said today on Donnie and Dhali that he's 5'8'' 177. So shorter but heavier than he's listed.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Sometimes it's just the player himself. Neil for Lucic.

Heck maybe the returns Coleman.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
How do you all compare this player to Gallagher? Tenacity and grit are similar?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
That doesnt matter anymore to "PRO scouts" like it used to. He has a motor, thats all that matters.
It did matter to pro scouts. He just proved them wrong. I only posted that because it's maybe the first time i've heard an nhl player correct an interviewer on their height and weight. Certainly the first time i've heard an nhl player correct their listed height down from 5'10" to 5'8". Made me like him more and i was already a fan.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
It did matter to pro scouts. He just proved them wrong. I only posted that because it's maybe the first time i've heard an nhl player correct an interviewer on their height and weight. Certainly the first time i've heard an nhl player correct their listed height down from 5'10" to 5'8". Made me like him more and i was already a fan.

I'm 5'7 at best, and 5'8 is the fibbed number I use.
He's not 5'10, and he's probably not 5'8 either.

He's just preparing us for the reality that he is a very small player.
Obviously an offensively gifted little wolverine, but he's even smaller than Quinn Hughes (in height and weight).

It's literally my only worry with this player. Otherwise, I think he's going to match his career high in points by mid-season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
FAN is actually 100% on the mark with that comment. A free agent isn’t without opportunity cost.

I used to hate seeing similar arguments about our past free agent blunders that were like “well he was free, had to pay a premium to get him in $ but we don’t lose any assets”

like those mistakes have immense cost in your cap structure and your overall opportunity cost - short and long term.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I'm 5'7 at best, and 5'8 is the fibbed number I use.
He's not 5'10, and he's probably not 5'8 either.

He's just preparing us for the reality that he is a very small player.
Obviously an offensively gifted little wolverine, but he's even smaller than Quinn Hughes (in height and weight).

It's literally my only worry with this player. Otherwise, I think he's going to match his career high in points by mid-season.
He said in his interview he is 5’8” and 178, which is fairly sticky for his height. He looks strong on his feet.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And you have the usuals who will hate a move no matter if it’s good or not due to their hate, but for some reason you didn’t mention them?
I hate Benning but I don’t hate Garland. You know people like me hate Benning because 99% of his moves suck. The odd time it doesn’t, we are fine with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad