Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Gardiner wouldn't have signed here, let alone sign here for 5 years at 6 million each. so we can now stop the "I would have used that money to sign Gardiner instead, Benning is a dummy" b.s

He also plays on the left side so I feel like it's pretty obvious as to why we wouldnt have signed him.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Speaking of bad takes ...

Not really sure what points Myers scored in 2009 have to do with right now.

Gardiner has outscored Myers by 75% over the past two years - 35 ES points/82 GP vs. 20/82. Gardiner is on a different planet from Myers as a transition defender.

Talk to Leafs fans and see what their thoughts are on him :)))

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Talk to Leafs fans and see what their thoughts are on him :)))

He's not good defensively and their thoughts on his defensive play aren't much different than Winnipeg fans' thoughts on Myers' defensive play.

Difference is that Gardiner transitions the puck exceptionally well. What he does is worth the defensive foibles if you use him properly.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He's not good defensively and their thoughts on his defensive play aren't much different than Winnipeg fans' thoughts on Myers' defensive play.

Difference is that Gardiner transitions the puck exceptionally well. What he does is worth the defensive foibles if you use him properly.
Like not in the playoffs which is suitable for us I guess.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I bet if we hadn't signed Myers quickly he would be cooling his jets just like Gardiner. Salary cap is flat, RFA's are expensive and there are lots of them, and those two together aren't the greatest UFA crop of d-men.

It's a bit of a unique situation this summer IMO.

I'm not so sure - for all the criticisms one might have of Myers, he was clearly the best RHD on the market. Stralman is the only competition, but Stralman is already in steep decline. Every year, teams look for top 4 options and top 4 RHD are coveted above LHD due to scarcity. At the contract Myers signed, there were always going to be suitors.

Gardiner is probably a better player, but in a less coveted position. He was looking for a more expensive, longer term contract, and obviously didn't find a dance partner.

Reactions: sting101

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm not so sure - for all the criticisms one might have of Myers, he was clearly the best RHD on the market. Stralman is the only competition, but Stralman is already in steep decline. Every year, teams look for top 4 options and top 4 RHD are coveted above LHD due to scarcity. At the contract Myers signed, there were always going to be suitors.

Gardiner is probably a better player, but in a less coveted position. He was looking for a more expensive, longer term contract, and obviously didn't find a dance partner.

It was only leading up to July 1st when news circulated that Myers will sign with Vancouver did the negative comments about take heat. Tell me I'm not surprised. Myers is anything is another Alex Edler caliber dman, a top 3 ish guy, on a good team and a top 3ish guy on a bad team, a top 4 guy.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
why does it feel like the members here will find a random name out there as an excuse to dump on benning?

Benning signs Myers "well we should have gotten Gardiner" wah wah wah, (crap defensively and would have costed much more then Myers)

Benning signs Ferland "we he should have signed Dzingel" wah wah wah benning sucks wah wah wah,

f*** off.

in reality IF we did sign Gardiner that very same Canuck fan on hfboards that said he should have signed Gardiner would have said

"we could have signed Myers for cheaper wah wah wah benning bad wah wah wah"

and if we did sign dzingel

"we could have used Ferland who is more proven then Dzingel who was only forced into a top 6 role because his team was soo bad wah wah wah benning sucks wah wah wah"

so in conclusion no matter who he signs, it's bad move regardless of what Benning does.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
why does it feel like the members here will find a random name out there as an excuse to dump on benning?

Benning signs Myers "well we should have gotten Gardiner" wah wah wah, (crap defensively and would have costed much more then Myers)

Benning signs Ferland "we he should have signed Dzingel" wah wah wah benning sucks wah wah wah,

**** off.

in reality IF we did sign Gardiner that very same Canuck fan on hfboards that said he should have signed Gardiner would have said

"we could have used Ferland who is more proven then Dzingel who was only forced into a top 6 role because his team was soo bad wah wah wah benning sucks wah wah wah"

so in conclusion no matter who he signs, it's bad move regardless of what Benning does.

As to the first bolded statement, Benning's record of work makes it unnecessary to manufacture excuses to criticize him.

As to the second bolded statement, Benning's UFA signings have mostly been bad moves: that's why he gets criticized for them. Most people were just fine with the signing of Benn, as a counterexample.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As to the first bolded statement, Benning's record of work makes it unnecessary to manufacture excuses to criticize him.

As to the second bolded statement, Benning's UFA signings have mostly been bad moves: that's why he gets criticized for them. Most people were just fine with the signing of Benn, as a counterexample.

so in other words, even if we did sign Gardiner which some users is suggesting he will get ripped for it. Just say it boys Benning should just sit on his ass and not sign a single player just to please the small group of Nucks fans on hfboards.com.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
so in other words, even if we did sign Gardiner which some users is suggesting he will get ripped for it. Just say it boys Benning should just sit on his ass and not sign a single player just to please the small group of Nucks fans on hfboards.com.

I didn’t want Gardiner or Myers.

This discussion wasn’t about whether we should have signed Gardiner, it started with claims that they were equal players. They aren’t.

Also the claims that ‘nobody criticized Myers until he signed here’ are hogwash. A bunch of us had him red-flagged as a STAY AWAY guy dating back to when UFA discussions started in earnest in January or so.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Also the claims that ‘nobody criticized Myers until he signed here’ are hogwash. A bunch of us had him red-flagged as a STAY AWAY guy dating back to when UFA discussions started in earnest in January or so.

Pretty much. Before there were any rumours Benning was interested in Myers, people were speculating that he was exactly the player that Benning would go hard after in the summer. Him and Ferland came up many times, and again, before there were any rumours. Its actually hilarious how predictable Jim Benning is.

Anyway, more revisionist history here.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

That's basically the opposite of what I said.

To restate: When Benning makes bad moves, he gets soundly criticized for them. When Benning makes good moves, he gets praised for them.

The fact that his bad moves so vastly outweigh his good moves gives the appearance that he only ever receives criticism. But that's on Benning, not his critics.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
The speculation around here was always 7X7 for Myers. He was the best RHD option after Karlsson in a UFA market thin on defense. He was going to get PAID. It's why that post signing angle of the Canucks floating those numbers heading into free agency to make things look better is such BS. The media, or anyone paying attention really, made an educated guess that Benning would do something stupid based on his body of work. Instead he signed a normal UFA contract for a second pair guy.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The speculation around here was always 7X7 for Myers. He was the best RHD option after Karlsson in a UFA market thin on defense. He was going to get PAID. It's why that post signing angle of the Canucks floating those numbers heading into free agency to make things look better is such BS. The media, or anyone paying attention really, made an educated guess that Benning would do something stupid based on his body of work. Instead he signed a normal UFA contract for a second pair guy.

Media positioning aside, it's not "normal" for a 2nd pairing defender to get paid a 6m AAV. There was an analysis done here, he is being paid like a top2, not a top4.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

How confident are you that the Meyers contract won't become another anchor?

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Gardiner wouldn't have signed here, let alone sign here for 5 years at 6 million each. so we can now stop the "I would have used that money to sign Gardiner instead, Benning is a dummy" b.s
I’m not gonna say Gardiner woulda signed in Vancouver or not. There is no way to know.

I will definitively say that Benning is a stupid moron dummy idiot.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Media positioning aside, it's not "normal" for a 2nd pairing defender to get paid a 6m AAV. There was an analysis done here, he is being paid like a top2, not a top4.

It's normal for a UFA, no? I'd be interested in said analysis.

How confident are you that the Meyers contract won't become another anchor?

I'm not. There's a really good chance it could be in the later years. It's a hot potato contract, for sure, but it is movable so long as Myers is productive. This is no different from Garrison's situation both in contract and potential trade. I wouldn't protect Myers in the expansion draft and I would listen to any offer near or above a 2nd rounder from year one onwards.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

**** off.

You're just completely wrong. Most of the "Benning haters" here (me included) are extremely quick to praise Benning when he makes, y'know, actually good moves. The 2017 deadline where he traded Burrows and Hansen is an example of him being universally praised here. Signing a very competent Benn at a cheap deal was also universally praised.

The problem with Benning is simply that he isn't a good GM and usually makes poor decisions. People aren't "wah wah wahing" about Myers because they irrationally hate Benning. The Myers signing was poor. Point blank, period. It's a massive overpayment for a guy who, at best, is a 4/5D that needs to play sheltered minutes. If they signed Gardiner to that deal, I would be saying that I think it's a fair contract. Because Gardiner is a vastly superior player.

There's no conspiracy against Benning. No one is making up arguments. His body of work speaks for itself. Myers is just another in a long list of bad UFA decisions by Benning.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Myers is tied for the 22nd largest cap hit among all defensemen. That does not indicate second pair money (and honestly he's not even 4D quality). That's a 1st pairing pay grade.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

It depends on the situation you see.

If we already signed the player then the previous teams fans take doesnt matter. They are haters.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You're just completely wrong. Most of the "Benning haters" here (me included) are extremely quick to praise Benning when he makes, y'know, actually good moves. The 2017 deadline where he traded Burrows and Hansen is an example of him being universally praised here. Signing a very competent Benn at a cheap deal was also universally praised.

The problem with Benning is simply that he isn't a good GM and usually makes poor decisions. People aren't "wah wah wahing" about Myers because they irrationally hate Benning. The Myers signing was poor. Point blank, period. It's a massive overpayment for a guy who, at best, is a 4/5D that needs to play sheltered minutes. If they signed Gardiner to that deal, I would be saying that I think it's a fair contract. Because Gardiner is a vastly superior player.

There's no conspiracy against Benning. No one is making up arguments. His body of work speaks for itself. Myers is just another in a long list of bad UFA decisions by Benning.

. Not a benning fan, you can talk about he can could have done this he could have drafted this guy and that, in the end Gardiner is not signed, at the moment, and even we did sign Gardiner you guys will find a way to criticize on the pick anyways. It's also unlikely he would want to sign here, so that's really moot point.

I’m not gonna say Gardiner woulda signed in Vancouver or not. There is no way to know.

I will definitively say that Benning is a stupid moron dummy idiot.

Of course we know, because he didn't sign here or anywhere else at the moment.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
When we sign somebody there was competition to sign him so we have to overpay and/or act fast to ensure we get them. When we don't sign somebody there was no chance he was ever signing here anyways so no worries.

Brilliant.

Fuimus

Jun 24, 2014
Myers is tied for the 22nd largest cap hit among all defensemen. That does not indicate second pair money (and honestly he's not even 4D quality). That's a 1st pairing pay grade.
Just looking at the AAV of players contracts ignores two large factors that determine the size of players contracts: when the contracts were signed & was the player a RFA or a UFA? Instead of looking at the AAV to determine what pairing a players pay grade is referencing the percentage of the salary cap when signed is a more accurate number. Myers ranks 39th in CAP hit % and that doesn't take into account that he was a UFA. I know they play different positions but compare the RFA contract that Boesers camp wants at 7M to the UFA contract that Kevin Hayes got at 7.14M. I would much prefer Boeser to Hayes and it highlights that UFA's generally get paid more than RFA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad