Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Again: Garland and his new contract required a significant outlay of draft capital to obtain; there was no cost to the Flames for acquiring Coleman except for the terms of the contract itself. So for somebody just to say that they'd take Garland at his age and with his contract terms over Coleman at his age with his contract terms, leaving the other pertinent factors unconsidered... well, that's not how it worked in the real world.

Coleman is a quality player and I'd encourage anyone who thinks he's short on offensive skill to compare his goals and points per game rates at even strength over the past three seasons to the rest of the league's forwards. He is a late-blooming, very versatile player with competencies in several areas and he skates well, plus he has only missed about 10 games in his career to this point. I think his level of play will probably age quite gracefully.

I don't disagree with your overall points and I am fully aware of the acquisition cost of getting Garland. I did mention the asset cost of getting rid of Coleman if he doesn't age gracefully in comparison.

I like Coleman a lot. He's probably going to play 3rd line C or a top 6 wing role. He'll probably score 20+ goals and come in at ~40 points or just under while playing excellent D. But he's turning 30 in November. Remember Eriksson's UFA season? All of those UFAs did not age well, even the younger Okposo.

With UFAs, you almost always end up overpaying. What are the chances the Flames get good value out of Coleman's contract for 5 years, nevermind 6? With guys Garland's age you have a much higher chance of getting value out of his contract for all 5 years. There's value in that.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Let’s hope he doesn’t turn into David booth 2.0

It’s been a while since we had a player with so much hype. Unfortunately we all know how that usually goes ….

Reactions: TruKnyte

Rey

Jan 11, 2007

The fans here were completely mixed about Miller trade. much more negative than positive.

I don’t know what it is, maybe fans are finding ways to justify acquiring OEL and/or the loss of Tofolli.

How does acquiring Garland suddenly make the top 9, the best forward group in Canucks history ? How are we so sure that he’s a potential 60 plus point forward here? Why is no one saying anything about his defensive game? Or the way he plays could cause him to wear down ? A feisty 5”8/5”9 forward..

why is his age the reason why he’s better than anyone else signed with the similar type of money. Hyman? Coleman? Danault? I know these guys will make a impact

If anything, isn’t OEL a player with more sample size that you can say you know what you are going to get. You wonder if more than half of the fan base just listen to the radio and use the popular opinion as their own.
Monkey see Monkey do. Let’s hope everyone’s right about this one ….

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He said in his interview he is 5’8” and 178, which is fairly sticky for his height. He looks strong on his feet.
Like you said he is a known player. He is not a draft choice. His size has not been a issue in his improvement thus far and he is not shrinking. He has shown he can play at his size while upsetting star players like McKinnon.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yikes, Coleman? Garland returned a top 10 pick for a reason. He is younger and much better than Coleman. He was also not surrounded by back to back SC winning team talent.

Bingo. With a fat new contract and added responsibility Coleman's contract is horrible. He's a good 3rd line player insane overpayment.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Bingo. With a fat new contract and added responsibility Coleman's contract is horrible. He's a good 3rd line player insane overpayment.

Cant believe he got that contract. He is like a prime mason raymond level player (not style, but level.... 2nd/3rd liner). Garland is a top 6 for sure and possible 1st liner for years to come.

Reactions: flying v 604

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no concerns about Conor Garland becoming the second-coming of David Booth or even Antoine Roussel.

Based on the comments from the Phoenix beat-writers, on a lot of nights Garland was the only generating anything on the forward line. He's had to fight for a spot on every team he's ever played for. And his compete level is off the charts.

I think Alex Burrows might be a better comparable.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I have no concerns about Conor Garland becoming the second-coming of David Booth or even Antoine Roussel.

Based on the comments from the Phoenix beat-writers, on a lot of nights Garland was the only generating anything on the forward line. He's had to fight for a spot on every team he's ever played for. And his compete level is off the charts.

I think Alex Burrows might be a better comparable.
According to Arizona fans..he's Brad Marchand Lite.
...getting under the skin of opposing players...

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
why is his age the reason why he’s better than anyone else signed with the similar type of money. Hyman? Coleman? Danault? I know these guys will make a impact
I'm not going to say Garland is a tier above guys like Hyman, Coleman, Danaultz etc (all four of these players are legit top 6 talent analytically speaking). With that being said, the reason Garland's contract is viewed better due to age is because age curve. Hyman, Danault, and Coleman are all on the later end of their 20s and thus more likely to decline whereas Garland's contract takes him throughout his prime.

If anything, isn’t OEL a player with more sample size that you can say you know what you are going to get. You wonder if more than half of the fan base just listen to the radio and use the popular opinion as their own.
Monkey see Monkey do. Let’s hope everyone’s right about this one ….
OEL has experienced serious decline the last four years whereas Garland have developed in a top 6 threat the last two seasons. With the sample size argument, you have to go back to 2016 if you want to hype him over Garland which is problematic. 2016 OEL and current OEL are completely two different players.

Reactions: MarkMM and Grantham

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
According to Arizona fans..he's Brad Marchand Lite.
...getting under the skin of opposing players...
Minus the goofy face licking and other antics. His fearless personality will rub off well on his teammates. Hoglander has that quality too, and it looks like Podz is like that as well. I like the character of this team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you break it down, the Canucks jettisoned $12m in salaries by sending Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel down the road. And they brought in $7m in salary with OEL, and with the Garland contract, it basically hits the same $12m mark.

But as other posters have pointed out, the three contracts they sent to Arizona only had a year to run. The $12m for Garland and OEL will now run for another six seasons.

So they basically only kicked their cap problems down the road a bit. And of course they had to sweeten the deal with a top-10 draft pick and a second rounder next year.

But I guess if you're Benning....desperate times call for desperate measures. His job is on the line if things don't work out.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
When you break it down, the Canucks jettisoned $12m in salaries by sending Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel down the road. And they brought in $7m in salary with OEL, and with the Garland contract, it basically hits the same $12m mark.

But as other posters have pointed out, the three contracts they sent to Arizona only had a year to run. The $12m for Garland and OEL will now run for another six seasons.

So they basically only kicked their cap problems down the road a bit. And of course they had to sweeten the deal with a top-10 draft pick and a second rounder next year.

But I guess if you're Benning....desperate times call for desperate measures. His job is on the line if things don't work out.

12 million in - 12 million out

but

legit young top six winger in and adequate defenseman ( ranging from let’s wait and see to it’s already beyond hopeless ) in and Crap Crap Crap out

Feb 19, 2018
He bought more time in the flat cap time period. By the time these contacts are causing trouble the cap might have gone up 8 million or so. Rarely mentioned and deserves credit while improving the team now.

Reactions: alternate

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I had Garland in my fantasy pool the last two years as a late pick so I ended up watching him play a fair bit. I absolutely love this player. If he was bigger he would be a star with the non-stop energy. For Marchand-esq in his style of play, really agitates other teams, but usually with less of the extra BS that Marchand brings. Obviously not to that level but he very much can be that style of player for us, just might need to tone down some of the contact over the course of his contract or risk a lot of injuries.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It would seem counterintuitive to put a small guy like Garland on a line with the slightly built Pettersson, but Garland's hockey IQ might be a better match with Pettersson. Plus Garland can make more happen on his own, which would take more attention off Pettersson, as opposed to Boeser, who kind of waits for Pettersson to set him up. Would like to at least see a Pettersson Garland combo in the pre-season.

Reactions: alternate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad